Two copies of 1P: what to do?

Stephen_C
Stephen_C
Community Member
This discussion was created from comments split from: I attempted to delete 1PASSWORD 4 after installing 5 using 'AppCleaner'..

Comments

• hawk_1
    hawk_1
    Community Member

This topic is interesting because I am a new user. After buying 1Password5 from App store, setting up 1Password5, I looked in Finder and saw I had 1Password and 1Password5. I thought that the only program I needed was "1Password5", so I sent "1Password" to the trashcan. I've set up some websites in 1Password5 and they work.
    Should I have "1Password" in my Applications folder also? And, if so, and I take out of Trash and put back in Applications, will that cause a problem with 1Password5?
    Hawk_1

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@hawk_1 I have split your post from the thread in which you posted and created a separate thread for you because your post had nothing to do with the subject of the original thread and you'll find it easier to get answers like this.

1Password 5.app is the version from the AgileBits store. 1Password.app is the version from the Mac App Store. You should not have both versions on your Mac because OS X Yosemite will on occasion become confused about which version of 1P mini to launch (even if one version of the 1P app is in the trash).

I imagine you might want to keep the Mac App Store version—at least if you ever might want to use iCloud to sync your 1P data. Take a look at this knowledge base article:

Should I buy 1Password from the AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store?

Once you've decided which version you want to keep please let us know and someone will confirm what steps you need then to take to ensure:

• you're running the correct version; and
    • the version you're running is the up-to-date one with all your data in it.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hawk_1: Indeed. You probably don't want to keep both installed, as it might cause confusion. Just let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll help in any way we can! :)

• hawk_1
    hawk_1
    Community Member

Brenty,
    Thank you and Stephen for the replies.
    As I understand, because I am using 1Password5 on MacBook Air and I purchased from the App store 1Password, I should be running 1Password, which resides now in my trashcan. I know how to take something out of Trash and restore. Since I have set up 1Password5 with credit card info and sign in info for some sites, how do I switch the information from 1Password5 to 1Password? Then once that is accomplished, does it then become the latest version?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

The first thing to do is to restore from the trash the 1Password.app file. You're then going to need to compare the data you have in both versions to ensure that the 1Password.app is up to date before you delete the 1Password 5.app. Please do this:

1. Launch the 1Password.app and then press control + cmd + Q to quit 1Password and close 1P Mini at the same time.
    2. Now launch the 1Password 5 app by double-clicking on that name in your Applications folder. In the Search dropdown of the main app screen click on the down arrow and choose Recently Changed Items, which will display items you have recently added or changed. (Note you can change the period of days back that you're checking.) You can now have an idea of what you need to transfer to your 1Password.app.
    3. When you know the items you need to transfer select them in the list of items, go to 1P > File > Export > Selected Items... and use the suggested default to export in 1Password interchange format. Save the file where you can find it easily. Now press control + cmd + Q to quit 1Password and close 1P Mini at the same time.
    4. You can now launch the 1Password.app and import those items from the .pif file. When you have done that again press control + cmd + Q to quit 1Password and close 1P Mini at the same time.

You can now delete the 1Password 5.app by dragging that file to the trash but don't use any app cleaner tool when you do that.

It may be that others will suggest some supplemental tidying but this basic outline should get things working for you. Please ensure you securely delete the *.pif file from step 3 once you've used it because it contains unencrypted information.

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@hawk_1 - Take a look here to see how to make the transition:

Switching to the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store

• hawk_1
    hawk_1
    Community Member

Well, Stephen, I messed up. I had only used 1P for about a day after setting up before I started 1P5, and on setting up 1P5 I threw away the password for 1P. So now when I have restored 1P I can't remember what the Master Password was.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I suggest in that case you re-download from the Mac App Store then follow the article to which @hawkmoth linked.

Stephen

• hawk_1
    hawk_1
    Community Member

Stephen, thank you for your patience.

• hawk_1
    hawk_1
    Community Member

Stephen, I have re-downloaded from Mac App Store 1Password. However, it is not a clean new file, I am still being asked for the Password created last week. So, at this time I have the new downloaded 1Password from Mac App, and the 1Password5 which I am able to log into. So what is a suggestion on how to get this started again? Thanks.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

Deleted my post, lest it cause confusion and loss of data.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@hawk_1 what you need to do is to refer to this knowledge base article:

How do I start over with an empty vault?

Look specifically at this section of that article and follow the instructions for removing the Mac App Store's version of 1P data.

