Upgrading to 1Password 5 / Using / syncing with IOS app

Options
flight23
flight23
Community Member

Hi,

I currently have installed 1Password Version 3.8.22 (build 32010) and have been using it solely on my Mac for several years (never used it on any other devices or synced the data file to any cloud service).

1. If I purchase and download 1Password 5.3 from the Mac Appstore, will the software upgrade my current version without issue and will I have to update the browser extensions manually?

2. I'd like to start using 1Password on my iPhone 6 and host the main data file in iCloud. Is the 1Password.agilekeychain file uploaded to the cloud?

3. I know my backups of my data file is stored locally in a backup folder on my hard drive. Can back ups files be set up to back up to the cloud?

4. I'll be downloading the latest 1Password app for iPhone. Will I'll be able to use touch ID instead of entering a password? Also, is syncing with iCloud done automatically on my iPhone where it downloads the latest 1Password.agilekeychain file?

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @flight23,

Good questions! I'm happy to hear you're thinking of upgrading to 1Password 5 for Mac, and maybe starting to use 1Password on your iPhone as well.

If I purchase and download 1Password 5.3 from the Mac Appstore, will the software upgrade my current version without issue and will I have to update the browser extensions manually?

1Password 5 will be installed as a separate app from 1Password 3, and when you open version 5 for the first time, it should be able to find your existing data file from version 3. If for some reason it doesn't, it's very easy to transfer your data from one to the other, and you can find some more information about that in our user guide, as well as in this knowledgebase article. We'll also be happy to help if you run into any trouble!

As for the extension, you'll need to install the new one that works with 1Password 5. To do that, open the 1Password 5 app and go to the menu for 1Password > Install Browser Extensions. Follow the steps on the website that opens to install the extension. You'll also need to delete (or disable) the version 3 extension (you should get a message about that when you install the new one).

I'd like to start using 1Password on my iPhone 6 and host the main data file in iCloud. Is the 1Password.agilekeychain file uploaded to the cloud?

No, not if you use iCloud sync. The .agilekeychain format is still used in 1Password 5 for Dropbox sync and Folder sync, but iCloud sync uses a different format. But it's nothing you need to worry about, as 1Password will take care of that all for you if you enable iCloud sync (you won't actually be seeing the data file in iCloud).

I know my backups of my data file is stored locally in a backup folder on my hard drive. Can back ups files be set up to back up to the cloud?

No, you won't be able to change the location where backups are created by 1Password 5 for Mac. However, you can manually copy them to cloud storage if you want to. To find your 1Password 5 backup files, you can follow these steps.

I'll be downloading the latest 1Password app for iPhone. Will I'll be able to use touch ID instead of entering a password?

Yes, you certainly can! We added support for Touch ID in 1Password 5 for iOS. Please note that you will still need to enter your master password occasionally, in certain circumstances. You can find information about all that in our Touch ID FAQs.

Also, is syncing with iCloud done automatically on my iPhone where it downloads the latest 1Password.agilekeychain file?

iCloud sync doesn't use the .agilekeychain format (as I mentioned above), but yes, the sync will happen automatically once you enable iCloud sync in 1Password on your Mac and iPhone.

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you have more - we're always happy to help! :)

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew_AG. I really appreciate your reply and being helpful in answering my questions in detail. Lastly, can I uninstall 1Password 3 after I successfully install 1Password 5? Do you recommend removing previous versions of the software?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @flight23! :)

To answer your question, yes, you can certainly uninstall 1Password 3 once you have 1Password 5 up and running with your data (you might want to give it some time just to be sure everything is fine). All you need to do is drag the 1Password 3 app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning utilities when you do that, as they can be overzealous and delete important files).

You don't necessarily have to delete 1Password 3 (it won't interfere with newer versions), but as long as you have all your data in 1Password 5, there's really no reason to keep the old version around. On the other hand, you'll definitely need to at least disable the version 3 extension in your browser - but like I said, installing the new extension should remind you about that.

We're here for you if you have any other questions.

