Can 1Password implement a feature like LastPass's login method in the 1Password Android app?

greyhodge
greyhodge
Community Member

I don't know exactly how they do it, but I believe part of their app registers as an accessibility helper allowing it to spy on inputs and thus recognize of an input is a username and password, then pops up this little hover dialog to let you select. I used to use LastPass and this was a very nice feature.

Image: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GiY5BCT3a3JCPoBzpwGSLjCyqA6VrgwwWDwJEVUB5BeWKuB4sEkLSnrZNgM4-eUmjeY=h900-rw

It works a lot better than switching keyboards.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• saad
    edited July 2015

Hey @greyhodge! Thanks for your support of 1Password. There are a number of considerations that we took into account when designing our filling feature. One of the reasons is because we want to avoid using the system clipboard as much as possible. Android’s system clipboard is susceptible to sniffing and we don’t want to put sensitive information somewhere other apps could gain access to. Our custom keyboard + accessibility service is the best solution we found that allows us to avoid the system clipboard and fill logins almost everywhere in the OS. :)

To read more on the benefits of our current implementation, please have a read through this post . Let me know if you have any questions!

• greyhodge
    greyhodge
    Community Member

Well, I wasn't talking about the copy/paste feature, I was talking about the login filler helper, which I do not believe uses the clipboard. When the features is enabled, it automatically detects logins, and allows you to tap which login you want, and it fills them in automatically, without using the clipboard.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@greyhodge they tried to implement the functionality you're talking about and found it to be very brittle (as I found Lastpass' functionality too) as well as well it not working on webform based app logins.

Like you, I'd love to see something better than the 1Password keyboard but they're somewhat hampered by Android at the moment.

• I'm not exactly sure how filling works on other password managers, but we did previously try an implementation which made use of a feature in Lollipop. This feature allowed us to set text into certain fields, which was great for bypassing copying to the clipboard.

However, after testing that implementation out for a while, we came to realize that there were certain issues with it that would remain unfixable, which is why we went with the keyboard and accessibility service approach.

We are definitely hoping to improve the keyboard, and always open to suggestions! Thanks for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.