1password & dropbox business account

Options
jfreej
jfreej
Community Member

Hi, I have an iPhone, personal computer (Mac), and work computer (Mac) which I kept 1password in sync using dropbox. Now my company has setup dropbox for business and has disabled the ability to have both a personal account and business account on the same computer. Do you have any recommendations for how I can keep my three systems in sync?
Thank you,
Jeff

1Password Version: 5.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @jfreej,

I'm not familiar with all of the intricacies of the Dropbox business account ecosystem (we just use personal accounts here), but assuming that it essentially means that you have two separate Dropbox accounts, I would suggest creating a folder in your personal Dropbox account and sharing that folder with your business account. You can then reset sync so that 1Password is syncing to that shared folder.

To reset sync across all devices:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, and tap Disable Sync.

• On the Macs, open 1Password for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Macs and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On your home Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your shared Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On your work Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your shared Dropbox folder and select the keychain. You'll be advised that you'll be merging the content of the vaults and prompted for your Master Password.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync.

That should get everything on the same page, but please let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan

Yes, with business account you can have up to 2 Dropbox accounts on one computer. Unless the employer ristricts it to a single business account.

@jfreej

My understanding is if you accept that shared folder, it will be local to you in the business account. None of the other members in the business account would be able to see or access it. Unless it was a TEAM share folder.

Even if it were you can rest assured your data is protected by your master password.

I wish I could give more specific advise. But we moderators at the Dropbox forum are not familiar with business accounts in any great detail. We all use personal accounts.
    We often rely on individuals whom have a business account to provide answers in the forums.

As a side note in the Dropbox forums we often find that the people whom setup a business account don't understand. Specifically the second account. Having said that, many do and that's how they want it.

You may want to casually inquire with the powers that be, unless they have made statements on the subject.

I do know it's not an individual setting. It either allows 2nd accounts completely or disallows them completely. So it's not like you could ask for a personal exemption.

~thightower
    Dropbox and 1Password moderator.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thightower,

Thanks for following up here! :)

• jfreej
    jfreej
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Sharing the dropbox folder from my personal account (and accessing it from the business account) and resetting all the vaults worked well.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jfreej,

That's great to hear you've found a working solution and a big thanks to @thightower as I learnt a fair bit from that post myself.

This discussion has been closed.