Cannot find 1Password data file in Dropbox

iPhone DropBox data file not found
Attempting to set up on iPhone 3GS using DropBox. Got the connection to DropBox but get the message: "Cannot find 1Password data file in Dropbox"

My keychain is stored in a folder at the root of the DropBox folder. I can see it there in the DropBox app on the iPhone. My iMac had no problem finding it and my MacBook Pro is also connected and working. Does the keychain file need to be in some specific place for the iPhone app to work?

Comments

• Do you use symlinks to store the data file in Dropbox by any chance?
  • No symlinks, just the keychain file sitting in a folder at the root level of DropBox.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Welcome to the forums, LarryPDX1!

If you log into the Dropbox website, you should see a file called .ws.agile.1Password.settings which should contain the path to your data file. If you open that file in TextEdit (or other text editor) what does it contain?
  • The file on both my iPhone and the website is the same: Test/1Password.agilekeychain

HOWEVER I discovered that I had entered a different DropBox user account name into the original sync setup for 1Password than I was using on the iPhone DropBox app. Both DropBox accounts have the same structure and the same files in it but apparently your app and the DropBox app on the iphone need to be pointed at the same DropBox account. (Makes sense.....)

Once DropBox and 1Password pointed to the same DropBox account all was well and the sync seems to have been successful.

Thanks for your help. -- Larry
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Aha! Thanks for the update. I'm glad everything is working well now. :-D

Dropbox syncing is great, but there is one fatal flaw: you must use the same account across all 1Password installations. :lol:

(Technically, you could set up a shared Dropbox folder if you need to use multiple Dropbox accounts. But please be aware that the single data file in the shared folder is would be the only one supported in both accounts since only one data file per Dropbox account is supported.)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
  • khad wrote:

Aha! Thanks for the update. I'm glad everything is working well now. :-D

Dropbox syncing is great, but there is one fatal flaw: you must use the same account across all 1Password installations. :lol:

(Technically, you could set up a shared Dropbox folder if you need to use multiple Dropbox accounts. But please be aware that the single data file in the shared folder is would be the only one supported in both accounts since only one data file per Dropbox account is supported.)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!

Hi,
    I;m having the same problem! But I've got only one Dropbox account! So no wrong account confusion here! :(
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Karthik. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

Can you tell me the path of your data file on your Mac?
  • khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Karthik. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

Can you tell me the path of your data file on your Mac?

Hi,

same problem here. Using latest windows version, just created a test file defined in my Dropbox (E:\My Dropbox\My Dropbox). The folder is called 1Password.agilekeychain which contains

10/02/2011 17:08 312.578 1Password.html
    28/01/2011 15:15 15.086 AgileKeychain.ico
    08/05/2011 02:23 <DIR> config
    08/05/2011 02:23 <DIR> data
    08/05/2011 02:30 <DIR> a

I wonder why everything is soo complicated always when I try to set up whichever program that in principle is supposed to work out of the box... :(

Thanks
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Welcome to the forums, kitus! I am sorry you are also having this problem.

It looks like you have a "My Dropbox" folder inside a "My Dropbox" folder. Do you know which one is actually your Dropbox folder listed in Dropbox's preferences? (Perhaps it was a typo. Did you mean \My Documents\My Dropbox instead?)

Also, can you tell me if you have the .ws.agile.1Password.settings file in your Dropbox folder like this?

20110504-x9qaequewg9ankcmwtr3t9fa9w.png

If so, can you copy and paste the contents you see when you click on the file in your reply here? It should include the relative path to your data file within your Dropbox folder. For example, mine is simply:

1Password.agilekeychain

If I put my data file in a folder called "Secret Stuff" it should show:

Secret Stuff/1Password.agilekeychain

Please let me know. Thanks!
  • wazum
    wazum
    Community Member
    *hiya!*

I have the same problem.

Latest version of 1Password for mac, activated Dropbox sync,
    all I got was the folder 1Password.agilekeychain, but no file .ws.agile.1Password.settings

Now I created one with the content you suggested here:

khad wrote:

If so, can you copy and paste the contents you see when you click on the file in your reply here? It should include the relative path to your data file within your Dropbox folder. For example, mine is simply:

1Password.agilekeychain

If I put my data file in a folder called "Secret Stuff" it should show:

Secret Stuff/1Password.agilekeychain

Please let me know. Thanks!

but it still does not work. I sent a report from my phone with detailed information.
    Please take a look.

tia
    kind regards
    Wolfgang
  • Having same problem as wazum, above. Just purchased 1Password from Mac App Store and 1Password Pro for iPhone/iPad. Dropbox folder is in home folder on Mac, fully synced; 1Password.agilekeychain is in the root of my Dropbox folder. Syncing over WiFi worked, so OK for now, but would much prefer Dropbox syncing.

Thanks for any help!
  • Hi mmongrain,

Welcome to the forums. :)

Please check out Khad's post above: #10
  • Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2011
    If you do NOT have a .ws.agile.1Password.settings file in Dropbox, please open Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities) and paste in the following command:

echo 1Password.agilekeychain > ~/Dropbox/.ws.agile.1Password.settings

Hit enter, and then try again on your iPhone.

If you are on Windows, open up Notepad (Start > Run > Notepad) and paste into a new document:
    1Password.agilekeychain

Save this file as .ws.agile.1Password.settings inside your Dropbox folder.

