Unable to re-enable iCloud sync after deleting data in iCloud [moved to email]

Options
shellyb123
shellyb123
Community Member
edited July 2015 in Mac

Hi. I need help with syncing to iCloud. Everything was going fine and then I deleted the 2 1passwords data files in my iCloud drive. Now I can not sync to iCloud. When I try to sync I get "enable ICloud" and the iCloud drive is already enable. Please help. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling 1password and I get the same error.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.4
Sync Type: ICloud

Comments

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

I know it was dumb to delete the 2 data files in the iCloud drive and in further reading I should of deleted the files in 1password....but I uninstalled 1password and even reinstalled as a new !password user and I still can't get the iCloud sync to work...so there must be a 1password file that is not uninstalling??? and how long do I have to wait for a response because I see support responsing to other posts tonight!!!

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

And why can't CloudKit be backed up on time machine. If I had a time machine backup of the 1password data file on the iCloud drive I would not be having this problem....

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

This is the popup I get:

• JWeaver
    JWeaver
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Here are two articles that you may find useful, especially since you may have data still residing on your iCloud Drive.

How to remove all 1Password data from iCloud

How to reset iCloud data and start fresh

These are only if you want to start over fresh.

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

I already did both of the about and I am still can't connect and sync 1password to iCloud

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

After doing the above.....Then when I tried to sync on my iPad I get this error message..."failed to fetch some record zones" "1Password encountered a problem" If there is 1password data on iCloud it is hidden.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shellyb123: I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble!

Everything was going fine and then I deleted the 2 1passwords data files in my iCloud drive.

Can you elaborate on this? It may just be coincidence, but it sounds like this might be what started the problem. If you cleared some or all of your 1Password data from iCloud, that would explain why it's giving you an error.

The more information you can give, the better! For instance, please tell me the OS and 1Password versions you're using on all devices, and the exact steps you're taking, so we can figure out the best plan of action. If you have all your data on another device, then we can simply back it up and restore it once we've set you up with a fresh vault and gotten sync working.

You'll need to get iCloud Drive working properly on your Mac first though, or 1Password won't even be able to use iCloud to sync. Please let me know what you find. We will get this sorted out for you! :)

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

I was running out of space on the 5 gig allowance in iCloud. and did not want to pay for more. I clicked manage and saw 2 Password vaults, and assumed I only need one, but did not know which one I needed, so I just deleted both and that is when the problems started. I had my vault backup so I thought I could just restore from the backup and sync to iCloud. So yes as you said, I cleared all the data from iCloud and now I can not sync.
    OSX 10.10.4
    IOS on iPhone and Ipad 8.4
    1Password Mac App Store ver 5.3

I tried restoring 1Password from Time Machine.
    I tried uninstalling 1Password and reinstalling from the App Store.
    I tried setting up a new vault as a new user from the new reinstall and tried syncing to iCloud with a new vault.
    I tried the reset data option in 1password help troubleshooting on OS X
    I tried reset data in 1Password in IOS on my iPhone and IPad.
    Noting is working. I can not sync to iCloud.

Thanks for your help.

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

Can someone is support please help me with this. What is really frustrating is that I can't just do a clean install of 1Password and get iCloud sync working again.

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

And by the way this is really a silly way to get support on a software product. An email address, phone number or live chat would be nice! Or is this a one person operation running out of a parents basement?

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

Squeaky Wheel Here!!!!! squeak squeak squeak squeak............

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

"I am sure that between yourself, AgileBits staff, and users such as Stephen_C and myself, we can get this sorted"

HEY HOW ABOUT GETTING MY PROBLEM SORTED OUT!!!!! It is totally unacceptable that a software problem can not be resolve by doing a complete uninstall and a clean install.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You can send email to support+forum@agilebits.com, and you will get support that way. Include a link to this thread in your message. But realize that email support takes more time for a response than the forum typically does. One other thing you may wish to know about getting prompt support on the forum. The support staff typically try to work from the oldest to the newest messages. Every time you post something like your last few messages, the thread moves to the newest category and falls farther to the end of the queue.

This is just some personal advice from an experienced user. I am not an AgileBits employee.

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

Well I guess since I purchased this software on the Apple App Store it's time to contact Apple to request a refund, complain about lack of support i.e. no phone number or live chat, untimely email support, unreasonable forum support, and possible iCloud problems with this software. Again I don't think I am being unreasonable requesting timely support when a software problem can't be resolved by doing a complete uninstall and clean install. And my biggest concern is that 1Password might of corrupted my iCloud account becoming of the continuing sync problems after doing a complete uninstall and clean install of 1Password

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shellyb123 ,

I am so sorry to hear that you're having with 1Password right now, and I'll do what I can to help get this resolved for you as soon as possible. I do understand your frustration, but I just wanted to explain briefly how we organize support here at AgileBits. Our team is available in the forums 7 days a week (and nearly 24 hours a day, thanks to remote workers in various timezones) ensuring that your questions are answered quickly. Unfortunately, we tend to work from the oldest post forward to keep people's wait times short. Each new post in a thread will move it back up to the top of the list, so if you're making multiple posts while waiting for support, you might end up waiting longer than necessary.

