Problems accessing my bank account

Options
donmaico
donmaico
Community Member

Hi I used the process suggested on this page but to no avail. The sequence is rather different in that the first page asks for a sort code and account number, the second page asks for a pin number(password) and the third page asks for either memorable date, name, first or last school I attended depending on which one appears on the page .This can vary but when I tried to save on 1Password it was the memorable date page that popped up.In any case it has not worked for me.
I would appreciate any advice .Thanks

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.1
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Some bank logins—like the one you mention—are notoriously difficult. It would be helpful if you could provide the login URL so that someone can test the login (at least to the extent to which that can be done without an account). Of course, there may be someone in the community who has managed to make the login work (although random questions—such as on the last page you mention—are a big challenge).

Stephen

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options
  • Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you—that's most helpful. I can't believe there are not others here with Co-Op Bank accounts so let's see what emerges. (I can't test the login, I'm afraid, as I don't have the relevant account.)

I'm wondering, generally, if the solution to your problem is as indicated in this knowledge base article (which is what I think you intended to link to in your first post):

Using 1Password with login sequences split across multiple pages

but leaving the last page to be completed manually (if that makes sense). I suspect the login can be made to work with a combination of what is suggested in the knowledge base article and then setting 1P so that the final (third) page details do not automatically submit. (Sorry, I've not explained that very clearly—but it's a little difficult without being able to test the login.)

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donmaico,

We should be able to create a single Login item that works with the first two pages. Now I am assuming when you're asked for a PIN or password that it isn't asking for select characters from it. If it's asking for the full PIN or password each time then I would hope that the guide Stephen_C linked you to will help.

The third page is a different matter. Given the question can change, you would need to create a additional Login item per security question and select the appropriate one. That in theory should work. I can't see a way of creating a single Login item though as we can't handle pages that change what they ask for, we can only operate on pages where the required behaviour to log in is consistent which a security page where the answer required can change isn't.

Please do keep us informed. As I say, I would consider treating the first two pages as one Login item and then the security question as another.

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi re https://support.1password.com/create-multi-page-login/mac.html, that is the process I used but to no avail.I suspect the problem lies in the third page and the changing question.On reflection it might be better if I set up a folder in Dropbox for my bank login details and then ensure it cannot sync with my computer so no one can hack into them.
    The process does not work with the Yorkshire building society either
    I also noticed that with some of the non bank sites I have saved on 1 Password I have to copy and paste the password from the last to gain access.Google plus is one example

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

i tried yorkshire building society again .Here the the process is slightly different in as much as it asks for a customer number on the first page and date of birth /password on the second.Then I tried to login using 1 Password but was unsuccessful .As per instructions -"Trigger 1Password as you would normally, selecting the Login entry you just created" I opened 1 Password in the menu above clicked on the YBS icon whilst keeping the first login page open and nothing happened .I then tried the 1 Password application clicking ht eYBS icon on the login list.All that happened then was it refreshed the first login page I am either doing something wrong or it doesnt work

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As a matter of interest what happens when you go to one of the relevant login pages and, with 1P unlocked, use the ⌘\ shortcut to fill in the login?

Stephen

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

nothing unfortunately,I opened 1Password click down the relevant YBS icon, which opened the login page , then did what you said.Its frustrating because all the non bank and Paypal open automatically without doing that but not that one

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

all that happens is that the View buttons flashes when I press cmd /

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

all that happens is that the View buttons flashes when I press cmd /

Sorry, one more check: you are pressing ⌘\ (i.e., back slash rather than forward slash), aren't you? I'm assuming the reference in your previous post was just a typo.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donmaico,

I'm sorry you're still having some trouble using 1Password with the Yorkshire building society site! Would you be able to let us know the URL you're using to log into that site so we can test it? You gave us the URL for the Co-Op Bank site, but I don't believe you've mentioned the website address for the the Yorkshire building society site (unless I missed it).

Also, to make sure I understand, is the problem with the Yorkshire building society site that 1Password is having trouble filling your customer number on the first page? Or is the problem happening on the second page where you're asked for your date of birth and password?

Thanks!

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG ,
    This is the first login page from which I cannot advance at all .
    Thanks

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

Stepehn I muyst confess I was using the forward slash key but the backslash key doesnt do anything either

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donmaico,

You didn't mention the URL for the website where you're having this problem. Would you be able to let us know? If it's not something you feel comfortable posting in a public forum for any reason, we can move this to email.