There should NOT be a new line (blank line / carriage return) after the "1Password.agilekeychain" ... if there is, please remove it.
  • Thanks for the lightning quick reply, bwoodruff. Things seem... better now? It seems able to locate the file on Dropbox, but can't get past "Loading remote encryption keys" during the setup on either iPhone or iPad, and so still won't sync. Any suggestions?

I should say that I'm otherwise super happy with 1Password so far, great UI, great functionality.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thank you for the kind words! Now we really have to get this resolved. :lol:

Please try changing your master password in 1Password on your Mac (you can change it right back). This will regenerate the encryption keys.
  • Nope, same problem, unfortunately. Tried changing it thrice just to be sure. Now the apps also crash sometimes while setting up the sync process :(
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? To generate the report from 1Password on your Mac, open 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report. Then attach the entire file to an email to [email protected].

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.
  • I've been having the same problem. I did what bwoodruff suggested, and it gets further, but now it says:
    "Dropbox sync failed to download remote encryption keys. Make sure Dropbox is fully synced on your desktop."
    Dropbox is definitely fully synced.
    So now what...?
    I really want this to work, because I've heard so much about it (mostly from "Back to Work" on the 5by5 network)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2011
    Welcome to the forums, miocyon. I'm sorry that you are having this trouble as well. We love Dan and Merlin, so we will make sure we don't let you (or them) down. Have you sent in a DR as I suggested in the preceding post? I looked in our inbox but couldn't find one from you (based on the email address you used to sign up for the forums). If I should be looking for a different email "from" address, shoot me a PM to let me know. I'd love to get this resolved for you.

Cheers,
  • Unfortunately I'm having the same problem as miocyon. I'd like to sync my Mac with my iPhone and iPad through the dropbox option, but am getting the encryption keys error. I'm using the MAS-version of 1Password on my Mac, but can't seem to find the diagnostic report function to send it to you guys.
    Hopefully you can help me to solve this problem.

Kind regards!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    My apologies for the trouble. The Diagnostic Report menu item is not available in 1Password 3.9. To generate the report you'll need to download this troubleshooting application:

http://cdn.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac/util/1Password Troubleshooting.zip

This is a new tool we're working on. It's in zip format, so after downloading it your browser may have expanded it for you, or you may need to do so by double-clicking on it using the Finder. You should end up with the 1Password Troubleshooting application -- ready to run. You can move it to any location you normally keep software, or leave it where it is for a quick run.

Launch the 1Password Troubleshooting application and you should see some tabs near the top of the window. Please click on the Diagnostics Report tab heading, and then click on the "Create Report" button. Within a few seconds, a pretty blue image should appear -- indicating the report is ready (this is just like the Diagnostics Report option in prior versions of 1Password for Mac). There's now an Export button you can use to save the report, attach it to an email addressed to [email protected].

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can "connect the dots."
  • Thanks Khad!
    I sent you guys an e-mail with the report. Hope to hear from you soon.
  • I tried looking for how to generate a DR using the instructions you gave above ("Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report"), but there is no 'Troubleshooting' under the help menu.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    miocyon,

Are you using the MAS version if so please see khads post above

http://forum.agilebi...dpost__p__51216
  • I had the same issue, and here’s what worked for me:
    1. Ran
      echo 1Password.agilekeychain &gt; ~/Dropbox/.ws.agile.1Password.settings

from the terminal to get the missing .ws.agile.1passord.settings-file.
    2. Changed my master password on the Mac to generate new encryption keys.
    3. Temporarily moved my database out of the Dropbox-folder (“Stop using Dropbox” in the mac app settings), and then moved it back in (you guessed it: “Start using Dropbox”).

I suspect simply skipping step 1 & 2 might also work, though…
  • Hey Twisted Intellect!
    Thnx for the tips! I did you step-by-step thing and although they didn't really solve my problem on their own, they did lead me to the solution!
    Apparently the i-devices make a difference between the dropbox-password and the password i use to protect the 1Password-app (Master password). This seemed to be the solution:

On my i-device, I did a reset for the dropbox-setup and set it up again using my Dropbox username and password. After that (and getting the error again), I went to the "Account" tab and put in my Master password for 1Password. Now it just works! :) Hope this might help everyone else that's having the same difficulties.

Thnx everyone for your contributions (and you Agilebits-guys for making these superb apps)!
  • Any word on this problem? I'm stuck in the same place as mmongrain. I did the recommended terminal command (I don't have a .ws.agile.1Password.settings file in Dropbox). Now I'm frozen in the Login to Dropbox screen on the iPhone. Says "Loading remote encryption keys."
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    The .ws.agile.1Password.settings file will be invisible on your Mac. You will need to verify its existence through the Dropbox website.

If you don't have that file in the root of your Dropbox folder, you will need to click the "Stop Using Dropbox" button in 1Password's preferences and then wait for Dropbox to finish syncing. Once it has finished syncing, you can click the "Use Dropbox" button.

You may also need to reset Dropbox syncing on your iOS device: 1Password > Settings > Sync > Dropbox > Account > Reset

If you are still having trouble, can you please send us a Diagnostics Report as I described in my post above? We'd love to get things working well for you. :-)
  • Resetting Dropbox syncing on iOS devices was the step I had not done and got things working for me. Everything is syncing beautifully now - thank you!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Huzzah! Thanks for the update. That's great news. :-)
This discussion has been closed.