Possible Feature Request: Replace password only

Apologies if this feature already exists or has been requested. I skimmed the forums and I didn't see this suggested by anyone else/addressed.

This is a very common scenario:

I log in to a website that I've visited many times in the past. My password has auto-expired and I'm prompted to select a new password. I use 1Password's Generator to create a new complex password and fill in the fields. When I save I am prompted to either save a new login or replace an existing one. Usually, I'll opt to replace the old login but when I do this, my username is now removed and all that is typically saved is are the new password and confirmation password fields and I have to go back and edit the record to add back in my username for future logins.

I would love to see an option on the dialog that pops up to create/replace that recognizes that this is only a password update and gives an option to "replace Password only" leaving the other fields on the record intact (and also saves the password history this way).

Once again, my deepest apologies if either this functionality already exists (please point me in the right direction) or it has already been mentioned.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Mezzanine
    Mezzanine
    Community Member
    Does this now work with Chrome?
  • JudiS217
    JudiS217
    Community Member
    brenty wrote:

I am sorry to say that it does not...yet.

The short version is, you can trust the 1Password prompt: If it offers to "Update" a Login item, this works as expected; however, if it asks to "Replace" a Login item, it will do exactly what it says, essentially overwriting the existing Login in place. I believe this is what Judi ran into. This can be useful when you have a broken Login item that you want to refresh, but otherwise it probably isn't a fun thing if you were expecting something else. :(

The good news is, both the Login Update compatibility and the Chrome extension in general are high on our list. :)

Ah. Well that explains it. I've been using Chrome for so long now I forgot how it works it in other browsers. Thanks for the update. I hope this functionality is implemented soon. :-)
This discussion has been closed.