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks Drew_AG. I have a an older Macbook late-2006 with Snow Leopard OS X 10.6. I know I can install 1password 3.8.22 on it and so will I be able to sync my 1password data from my newer Macbook Pro and iPhone 6?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @flight23,

So here is the bad news, while you can synchronise 1Password 3 & 5 for Mac it does mean iCloud won't be a viable option. The only cloud service that is supported by everything from 1Password 3 for Mac and newer is Dropbox.

Now if you're willing to consider Dropbox as an option it will allow you to still synchronise all your current Macs and devices running the latest versions while still allowing your Snow Leopard machine to be used as well.

How do you feel about this? If it's something you'd like to do we can help you set everything up or you may decide you want to keep with iCloud and that the Snow Leopard machine isn't vital enough to change it - the choice is entirely yours. Let us know how you would like to proceed :smile:

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @littlebobbytables . I haven't synced any devices yet and so I have no problem using dropbox instead and really have no preference for a cloud storage service. I haven't installed the 1Password app on my phone yet although do I need to install the dropbox app on my phone as well? Lastly, since my data file will be moved to the cloud, will there be a back up of my data file somewhere? I'm just worried if dropbox goes down or if the file is deleted / corrupted in the cloud, I'd be out of luck. Please let me know how 1Password protects from such a disaster.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @flight23,

I would personally recommend installing the Dropbox app on your iOS device yes. Don't worry, Dropbox doesn't download anything directly to your iOS device like it does on a Mac as your typical mobile device has limited storage. What the app does allow though is a much better authorisation where you log in once to the Dropbox app on your iOS device and then when 1Password for iOS asks for access to Dropbox, iOS switches you to the Dropbox app, you manually authorise and then you're automatically switched back to 1Password for iOS. Now we can gain authorisation via a web page but I've simply found using the Dropbox app is a lot more reliable - a lot more.

Now since 1Password 4 for both Mac and iOS we've been making use of a locally stored, encrypted SQLite database file for storing your vaults. What it means is, the Agile Keychain is relegated to just a sync container. If it becomes damaged we don't care any more because 1Password 4/5 can easily create a brand new Agile Keychain. If Dropbox isn't present for any reason, the lack of the sync container only means changes can't get synchronised but the vault locally stored is still accessible. 1Password for Mac also routinely creates backups but only locally. Should you ever need a backup though they do exist on your drive.

Personally I would recommend something like Time Machine as well though, Time Machine won't just maintain copies of your vault but also all your other files and that's why I think it's valuable. I wouldn't feel as safe without my automated backup happening to be honest.

I hope that helps but as always, if you have any questions do please ask :smile:

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @littlebobbytables . I do see the backup file that 1password creates which is a zip file nested deep in the library folder. Since upgrading to 1password 5 from 1password 3.8.22 (which had a number of backups), I see that the new version starts with a clean empty slate and creates new backups and does not carry over / access any previous backups from previous versions of the software. I have time machine backing up my entire hardrive and so I'm covered there if something goes awry with the software. Since I'll be installing the 1password 3.8.22 on my Macbook SnowLeopard laptop and syncing the data file, I'll at least have a back up there as well I assume. Thanks again for your help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad we help ease any concerns you have @flight23. Now while the backups from version 3 aren't in the same format as version 4 & 5, they at least are in a readable format as the version 3 backups are simply an archived copy of the Agile Keychain. So worst case scenario you could copy them over to the backup folder for 1Password 5 and if you need to use them it can be done - it's just there would be a few hoops to jump through. Sadly it's a one way deal, 1Password 3 doesn't understand the backups from 4 & 5 at all and can't do anything with them.

I do like Time Machine. I know everybody isn't a fan but it's easy to use and I feel safer with it. Hopefully of course you never need to rely on any backup but life doesn't always go that smoothly :wink: Hopefully you find 1Password 5 easy to use and enjoy all the improvements we've made :smile:

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables, I installed 1password 3.8.22 on my older late 2006 Macbook running OS X Snowleopard. I noticed that I need to enter my license number in order to continue using the software. I know I have a license number for this version since I was using this version on my Macbook Pro before purchasing/installing 1password 5.3. Can you help me retrieve my old license number? Also, how do I sync my data file which is stored in dropbox with this older version of 1password?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @flight23,

I've just resent your 1Password 3 for Mac licence so you should have an email from us in your inbox with the licence key.