I'm hoping that once you've done that you'll be able to launch the 1Password.app without being prompted for your old password and it will offer to import your data from the 1Password 5.app (for which you may have to provide that master password, of course).

Stephen

• hawk_1
    hawk_1
    Community Member

Stephen,
    I have followed the section you refer to. I've copied the file to Desktop. When launching 1Password it wants my Old password. I don't have it. Surely 1Password must have a way to start completely over. At this point I don't have a problem with losing all data. I've only been using this for couple of days. Somewhere there has to be hidden files with data 1Password is looking to knowing I had entered passwords.
    I'm willing to delete everything just to begin anew.

Ed

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

@hawk_1 said:

Surely 1Password must have a way to start completely over.

That page @Stephen_C pointed you to has instructions for starting over with a new vault for both versions of 1Password - the one from the AgileBits web store (1Password 5.app) and the one from the Mac App Store (1Password.app). If you follow both sets of instructions, you should be all set for starting over from scratch with the version you prefer to keep. Since you say you prefer to keep the Mac App Store version, drag 1Password 5.app to the trash, if you haven't already done that. Then empty the trash and restart you computer for good measure. Then fire up 1Password.app.

• hawk_1
    hawk_1
    Community Member

hawkmoth,
    I sincerely apologize that I am causing so much of a problem. I have sent to Trash both 1Password and 1Password5, then emptied Trash,
    re-downloaded 1Password from App Store.
    When I go to 1Password, click "About," it indicates "1Password, Ver 5.3 from Apple". It indicates my five Log-Ins I had created and my credit card info which I put in with 1Password5. I am using the Master Password I created with 1Password5 when I log in to "1Password."
    Have I now started using 1Password?

Ed

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

When I go to 1Password, click "About," it indicates "1Password, Ver 5.3 from Apple".

That is the Mac App Store version so sounds right.

It indicates my five Log-Ins I had created and my credit card info which I put in with 1Password5. I am using the Master Password I created with 1Password5 when I log in to "1Password.

That sounds as though it's also picked up the information you'd added to the AgileBits store version when you were using that.

Have I now started using 1Password?

Yes. You're using the Mac App Store version which seems to me to contain the 1P data you need. If you have any further problems just let us know.

Stephen

• hawk_1
    hawk_1
    Community Member

Stephen,
    Thank you for verifying I'm using the correct version. What I now have to do is contact Apple Support concerning the iDrive in iCloud because when I try to Sync I am getting the message in iCloud that I have the OLD sync which was "1Password" and the new sync with this newly created 1Password, and do I want to merge the two. However, to do that I have to enter that first password, which I can't remember, so I have to cancel trying to sync. I am going to ask Apple how do I clear out of iCloud the first version.
    Hawk

• hawk_1
    hawk_1
    Community Member

Good morning, Stephen,
    Well, I have just gotten off the phone with senior tech at Apple Support. I have been told there is nothing Apple can do to eliminate the OLD version I sent to Cloud on July 14th, which is one that has the Master Password that I cannot remember. As you are aware, this is what started my problem.

Anyone reviewing this, PLEASE take note: Write your Master Password down in safe place until you are sure everything is working.
    This is MY fault that all of this has happened.

As stated, after completely deleting 1Password and 1Password5, re-downloading from App store 1Password, I am coming along very well in the program. However, as stated in last message, when I try to sync new 1Password to iCloud it sees I have the OLD 1Password there and wants to have my OLD password in order to merge. I cannot remember OLD password.

Apple says there is nothing they can do, so syncing is no longer an option.

Any suggestions?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Try this knowledge base article:

How to reset iCloud data and start fresh

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hawk_1,

It looks like you've been receiving some excellent help here from Stephen and Hawkmoth! Please let me know if you have any questions after following the instructions to reset iCloud data, I hope this gets things straightened out for you!

• hawk_1
    hawk_1
    Community Member

Stephen,
    Can you hear me very quietly cheering? I followed your advice and was able to sync this computer to iCloud (I think) because it shows it there on the web site. It never came up with screen saying there was another version in the cloud. Thank you for the support and hanging in there with me. After a few times of syncing to the cloud I hope it's working.
    Hawk

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hawk_1,

On behalf of @Stephen_C, you're very welcome! I'm sure he'll be happy to hear it's working for you now (I'll make sure he gets a notification about that).

It sounds like iCloud sync is working, and if you install 1Password on another Mac or iOS device, you should be able to sync your data to it via iCloud. If you need more help with that or have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're always glad to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.