So, let's see what we can do to get this straightened out. First of all, I just want to be sure that I understand the situation fully. There's a lot of information here, and I want to be sure that I give you the correct instructions.

• You removed all 1Password data from iCloud.
    • You went through our two articles (as posted by JWeaver above) and neither resolved the issue for you.
    • You have attempted to reinstall 1Password for Mac. After reinstalling, are you still getting the same 'please enable iCloud' pop-up? If this message has changed, please let us know.

Here's one more important question: do you still have access to your 1Password database on any or all of your devices? I just want to confirm that we're working to get sync sorted out, and not also working to recover your database.

Please note: if you use @megan when you reply, I'll receive a notification when you reply and I'll be sure to follow up with instructions.

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

@megan Yes I tried all the above and I have a back up of my database and a sync file on the iCloud drive using the sync file instead of sync iCloud so I can recover all my data, I just need to get the iCloud sync fixed

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

@megan Yes I tried all the above and I have a back up of my database and a sync file on the iCloud drive using the sync file instead of sync iCloud so I can recover all my data, I just need to get the iCloud sync fixed

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @shellyb123 ,

Thanks so much for confirming those details for me. I think the most efficient way to move forward here is to take a closer look at your system. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from each of your devices:

Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

iOS: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Reports in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    Options

@megan The Diagnostics Reports program had me email the report to support@agilebits.com I also sent it to support+forum@agilebits.com. So I received 2 Support ID number.

WDD-41356-221

IZF-75373-652

Do you also need an IOS Diagnostics Report. I removed the IOS 1Password app from my iPhone and iPad since I could no longer sync on iCloud. According to the instructions I would need to reinstall the app to generate the report.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shellyb123,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! If you no longer have 1Password installed on your iOS device, then there's no need to generate a Report (removing the app would have removed any log data as well.)

I see that someone from our support team has already responded - please let us know if you do not see an email in your inbox. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: IZF-75373-652/

• shellyb123
    shellyb123
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

@megan So I have been reading about the new and improved iCloud sync method called "CloudKit" that 1Password is using.

https://support.1password.com/icloud-needs-cloudkit/

Seems to me that 1Password software should have a way to prevent the iCloud sync process from becoming inoperable if a user accidentally deletes the 1Password data files in iCloud or at least resolve the problem after a clean 1Password uninstall and reinstall.

By the way I received an email from your support team asking me more questions but no resolution to my problem!

I am no tech expert but my guess is that there are some 1Password files that are not being deleted with my clean uninstall program so I am unable to do a clean reinstall or by deleting the 1Password data files in iCloud and not going through 1Password, 1Password thinks the data files are still in iCloud and can't find them, so I am getting an "enable iCloud" message.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shellyb123 ,

Seems to me that 1Password software should have a way to prevent the iCloud sync process from becoming inoperable if a user accidentally deletes the 1Password data files in iCloud or at least resolve the problem after a clean 1Password uninstall and reinstall.

Moving to CloudKit for iCloud sync has resulted in a great improvement in the sync experience for users. At this point, it's a bit unclear where things got tangled up in your case, but we're happy to continue working with you via email to ensure that we get you back up and running again! If there's anything that needs to be tweaked on our end to prevent further complications for other users, we'll definitely investigate.

By the way I received an email from your support team asking me more questions but no resolution to my problem!

I apologize that this process isn't going quite as quickly as you'd like. When we're dealing with something as important as your secure password data, we want to be sure that we know precisely where things are getting tangled up so that we give you the best instructions for resolving the problem in a way that keeps your data intact. Sometimes this means we have to ask a few questions just to confirm that we are actually solving the right problem. In this case, the issue you describe is a bit unique, so we are proceeding with caution.

I am no tech expert but my guess is that there are some 1Password files that are not being deleted with my clean uninstall program

In general, we recommend that you do not use an app cleaner when reinstalling 1Password. App cleaners are useful for getting rid of an app that you never want to use again, because they seek out all support files and anything that the app might have saved in a non-standard location so that you can wipe all traces of that app from your system and reclaim your hard drive space. The trouble with using an app cleaner in this case is that it might end up deleting you datafile, which we want to keep around.

I see that Andrew has sent a reply out to you with a list of instructions that should help to resolve your problem. We would prefer to continue this conversation directly via email so that we don't end up duplicating our efforts or causing any confusion. Just to keep things organized, I'll close this thread. Please reply to Andrew's email if you have any questions about the instructions provided. :)

This discussion has been closed.