Password Error Msg

actaylor
actaylor
Community Member
no longer able to access 1password on iphone
I can't access 1password any longer on my iphone since it was replaced. When I try to access 1password data it asks for the Master Password on Mac or PC and when I key it in it says it is incorrect. Any Idea how to resolve?

Comments

• roustem
    edited April 2011
    actaylor wrote:

I can't access 1password any longer on my iphone since it was replaced. When I try to access 1password data it asks for the Master Password on Mac or PC and when I key it in it says it is incorrect. Any Idea how to resolve?

Welcome to the forum, actaylor!

Are you trying to sync with Dropbox (that is when the master password on Mac or PC is requested)?

If you are trying to access the item stored on iPhone and prompted for the master password then this password could be different from Mac/PC. It is configured right after you install 1Password on iPhone. (Also, if you do not have any items protected with the master password on your iPhone then you can reset it using Settings > Security > Reset Master Password).
  • actaylor
    actaylor
    Community Member
    roustem wrote:

Welcome to the forum, actaylor!

Are you trying to sync with Dropbox (that is when the master password on Mac or PC is requested)?

If you are trying to access the item stored on iPhone and prompted for the master password then this password could be different from Mac/PC. It is configured right after you install 1Password on iPhone. (Also, if you do not have any items protected with the master password on your iPhone then you can reset it using Settings > Security > Reset Master Password).

Iam using Dropbox and have reset the master password on the iphone but still get master password does not match error.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    There are a lot of passwords and codes to keep track of. (That's why you probably bought 1Password in the first place. ) I'll give a list of the ones used in Dropbox syncing.

• iOS device passcode - used to unlock your iPhone or iPad when first turning it on
      This is unrelated to 1Password, but you will obviously need it in order to access your iOS device if you have it enabled (which we strongly recommend).

• 1Password for iPhone unlock code - used to unlock 1Password for iPhone and gain access to low-security items and settings
      This makes it easier to switch back and forth between apps without having to type in a longer, more complicated master password every time.

• 1Password for iPhone master password - used to gain full access to all 1Password for iPhone data
      You will be prompted whenever you are trying to access a high-security item (beyond the Auto-Lock timeout duration) or a setting that requires further authentication. Called "Master password for iPhone" during Dropbox setup.

• 1Password for iPad master password - used to gain full access to all 1Password for iPad data
      You will be prompted for this every time you launch 1Password for iPad.

• Dropbox password - used to login to the Dropbox application and website
      This is only related to 1Password insofar as it is required to access your data file for Dropbox-based syncing.

• 1Password data file master password - used to gain full access to 1Password for Mac and/or Windows and 1PasswordAnywhere
      This can be thought of as the "main" password. All your data can be accessed with this password. Even if you lose your iOS device(s), you can set up Dropbox syncing on a new device using this data file and password. You are only prompted to enter it on your Mac or Windows computer and when accessing 1PasswordAnywhere. If your 1Password for iOS master password is different than this password, you will be prompted to enter it when setting up Dropbox syncing on your iOS device, otherwise, you will not be prompted for this anywhere in 1Password for iOS. Called "Master password on Mac or PC" during Dropbox setup.

All of these passwords are set independently, so it is up to you if they are all identical or unique. We recommend always using unique passwords for everything, but the choice is yours. Please be sure you are entering the right password at each prompt. I have bolded the two above which I believe may be mixed up in your situation.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • actaylor
    actaylor
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

There are a lot of passwords and codes to keep track of. (That's why you probably bought 1Password in the first place. ) I'll give a list of the ones used in Dropbox syncing.

• iOS device passcode - used to unlock your iPhone or iPad when first turning it on
      This is unrelated to 1Password, but you will obviously need it in order to access your iOS device if you have it enabled (which we strongly recommend).

• 1Password for iPhone unlock code - used to unlock 1Password for iPhone and gain access to low-security items and settings
      This makes it easier to switch back and forth between apps without having to type in a longer, more complicated master password every time.

• 1Password for iPhone master password - used to gain full access to all 1Password for iPhone data
      You will be prompted whenever you are trying to access a high-security item (beyond the Auto-Lock timeout duration) or a setting that requires further authentication. Called "Master password for iPhone" during Dropbox setup.

• 1Password for iPad master password - used to gain full access to all 1Password for iPad data
      You will be prompted for this every time you launch 1Password for iPad.

• Dropbox password - used to login to the Dropbox application and website
      This is only related to 1Password insofar as it is required to access your data file for Dropbox-based syncing.

• 1Password data file master password - used to gain full access to 1Password for Mac and/or Windows and 1PasswordAnywhere
      This can be thought of as the "main" password. All your data can be accessed with this password. Even if you lose your iOS device(s), you can set up Dropbox syncing on a new device using this data file and password. You are only prompted to enter it on your Mac or Windows computer and when accessing 1PasswordAnywhere. If your 1Password for iOS master password is different than this password, you will be prompted to enter it when setting up Dropbox syncing on your iOS device, otherwise, you will not be prompted for this anywhere in 1Password for iOS. Called "Master password on Mac or PC" during Dropbox setup.

All of these passwords are set independently, so it is up to you if they are all identical or unique. We recommend always using unique passwords for everything, but the choice is yours. Please be sure you are entering the right password at each prompt. I have bolded the two above which I believe may be mixed up in your situation.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!

After trying a number of things including resetting the Master Password on 1Password on iphone, changing all the entries on the Mac so they would be downloaded again I still had the problem so i tried changing some items on the Mac to low security to see if I could access them then on the iphone which worked. Then I tried changing them back to high security on the Mac and now they say high security on the iphone but are not asking for the Master Password. Not sure if it is a syncing issue or if the entry security level on the iphone and the entry security on the Mac mean something different.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Your master password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac/Windows and your 1Password iOS app(s). Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password iOS apps because of the interaction using the much smaller virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another. It sounds like your master password on your iPhone is not the same as the one on your Mac and you have forgotten it.

Your master password is used to encrypt all your confidential information for each item that has the master password enabled; without this password the data in these items cannot be recovered. Your 1Password master password is known only by you, and we cannot reset it for you; if we could, that would be a security hole that criminals could use to steal your data.

If you cannot remember the password, you will need to reset your master password. Make sure you're using the latest version of 1Password on your iOS device and then navigate to More > Settings > Security and tap Reset Master Password. Note that any entries that were previously protected by the master password will be permanently lost.

If you reset the database there are a few ways to retrieve your data after the reset:

* If you've been using Dropbox to sync your data with 1Password for Mac or Windows, just set up Dropbox syncing again, and your data will start syncing to your iPhone automatically. Please see this guide for instructions:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html

* If you've previously sync'ed your 1Password data with 1Password for Mac using Wi-Fi, you can easily restore your data during the next Wi-Fi sync:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/sync_to_mac_manually.html

* If you've used the built-in "backup and restore" feature to save a backup copy of your 1Password data, you can use it again to restore that saved backup file. You can read more about our backup and restore option here:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/backup.html

Please make sure to remember your master password since we have no way to recover it for you. Perhaps enter the same one you use on your Mac when you are prompted to enter a new master password on your iPhone after resetting it.

Please let me know how how it turns out.
This discussion has been closed.