Now with 1Password 3 for Mac the Agile Keychain was your vault. So what you want to do is point 1Password 3 to the Agile Keychain that is in your Dropbox folder. When you first launch 1Password 3 it should ask if you want to use an existing one or create a new one. As long as that window appears then saying you have data already and pointing it to the 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox should be all you need to do.

If your situation is slightly different we can certainly help with that too. Is it that you've created a new vault or are you using a slightly older one where you'd added some stuff only on the older MacBook?

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @littlebobbytables. I received my license via email (software is now registered) and was able to sync my data file from dropbox. From the top menu bar, I clicked on 1Password and navigated to Preferences | General | Choose Another where I was able to select the data file in dropbox.

However, when I initially installed the software, I did select the option (choose an existing one) where I think it just created a new vault / local data file 1Password.agilekechain since it asked me to create a new password after installing the software. I was able to login okay but with a new blank data file. I'm thinking it created a new data file for me since it couldn't find an existing data file on any of my drives. I didn't have the Dropbox App installed before installing 1Password and so I'm assuming this why I had to reconnect my Dropbox datafile after the fact. Although, do you know how I delete the initial 1Password.agilekeychain that was created on my local drive?

Lastly, I just re-opened 1password 3.8.22 and the software just displayed an upgrade screen that appears to force me to upgrade (can't cancel or close this window? Should I click the upgrade button? If I do upgrade, will everything be still compatible with OS X Snowleopard?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @flight23,

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're very welcome! I'm glad he was able to help you get that sorted out.

I'm thinking it created a new data file for me since it couldn't find an existing data file on any of my drives. I didn't have the Dropbox App installed before installing 1Password and so I'm assuming this why I had to reconnect my Dropbox datafile after the fact.

It sounds like that's exactly what happened - if you didn't have Dropbox installed on that Mac, your 1Password.agilekeychain file would not have been downloaded to that Mac yet, so 1Password wouldn't have been able to find it. Creating a new, empty vault would create a new, empty 1Password.agilekeychain file on your Mac.

Although, do you know how I delete the initial 1Password.agilekeychain that was created on my local drive?

You can delete that the same way you would delete any file from your Mac - move it to the Trash. The default location for that file would have been here: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

I just re-opened 1password 3.8.22 and the software just displayed an upgrade screen that appears to force me to upgrade (can't cancel or close this window? Should I click the upgrade button? If I do upgrade, will everything be still compatible with OS X Snowleopard?

That's a bit strange, there should definitely be a button to cancel out of that. Version 3.8.22 is actually the latest version of 1Password that will work on Snow Leopard, but clicking the Upgrade button won't automatically install anything - it should simply take you to the AgileBits Store in a web browser. So if you need to, you can click that Upgrade button, and then just close the website that opens. Does that help? If you're still getting stuck with that upgrade window, please let us know.

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Drew_AG. It appears that the 1Password directory and 1Password.agilekeychain file is hidden within finder. The 1Password directory does not show up as a sub-directory in the Application Support directory. I went ahead and unhid hidden files and folders and for some reason they still do not appear. I'm thinking I might have to go into terminal to delete the 1Password.agilekeychain file.

Also, when I clicked on the upgrade button to get passed this pop up window and opened 1Password, I noticed that some hidden files were uploaded to Dropbox a few seconds after I opened the app? Is this normal? The name of these files that show in my Dropbox Status from the top main menu bar is "buildnum" and "build-thumbnails". I also see a number of random files that were uploaded to my Dropbox a few days ago ever since I started using Dropbox to host my data file.

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG, @littlebobbytables. Nevermind, I was able to find the hidden 1Password.agilekeychain file buried in the library folder. I went into the finder, navigated to top menu bar and clicked on "Go" while pressing the "option" key on my keyboard which revealed the hidden library folder. From there I navigated to Application Support | 1Password and deleted the 1Password.agilekeychain file from there.

Also, I'm thinking the random files that are being uploaded to Dropbox are just files being uploaded by 1Password.

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

I recently moved my 1Password data file / vault to my Dropbox account. However, I just realized that I stored it in a shared folder that was created by another user and so both of us can see it. Therefore, I would like to move my 1Password folders/files to a new private folder in my Dropbox account that I created myself and can only be seen and accessed by my login credentials.