Once we know the URL, we can go to that website address and test the first login page where you're having trouble. Thanks!

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

do you mean the main address as in http://www.ybs.co.uk/index.html ?

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

sorry i forgot to add it in the previous post

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donmaico,

Thanks for the URL! When I go to http://www.ybs.co.uk/index.html and click on the Login button, it takes me to https://online.ybs.co.uk/public/authentication/login1.do where it asks for a customer number or username. To test this, I entered some random text in that field and then saved a Login item by following the steps in this knowledgebase article. Then I refreshed that page and used the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut, and the fake username was filled in that field. So it should definitely work for you if you follow those same steps (using your real customer number or username, of course). Please try the same steps, and you should have a working Login item for the first page of the login process.

Surprisingly, even though I made up a false username, it still took me to the second page of the login process, where it asked for a date of birth as well as a few specific characters from a password. Although 1Password won't be able to fill those random characters from your password, you can save a second Login item which will fill your date of birth - just select the correct day, month, and year, then use the same steps to save a new Login item. After you create that one, edit it in the main 1Password app and change the "submit" setting to "Never submit". That will make it so 1Password fills the date of birth but doesn't submit it yet, giving you the chance to enter the requested characters from your password.

So just to reiterate, it looks like you will need to create 2 different Login items for that site - one Login item for the page where you enter a customer number or username, and a second Login item for the page where you enter your date of birth. Once you do that, you should be able to press ⌘\ on each page, then select the correct Login item for that page. Does that make sense? Please let us know how it goes, thanks!

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG
    thanks for the help/I am having trouble understanding your last paragraph .I got as far as editing to "never submit"(as per your second paragraph) in the 1Password app, but all i get when i try to log on to YBS clicking the icon in 1 Password is the first page with my customer number filled in.I then clicked on the cmd\ keys but nothing happened.I must be missing something.

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

where I am this moment is after updating existing login on the second page after entering my date of birth, i then edited submit to never submit as you suggested.I had perviously tried starting a second login by saving the second login page , but then neither of them worked so I went back to the updating existing login option.Do I now enter my password and try the same procedure ? Sorry for not quite understanding it

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donmaico,

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my instructions! I'll be happy to explain this in more detail.

First, you're going to need to create 2 different Login items for this particular site - one for the page where you enter your customer number or username, and one for the page where you enter your date of birth. To avoid confusion, I'll refer to them as "YBS Username" and "YBS Date Of Birth" (although you can name those Login items however you'd like). You only need to set "YBS Date Of Birth" to "never submit". Here are the steps to create each Login item:

YBS Username

• Go to http://www.ybs.co.uk/index.html and click the Login button.
    • Type your customer number or username into the field.
    • Click the 1Password mini/extension icon (unlock your vault if required).
    • Click the gear icon and select Save new Login.
    • Give this Login item a unique name (such as "YBS Username"), then click Save.
    • Open the main 1Password app and find the new YBS Username Login item.
    • Click the Edit button, then enter your password for your YBS account in the "password" field.
    • Click Save.

YBS Date Of Birth

• After the above steps, click the Continue button on the website to submit your customer number / username.
    • Select the day, month, and year for your date of birth.
    • Click the 1Password mini/extension icon (unlock your vault if required).
    • Click the gear icon and select Save new Login.
    • Give this Login item a unique name (such as "YBS Date Of Birth"), then click Save.
    • Open the main 1Password app and find the new YBS Date Of Birth Login item.
    • Click the Edit button, then change the "submit" setting to "Never submit".
    • Click Save.

(At this point, if you have previous Login items for that site, you might want to move those to the Trash to avoid confusion.)

After creating those Login items, you can use them to sign into that website by following these steps:

• Go to http://www.ybs.co.uk/index.html and click the Login button.
    • Press ⌘\ and choose your YBS Username Login item (this should fill your customer number / username and take you to the next page).
    • Press ⌘\ again and choose your YBS Date Of Birth Login item (this should fill your date of birth).
    • Type the 3 characters from your password as requested by the website.
    • Click the Continue button.

Now you should be logged into the site. Does it all work as I described or do you run into any problems?

