1Password for Mac or 1Password 5 for Mac (Which One)

Options
homerjsimpson137
homerjsimpson137
Community Member

Which one do I really need. I have 1Password for Mac but 1Password 5 for Mac says this one is needed for iCloud syncing. Weird as like I say, I have 1Password for Mac and I sync just fine with iCloud. Please help me understand why you have two different versions listed on your website, and which one should I really be using for my person Macs (3 of them), iPhones (2 of them) and iPad.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The naming differences are associated with the source from which you downloaded you copy. 1Password 5 comes from the AgileBits web store. Because only applications sold directly by Apple from one of their App Stores can use the protocols for syncing by iCloud, this version can't use iCloud. 1Password (no 5) comes from the Mac App Store. It can use iCloud for syncing, which is the only practical difference in function between the two versions.

Apple has more restrictive policies about paid upgrades than do AgileBits. Apple provides no way to discount paid upgraded for previous licensees, or indeed any other special class. There is one price for everyone there. AgileBits, on the other hand, can and does offer discounted pricing to previous licensees.

Both versions can use Dropbox for syncing. The choice about which version you need is really a matter of taste, with some preferring to have everything within the Apple ecosystem, and others preferring to purchase directly from the developer.

If you have the version from the Mac App Store, you already will have paid for it, since there are no trial versions available from Apple. It may be that the copy of 1Password 5 is a leftover trial version that you never licensed. If all of you data are safely available in the Mac App Store version, you can safely drag 1Password 5 to the trash. If you want to use the AgileBits version, you can get a license from AgileBits for that by sending your Mac App Store receipt to support+licenses@agilebits.com, and they will fix you up.

Let us know if this all makes sense for your situation. Post back with any further questions you may have.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @homerjsimpson137,

I hope hawkmoth's information helped to answer your questions! I see that you bought a license for 1Password 5 for Mac from the AgileBits Store last October, but then got a refund for that when you discovered you needed the Mac App Store version to use iCloud sync. If you bought the Mac App Store version at that point, it would have installed a separate 1Password app on your Mac. If you never deleted the AgileBits Store version from your Mac, you might have both apps installed, so that might be causing the confusion.

Just to reiterate: The Mac App Store app is named 1Password.app, and the AgileBits Store app is named 1Password 5.app (they are both version 5, but the app files have different names). If you have both (and if all your data is in the Mac App Store version), you can simply drag 1Password 5.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning utilities).

We're here for you if you have more questions about that! :)

ref: 760010

• homerjsimpson137
    homerjsimpson137
    Community Member
    Options

Understandable. I have the Apple Store version (1Password) and and ver happy. I guess I need to just remove the 1passwword 5 then. Thanks for all the help.

• Jasper
    edited July 2015
    Options

Right, if you're using the Mac App Store version, you can simply remove 1Password 5.app. :)

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.