Is it just a matter of going into the finder and moving the 1password.agilekeychain file to the new folder? I believe I have to make sure that the 1password Application and any web browsers are closed. Once moved, I can open 1Password and repoint to the new location of the data file? Please confirm any steps I need to be aware of. Along with my Macbook Pro which is running 1Password 5.3, I need to sync with my iPhone 6 1Password App and my older Macbook which is running 1Password 3.8.22.

I'm not sure if Dropbox alerted my friend that I uploaded this file to his shared folder although I think I'm confident enough that my data is extremely encrypted.

1Password Version: 5.3, 3.8.22, iPhone App 5.4.3
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OSX 10.10 & 10.6
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @flight23,

Glad to hear you were able to find and delete that unwanted 1Password.agilekeychain. Now let's see if we can determine what's causing this:

Also, when I clicked on the upgrade button to get passed this pop up window and opened 1Password, I noticed that some hidden files were uploaded to Dropbox a few seconds after I opened the app? Is this normal? The name of these files that show in my Dropbox Status from the top main menu bar is "buildnum" and "build-thumbnails". I also see a number of random files that were uploaded to my Dropbox a few days ago ever since I started using Dropbox to host my data file.

Also, I'm thinking the random files that are being uploaded to Dropbox are just files being uploaded by 1Password.

Is this happening on your older MacBook that's running Snow Leopard and 1Password 3.8.22? It sounds like you might have created a new Agile Keychain in Dropbox from there.

Do you have 1Password 5 running on your MacBook Pro and has it been configured to sync with Dropbox?

Trying to get a better understanding of how you currently have 1Password set up on your MacBook Pro and older MacBook. Is your 1Password data successfully syncing between them through Dropbox?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk Yes, I noticed that the files were being uploaded to Dropbox after installing 1Password on my older Macbook. I noticed the list of files in Dropbox's menu bar status icon. Although, everything seems to be syncing just fine on all my devices. After browsing the Dropbox folder in the finder of my newer Macbook Pro and older Macbook, I only see one 1Password.agilekeychain file. Therefore, it doesn't appear that another 1Password.agilekeychain file was created. When I log on to my Dropbox account via my web browser, I see a folder called 1Password.agilekeychain with sub-folders named "a", "config", and "data" with a file called 1Password.html within this folder.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello again, @flight23. :)

When replying earlier I hadn't noticed the newer thread you created today, titled:

Would like to move the 1Password folder / data files in Dropbox to a new Dropbox folder

I've merged it with this discussion since it's related to getting 1Password configured and syncing the way you'd like it to.

I recently moved my 1Password data file / vault to my Dropbox account.

Sounds like you did that on your older MacBook? Is 1Password (on either Mac) currently configured to sync with that data?

However, I just realized that I stored it in a shared folder that was created by another user and so both of us can see it. Therefore, I would like to move my 1Password folders/files to a new private folder in my Dropbox account that I created myself and can only be seen and accessed by my login credentials.

We can help you with relocating 1Password data in Dropbox. But it's recommended that you store it in some specific locations there, one of them being (for a primary vault):

Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Another would be:

Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Is it just a matter of going into the finder and moving the 1password.agilekeychain file to the new folder? I believe I have to make sure that the 1password Application and any web browsers are closed. Once moved, I can open 1Password and repoint to the new location of the data file?

Normally you'd first want to disable syncing with a keychain, before moving it. In some cases, with 1Password 5, you might want to delete the copy of sync data and recreate it from 1Password's local data when reconfiguring syncing. It's different with 1Password 3 because the keychain is its database.

Please confirm any steps I need to be aware of. Along with my Macbook Pro which is running 1Password 5.3, I need to sync with my iPhone 6 1Password App and my older Macbook which is running 1Password 3.8.22.

Before going forward with that I think it would be best to clear up the other issue that I asked you some questions about in my first reply. We want to make sure where the 1Password data you need is currently located and how syncing is currently configured.

Is this device and version information correct?