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG
    I got as far as here in your instructions-Press ⌘\ and choose your YBS Username Login item (this should fill your customer number / username and take you to the next page). but it doesnt take me to the next page.I tried the procedure twice and no joy

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donmaico,

In the main 1Password app, please find your YBS Username Login item, click Edit, and make sure "submit" is set to "Always submit". Then click Save. Now try again to follow the steps I gave you to sign into that website. Does auto-submit work on the customer number / username page now?

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

no it didnt, but here is the thing . When I keyed the customer number in and then went to the next page and clicked cmd \, the date came up like you suggested so the procedure works on one page but not the other

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donmaico,

That's very strange, but at least it sounds like we're making some progress if the YBS Date Of Birth Login item is working as expected.

I might be confused about the current problem, though - when you're on the page that asks for your customer number, and you press ⌘\ and choose the YBS Username Login item, what exactly happens? Does it fill your customer number for you, but doesn't automatically submit it? Or is the problem that it doesn't even fill your customer number?

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG
    the latter .I tried it several times but nothing happens

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

It seems tp me that anything to do with banks the security is very tight. I even noticed with my regular online grocery supermarket .I can get post the first login section which takes me to its site , but when i need to make a payment via my bank, its impossible.Mind you I haven't as yet tried the multiple login function

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donmaico,

the latter .I tried it several times but nothing happens

Ok, so when you go to http://www.ybs.co.uk/index.html and click the "Login" button, that should take you to https://online.ybs.co.uk/public/authentication/login1.do (i.e. the page that asks for your customer number). Then you press ⌘\ but nothing happens at all? I'm not sure why it wouldn't work if you followed the same steps that I did. Can you please try a quick test:

• Go to http://www.ybs.co.uk/index.html in your browser.
    • Click the "Login" button.
    • On the next page that asks for your customer number, click the 1Password extension icon in your browser's toolbar.

When you click the extension instead of using the keyboard shortcut, what do you see? If the extension shows your 2 Login items for YBS, try choosing the YBS Username Login item. What happens?

It seems tp me that anything to do with banks the security is very tight. I even noticed with my regular online grocery supermarket .I can get post the first login section which takes me to its site , but when i need to make a payment via my bank, its impossible.Mind you I haven't as yet tried the multiple login function

You're right - bank/financial sites do tend to make it more difficult to sign in as a way to increase their security. Unfortunately that also makes it more difficult to set up Login items for those sites in 1Password. Are you having a problem with 1Password when trying to make a payment from your bank account on the grocery supermarket site? Or do you mean you're having trouble with the site/payment system/bank account? If you're having trouble using 1Password in that situation, we can try to help with that too. But to avoid confusion, let's keep working on the YBS login trouble in this conversation, and perhaps start a new discussion for the problem with the other site since it sounds like a different issue. Thanks! :)

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG
    when I click on the 1 password icon I get precisely the same drop down as when I click cmd \ . (sorry, i dont know how make the cmd icon appear ) From top to bottom it reads :

Search
    YBS
    YBS date of birth
    YBS Username
    Favorites
    Password generator
    logins
    Credit cards
    Social security number
    I select YBS username as you suggested and nothing happens
    I am not sure why YBS appears just below Search as its not in my 1Password app.The other two are

As far as the supermarket is concerned normally at the checkout I would type in the username and password, same as when i first go into the supermarket site .That would take me through a bank security procedure where I type the password which is applicable to my bank account .
    As you say, though, its best to keep that separate

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    Options

not sure if its at all relevant but when I click on the gear next to the Search box only two items are ticked:
    Search Title and fillable URLs
    Submit logins

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donmaico,

Thank you for the detailed information, it's very helpful!

If you're seeing a "YBS" Login item listed in the 1Password extension in addition to the other two, that must mean it exists somewhere in the main 1Password app. It's strange that you're unable to find it, but it's nothing to worry about as far as this issue is concerned, since you don't need to use that one. We can come back to that later though, if you'd like.

I'm puzzled as to why filling the customer number page works for me but not for you. Which browser are you using, and which version of that browser? I see in your original message that you have the latest stable version of the extension installed, so I'd like you to try installing our latest beta version of the extension to see if that helps:

Once the beta extension is installed, please restart your browser, then try signing into that site again. Does the new extension make any difference?

This discussion has been closed.