After updating 1Password, opening a site opens Yahoo instead [Firefox uses Yahoo as the default]

Options
gita
gita
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I just updated 1password newest release 4.6.0.582. Now when I login to site using 1password Yahoo opens automatically. Why?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.582
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gita,

We don't have any code related to Yahoo. Does it happen when you open any sites with 1Password or just one?

Can you tell me which browser you're using? Does that browser have a homepage set to Yahoo?

• gita
    gita
    Community Member
    Options

I am using chrom and Internet explorer.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@gita you need to answer @MikeT's other 2 questions as well.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gita,

I need to know if it happens with any sites or just one site? Are either browser's homepage set to open Yahoo?

• gita
    gita
    Community Member
    Options

Mike it happens on all of the site using 1password. Yahoo opens then
    another tab site I am trying to login opens.

• Did you update any other software recently?
    1Password will never open a site other than the one you're visiting.

To me this sounds like there's something running on your system or inside the browser that will automatically open the Yahoo site.

• gita
    gita
    Community Member
    Options

First I want to thank you for trying to help me.
    I want to say that I do not ever use Yahoo search engine. Also it did not happen until I updated 1password newest version. I have entries in the logins. I open chrome then from 1password extension login to site. It brings the site I am trying to go and another tab Yahoo. It also does the same when I login to 1password open my vault then click on the site I want to login. I have work around where I just close Yahoo window.
    I have another issue which is for some site 1password automatically fills in login info and for some it does not. Will you be able to help with this.
    Thanks again. Gita

• Hey @gita,

Thanks for writing in again.
    Let's push the filling issue aside for a moment because that's a different topic.

The issue with Yahoo opening is strange, though, and I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Windows PC:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/win.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

FYI - This sounds like one or more toolbar "helpers" has been installed. Cleaning this junk out can be very challenging for users.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

@gita Sounds like malware has hijacked your browser homepage. Spigot is notorious for this. Here are some tips to keep you busy.

• gita
    gita
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you all for your help. I solved the yahoo issue. When updated 1password it updated browser to be Firefox and it updated default browser to yahoo.
    Opened 1password/preference/general/checked google chrome.
    Firefox set default to google
    Deleted reference to yahoo

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For the record, 1Password did not do this. Other software did. I'm glad you solved it though. Please let us know if there is something else we can help you with. Thanks!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gita,

Just to let you know, Firefox actually uses Yahoo as the default search engine, they dropped Google a while ago. It sounds like maybe your Firefox profile got refreshed or something that set it back to the default. Source: https://blog.mozilla.org/press/2014/11/yahoo-and-mozilla-form-strategic-partnership/

We do not modify your browser settings in any way.

This discussion has been closed.