Flash ought to die

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited July 2015 in Lounge

Well, yet another zero day exploit found in Flash. How many websites are out there that require Flash as a front end to financial info?

Adobe's logins were Flash based at some point in the past.

It's just bad to rely on something that is nearly impossible to fix for private and confidential details.

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

It's been dead to me for years. Still, that virus needs to be eradicated from the planet.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

From Daring Fireball: Facebook's New Chief Security Officer Wants to Set a Date to Kill Flash:

It’d be nice if Adobe led the way on this, but it isn’t necessary. Apple forever crippled Flash by not allowing browser plugins on iOS. If just a few of the major desktop browsers did the same — say, Safari, Chrome, and Microsoft IE/Edge — Flash would die quickly. It’s already teetering.

And:

Mozilla blocks Flash in Firefox browser as Adobe issues emergency patch for latest security exploits | 9to5Mac

Etc. etc. Anything more to say and discuss about this here that hasn't already been elsewhere? :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I uninstalled Flash from my Mac yesterday, after waffling for quite a long time over whether to do so. So far, I've found only one case of a desktop clock that I was using that won't work anymore, and I found a non-Flash replacement for that. I'm not expecting to miss it otherwise. I now need to try to convince my wife to ditch it too.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I'm more PC than Mac these days. I'll have to look into my Mac to see if Flash is still there. It's gone from my PC laptops with the exception of Chrome. The only thing is that Adobe Air requires Flash.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Uh oh. I can't remember what I need Adobe Air for, but it's something.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Uh oh. I can't remember what I need Adobe Air for, but it's something.

@hawkmoth: Oh no! :lol:

I actually ditched Flash back in Mountain Lion or Mavericks. I still have it in some VMs for testing, and of course I use Chrome for those times — you know the ones — when I'm stuck with a site that requires Flash, but 99% of the time I don't even notice...that is, except that my Mac runs longer and cooler. ;)

It's been dead to me for years. Still, that virus needs to be eradicated from the planet.

@MrC: 'Nuff said. :pirate:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth, I may have been mistaken about Adobe Air requiring Flash. I haven't found any real use for it and I cannot recall the last time I've used Adobe Air. Adobe Air, if you want to check your version, has its own vulnerabilities. Everything has bugs I suppose.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: My strategy for things like Flash is to simply throw it out. This way if I never run into a site that needs it, it never even comes up. But more importantly, if and when it does come up, I can evaluate if it's something that's worth me installing additional software that may pose a security risk, or if I can just live without it or go somewhere else instead.

I thought the same thing about Air back before I ditched Flash — that I would need it for something — but I figured I could always download it again if I needed it rather than having to keep it installed and updated it. But I simply haven't had a need for it since. :)

This discussion has been closed.