Incomplete synching

Options
janmel
janmel
Community Member

On my iPhone a serial number was missing from a Software licence file. Computer and iPad files matched.
To see what was happening I added some text to the file on the computer. This synchronised to the iPad but while the missing serial number now appeared on the iPhone the ‘new’ bit of text has not.
This is worrying.

3.822 on computer 10.10.3

8.something on iPhone and iPad
Synching via Dropbox

The ‘resolve conflict’ function does not seem to work nor can i create a ‘Diagnostic Report’ Gear just spins and spins.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @janmel,

I hope you don't mind, but since the problem seems to be happening with 1Password on your iPhone, I've moved your message to our iOS forum. I'm sorry something seems to be going a bit wrong with Dropbox sync!

Just to make sure I understand: A Software License item wasn't appearing on your iPhone, but was on your Mac and iPad. You edited that item on your Mac and the new changes synced to the iPad. The item also synced to your iPhone, but without the new changes you made. Is that all correct?

If so, it will help if you can let us know some additional details:

• What exact version of 1Password is installed on your iPad and iPhone?
    • Aside from your Mac, iPhone, and iPad, what other devices/computers are you syncing with 1Password (if any)?
    • Since you posted your message, have the new changes to that Software License item synced to 1Password on your iPhone?
    • Please add a new Secure Note item to 1Password on your iPhone. Does that sync to your Mac and/or iPad?
    • Open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Sync. What does it show next to "Last Sync"?
    • On your Mac, move or copy a file (text file, photo, even an empty folder) to the Dropbox folder. Does that file/folder show up in the Dropbox app on your iPhone?

Thanks in advance!

• janmel
    janmel
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I think you are right in understanding the issue but just to be clear:

All Information except one line in a software licence document synchronised with the iPhone and iPad
    I added a word to the file on the computer.
    This synched correctly to the iPad but not the iPhone
    On the iPhone the original missing line now appeared
    But not the new word I added.

5.4.3 on the iPhone
    Another iMac and another iPad
    No change to the file at issue
    New note synched to computer and iPad
    4 seconds go
    Yes

Hope this helps

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @janmel! Strange that the new note synced to the other devices, but the new word you added to the Software License item does not sync to that iPhone. It sounds like you sync your 1Password data between 2 Macs, 2 iPads, and 1 iPhone. Are you having any similar issues on any of the Macs or iPads, or just on the iPhone?

One thing that might help is to reset Dropbox sync. But to make sure we give you the correct steps, I'd like to confirm which version of 1Password you're using on each device. You said you're using 1Password 3.8.22 on one Mac, and 1Password 5.4.3 on your iPhone. Can you please let us know which version is on your other Mac and on each iPad?

Also, it looks like you purchased a license for 1Password 5 for Mac earlier this year. Is there any reason why you're using 1Password 3 on your Mac instead of version 5? We'll be happy to help you switch to version 5 if you'd like.

• janmel
    janmel
    Community Member
    Options

I have checked the file this started with it synchs correctly on all iPads and computers

4.43 on the ‘other’ mac
    Yes I must switch I was running Mavericks until recently and I think the reason I did not install it was because it was incompatible
    5.43 on the iPad

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @janmel,

Thanks! So, I think some of this might be a little easier if you install 1Password 5 on your Mac (with Yosemite) first. You can download that from our download site. Once downloaded & unzipped, move 1Password 5.app to the Applications folder, then double-click on it to open it. It should find the existing data from 1Password 3 or Dropbox on that Mac. Once you have your data in 1Password 5, you may need to set up Dropbox sync (or that might be taken care of during the setup).

I've resent your license info to your email, so you'll be able to easily apply your license file to 1Password 5.

Now assuming all goes well with that, and you have all your data in 1Password 5 on that Mac, try making another change to that Software License item in 1Password 5 and see if it syncs to your iPhone (as well as the other devices). If it's working now, you should be all set. If it's still a problem, you can try resetting Dropbox sync. First, you should backup your data as a precaution. On that same Mac, open 1Password and go to File > Backup.

When you're ready, go ahead and follow these steps to reset Dropbox sync:

On your Mac with 1Password 5:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab, then change the sync from Dropbox to None.
    • Check the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    • Open your Dropbox folder on that Mac and make sure the .agilekeychain has been deleted.
    • Go back to the Sync preferences in 1Password, and select Dropbox from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    • Click Create New to create a new 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox/1Password.
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

Your other Mac and your iOS devices should stop syncing when they realize the .agilekeychain was removed from Dropbox, and you'll get an error message about that on each one (which is expected). You'll need to re-enable Dropbox sync on the other Mac and each iOS device. When you do that, make sure to select the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox/1Password/. Enter your master password when prompted, and choose to merge the vaults. (If you need specific steps to re-enable Dropbox sync on those, please let me know.)

Hopefully that solves the problem! Let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions.

• janmel
    janmel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I have upgraded to 5.
    Hmm. After upgrading and synching everything the iPhone still did not display the previously mentioned text nor a new test word following the upgrade. In that idle sort of way one tries to understand what is going on I thought I would see if this file would synch the 'other way'. Clicking the 'edit' button to do this on the iPhone revealed the missing (what I thought to the non synching) bits of text. Clicking 'done' and the text disappears from view. So I guess synching may not have been the problem.

• Ben
    Options

Interesting. So the text will show if you are in edit mode but disappears again after exiting edit mode?

I'd like to have you generate and send us a diagnostics report:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.