• MacBook Pro: 1Password 5.3 (from Mac App Store?)
    • MacBook: 1Password 3.8.22
    • iPhone 6: 1Password 5.4.3

Does 1Password on any of those have all of your required data? If it's all in 1Password 5 on your MacBook Pro that could simply the reconfiguration process.

Can you describe how syncing is currently configured on each of those devices? In my first reply I asked:

Do you have 1Password 5 running on your MacBook Pro and has it been configured to sync with Dropbox?

From what you've described earlier it sounds like you might have Dropbox syncing configured to different 1Password.agilekeychain data on your MacBook and MacBook Pro. And maybe not configured at all yet on your iPhone.

Thanks again for helping us help you get this sorted out. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @flight23. Just noticed your reply that snuck in a couple minutes before mine. :)

After browsing the Dropbox folder in the finder of my newer Macbook Pro and older Macbook, I only see one 1Password.agilekeychain file. Therefore, it doesn't appear that another 1Password.agilekeychain file was created.

That would be ideal. And is that 1Password.agilekeychain in the shared folder that you want to get it out of? Is it the one you're looking inside of here:

When I log on to my Dropbox account via my web browser, I see a folder called 1Password.agilekeychain with sub-folders named "a", "config", and "data" with a file called 1Password.html within this folder.

? And if you open this keychain using 1PasswordAnywhere is all your required 1Password data there?

Sorry for so many questions. Want to give you the best strategy to make any changes without accidentally losing some data you need.

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, 1password is syncing just fine on all my devices including my iPhone via Dropbox. All the versions of 1password and my OS versions you have listed above are correct. There is only one folder for 1password in Dropbox. I use 1password mainly on my MacBook pro where I recently moved the data file from my MacBook Pro to Dropbox. Then, I installed the iPhone app and synced with the Dropbox data file. A few days later, I installed 1password 3.8.22 on my older MacBook and synced with the Dropbox data file. Everything has been working fine - I'm not even worried about those random files being uploaded to Dropbox since it's probably normal behavior although let me know if it's not. I just need help in how to move the 1password.agilekeychain file safely to another folder in Dropbox. I'm not sure what is 1passwordAnywhere. I think I may have found an earlier post in how to do this but I'm not sure if it applies to all versions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just need help in how to move the 1password.agilekeychain file safely to another folder in Dropbox.

@flight23: This is actually pretty simple! Close 1Password 3 on your Mac, move the .agilekeychain where you want it, and then double-click it to open it in 1Password.

Now, this will break sync on your other devices, but that's okay — they simply need to know the new location. So disable sync on each (for example, 1Password for iOS > Settings > Sync > Sync Service > Disable Sync), and then set it up again to point it at your vault in its new location. That's it!

And you can check out our guide for more information on 1PasswordAnywhere. I hope this helps! :)

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty @sjk @Drew_AG, I appreciate your responses. It's sounds easy enough on how to move / configure from my older MacBook running 3.8.22 and configuring my IPhone app to sync. However, I would like to perform the move of my agilekeychain in Dropbox on my MacBook Pro running 1password 5.3. Can someone give me instructions on how to do this? @sjk gave a recommendation but wasn't specific...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @flight23,

Here are more specific instructions instead of just the general idea I posted earlier. :)

First, disable Dropbox syncing on your iPhone:

• Open 1Password and select Settings > Sync > Sync Service Dropbox

• First tap Disable Sync at the bottom of the screen, then in the popup.

Next, disable Dropbox syncing on your MacBook Pro:

• Open 1Password and select 1Password > Preferences… from the menu, then select the Sync tab
    • Under the popup menu, select None

• Leave the Delete data from Dropbox option disabled, then click Disable Sync

At this point you're prepared to do what brenty suggested, on your older MacBook:

Close 1Password 3 on your Mac, move the .agilekeychain where you want it, and then double-click it to open it in 1Password.

Recommendation is to move 1Password.agilekeychain into either of these folders (which you'll probably have to create first):

• Dropbox/Apps/1Password
      or

• Dropbox/1Password

After it's been moved, give Dropbox enough time to finish syncing this change. On both Macs, the Dropbox menu bar icon indicates when syncing is active/inactive:

How do I know when Dropbox is syncing? (Dropbox Help Center)

Then while on your older MacBook you can double-click 1Password.agilekeychain in its new location to open and use it with 1Password 3.8.22.

