Will OS X 11 El Capitan require another upgrade of 1Password?

Options
RobertGP17
RobertGP17
Community Member

I currently have 1Password running on my iMac with OS X Yosemite. I plan buy the upgrade to 1 Password 5 and also install on my MBA. Will I need to pay for another upgrade when OS X 11 El Capitan comes out?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

What version of 1PW have you currently paid for? I ask because the upgrade from 1PW4 to 1PW5 is free, though the upgrade from 1PW3 to 4 (or 5) is a paid upgrade.

My guess is that 1PW6 will appear shortly after the release of El Capitan, and will be a paid upgrade. But this is just a guess, I have no private information, and am not an AgileBits staffer. Though I doubt if even they know for sure at present, and I would not expect any answer from them until very near the release date.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

One thing to add in this context is that AgileBits has always offered discounted pricing for existing license holders when they release paid upgrades. That helps was the pain. If you have your license from the Mac App Store, however, Apple does not provide any way for developers of offer upgrade pricing. Uses wanting the upgrade will end up paying the same price as everyone else pays on the Mac Aspp Store.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RobertGP17,

The official answer isn't going to be much more helpful I'm afraid. The truth is I don't yet know what the plans are but as soon as we're informed and everything is ready to go public we will do so.

The official line is we do reserve the right to charge for a new major version but that doesn't always mean we do. The move from 1Password 4 to 5 is one instance where we didn't. Let's say you purchase a 1Password 5 licence now and it turns out we do charge for a 1Password 6 licence. You may decide the improvements aren't enough to justify paying again so soon and you continue to use 1Password 5. What I've read about El Capitan wouldn't suggest compatibility issues should be a massive concern as El Capitan seems to be billed as a stability release. They're looking to tighten everything up rather than worry about filling it with new features.

It's one of those tricky areas, do you wait or buy now? Obviously not as bad as waiting for new Apple hardware mind :wink:

Sorry we can't say anything more concrete at the moment.

• RobertGP17
    RobertGP17
    Community Member
    Options

I would think the AgileBits would offer a free upgrade to 1PW6 to anyone purchasing 1PW5 now, if there is an upgrade once El Capitan comes out. That is what I have experienced with other software companies. I currently have 1PW3 and am trying to decide if 1PW5 is worth the upgrade. I also have purchased from Apple the iOS version for my iPad and iPhone. I don't mind sticking with Dropbox for sync instead of iCloud. I don't see any advantage to having iCloud to sync.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@RobertGP17 - I'd say you got your answer from @littlebobbytables, but I could add that when I bought 1Password 3, it was within a window where AgileBits did offer free upgrades to version 4 for those who purchased near the upgrade to version 4. They did announce that in advance. So, as littlebobbytables said, they will announce their policy once it's bee developed.

I have no insight whatever into the AgileBits planning process, but I haven't seen anything about El Capitan that would have made me think it would justify a major upgrade for 1Password. They could release a major upgrade between OS versions, though.

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

We could always start a rumor that it's going to be free. If enough customers believe the rumor, Agile will have no choice but to comply!

Sorry, @littlebobbytables

• RobertGP17
    RobertGP17
    Community Member
    Options

I agree the hawkmoth. Probably won't be a major change to El Capitan and probably not affect 1PW5. I just wish I could come up with a cool name like others in this forum:) I am going to start another thread as I have another subject matter.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

My only contribution to this thread is to note that the correct version numbering of El Capitan is "OS X 10.11" and that the current version of 1Password from the Mac App Store (5.3) seems to work just fine. YMMV

• RobertGP17
    RobertGP17
    Community Member
    Options

I am planning to purchase from Agilebits directly as I only have to pay for the upgrade from 1PW3 to 1PW5 and I am not sure I see an advantage of using iCloud for this function over Dropbox. I already use Dropbox for other sync applications anyway.
    Any thoughts either way? Dropbox or iCloud. Also I may fire up my PC with Windows 8 if I want to be annoyed.

• RobertGP17
    RobertGP17
    Community Member
    Options

Oh yes I know I will have to buy the Windows version too. But that can wait until I see what Windows 10 looks like. It has got to be better than Windows 8. Of course better in the sense that it is still Windows:(

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RobertGP17,

I would think the AgileBits would offer a free upgrade to 1PW6 to anyone purchasing 1PW5 now, if there is an upgrade once El Capitan comes out. That is what I have experienced with other software companies.

We've actually done this sort of thing before - for example, anyone who bought a license for 1Password 3 for Mac in 2013 was given a free upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac when we released it in October, 2013. We try to be generous when it comes to upgrades, and it would probably be reasonable to assume we'd do something similar for the next version - I'd love to be able to tell you that for sure, but since there's no official decision yet, I'd really just be making a guess, and I'd hate to make a promise based on that.

What I can tell you is that we try to do the right thing in these situations. Plus, we have a lot more flexibility when it comes to upgrades for licenses purchased from the AgileBits Store. If you upgrade to 1Password 5 for Mac now, I'll be surprised if you regret that decision once we release a new version. (To be clear, I'm not hinting at anything, it's just my personal opinion based on what I've seen before.)

I don't mind sticking with Dropbox for sync instead of iCloud. I don't see any advantage to having iCloud to sync.

Some folks see iCloud as more convenient since it's built into Macs and iOS devices, so they don't need to sign up for (and set up) a separate cloud sync service. But personally, I also use Dropbox sync for 1Password (as do many others here at AgileBits), and I've been doing that since long before iCloud sync was an option. Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so with regard to security there is not a difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either to protect your data. It's largely a matter of personal preference.

Again, as far as upgrades are concerned, I'm sorry I don't have a more definite answer for you! But hopefully this helps with your decision. We're here for you if you have more questions! :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

An advantage of Dropbox over iCloud is that you can share vaults with others if you use Dropbox, but Apple provides no way to share vaults over iCloud for users with different AppleIDs.

• RobertGP17
    RobertGP17
    Community Member
    Options

I have to say that your prompt reply's have me more at ease in using your software. I was a bit turned off by not having a direct email address to communicate. However I understand your philosophy of posting here so others may get some insights too.
    I will be upgrading to 1PW5 now so I can load it on both my Mac's and use it with the iOS version i already own.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RobertGP17,

I'm glad our replies were helpful!

As for "forums vs email", we're currently encouraging use of our support forums as our first line of customer communication - but we do provide email support as well! So please feel free to email us at support@agilebits.com if you have more questions in the future, and we'll be happy to help. :)

Thanks in advance for purchasing the upgrade to 1Password 5 for Mac! I hope you enjoy using it as much as we love making and supporting it. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know.

This discussion has been closed.