Returning to 1Password on your iPhone and MacBook Pro, configure Dropbox syncing again with the 1Password.agilekeychain in its new location:

Sync with Dropbox | 1Password 5 for iOS

Sync with Dropbox | 1Password 5 for Mac

And that's it! Do some testing to make sure you're satisfied with how the reconfigured syncing is working. Hoping it will all go smoothly and we're here to help if you do run into trouble anywhere along the way. Cheers!

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @sjk. I was able to successfully move my agilekeychain via my older Macbook running 1Password 3.8.22. I appreciate your clear instructions with screenshots which helped quite a bit. Everything is syncing and configured perfectly now on all my devices.

After following @brenty 's instructions in moving my .agilekeychain via my older Macbook, the 1Password app seemed to have an initial problem after I double clicked the .agilekeychain file in the new folder location in Dropbox (I made sure the 1Password app was closed and the Dropbox sync/update had completed). After double clicking the .agilekeychain file from the new Dropbox location folder, I noticed that 1Password 3.8.22 opened up with a message window asking me to use an existing vault or create a new vault. I clicked on use an existing vault where I pointed to the new folder location in Dropbox. After that, the 1Password App immediately closed for no apparent reason. I ended up force quitting the 1Password application and then re-opened / logged in successfully with all my data in tact. I re-checked the location of where it's syncing from and it's pulling the data from the new Dropbox folder. As far as configuring / syncing with my Macbook Pro and iPhone 6, that process went flawlessly.

Lastly, since my friend had access to my .agilekeychain for a number of days, do you know if Dropbox alerted him that files were uploaded to that folder? Also, how secure is my .agilekeychain folder / files if someone got ahold of them?

I noticed that the iPhone app does not have a "Trash" folder. Is that correct? I tried emptying the trash on my iPhone but couldn't find it.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @flight23.

Sorry you ran into a temporary snag on your first attempt to use the relocated keychain in Dropbox with 1Password 3 on your MacBook. I'm not sure why that happened or how it might have been prevented. Glad it was easy to clear that up without any further trouble and that your reconfigured tri-device syncing is working well.

Lastly, since my friend had access to my .agilekeychain for a number of days, do you know if Dropbox alerted him that files were uploaded to that folder?

Your friend would have received, but may not have noticed, desktop notifications (if enabled) of any changes in his Dropbox:

How do I get notified of changes in my Dropbox? (Dropbox Help Center)

When logged in on the Dropbox site, under https://www.dropbox.com/account/profile there are settings for Email notifications:

There's also the https://www.dropbox.com/events page.

And clicking the Dropbox menu bar icon on a Mac displays the last 15(?) recently changed files.

In short, if your friend wants to find activity related to the Agile Keychain you temporarily had in the Dropbox folder he shared with you there's nothing you can do to hide it.

This article has useful information:

Can I revoke access to a shared vault?

Because your friend is the owner of the Dropbox shared folder in question it's ultimately under his control. But he will no longer see the Agile Keychain there that you moved out of it earlier.

Also, how secure is my .agilekeychain folder / files if someone got ahold of them?

With a good Master Password it's very safe. Here's another related article:

Is it safe to sync my data over the cloud?

I personally have no issues with storing encrypted 1Password data in Dropbox, which I know is true of other folks at AgileBits as well. :)

I noticed that the iPhone app does not have a "Trash" folder. Is that correct? I tried emptying the trash on my iPhone but couldn't find it.

That is correct. Trashed items are not accessible with 1Password for iOS. They can be accessed with 1Password for Mac and Windows when data is being synced there.

Hope those answers are helpful. Have a great week!

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @sjk. I logged back into my Dropbox account via a web browser and noticed that by moving the .agilekeychain out of the shared folder, Dropbox actually copies moved folders and files to the "trash" folder as well and marks them as "deleted". Therefore, the files and folders were technically still accessible by restoring from the trash. I went ahead and permanently deleted the files and folders in my trash.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for mentioning that extra bit of Dropbox administrivia you did, @flight23. I'm sure there are other tips to be found from folks on the Dropbox Community forum as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.