Not synching

I use Dropbox to synch my 1Password agile between my account in Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro and Tiger on my PowerBook G3. My MBP was down for a couple of days and I was using my Tiger installation only to find that the keychain was not synched. Today I am using my Snow Leopard MBP again and find that the passwords I had to reset on my Pismo have not been updated on my MBP. Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    cornelius,

What happens if you:

1) quit DropBox on the machine that isn't up to date… last item on the DP menu bar menu, then
    2) do the same on the machine that is up to date
    3) make a cosmetic change somewhere in 1P… say add a space to a note in one of the records in the 1P file that is up to date
    4) close 1P
    5) restart DP in both places and wait 5 minutes?

cornelius wrote:
    … the keychain was not synched…
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Please ensure that 1Password 2.12.1 on your Tiger machine is set to use the Agile Keychain Format (rather than the OS X keychain) and is pointing to your data file in the Dropbox folder.
  • khad wrote:

Please ensure that 1Password 2.12.1 on your Tiger machine is set to use the Agile Keychain Format (rather than the OS X keychain) and is pointing to your data file in the Dropbox folder.

Please remind me how to do that.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Before we go too far, please tell me what is listed under "Keychain file location" in 1Password's preferences on your Tiger machine. For example, the screenshot below shows
    /Users/dave/Library/Keychains/1Password.keychain

as the keychain file location.

SwitchToAgileKeychainFormat.jpg
  • khad wrote:

Before we go too far, please tell me what is listed under "Keychain file location" in 1Password's preferences on your Tiger machine. For example, the screenshot below shows
    /Users/dave/Library/Keychains/1Password.keychain

as the keychain file location.

SwitchToAgileKeychainFormat.jpg

/Users/cornel*******ai/Desktop/1Password.agilekeychain
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for writing back with that. The problem is that you are not using the same data file across all your Macs.

Because I'm not sure where in the process you are, I will give step by step instructions for setting up Dropbox syncing between the two Macs.

First, on your MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard:

1. Please ensure that Dropbox is installed.
    2. Click the "Move to Dropbox" button in 1Password (Preferences > General).
    3. Wait for syncing to finish.

Now, on your PowerBook G3 running Tiger:

1. Please also ensure that Dropbox is installed.
    2. If there is any data you need from 1Password 2.12.1 on that Tiger machine, please export it before proceeding (File > Export All > 1Password Interchange Format).
    4. Then double-click the 1Password.agilekeychain file in your Dropbox folder to open it in 1Password.
    5. If you exported data from 1Password 2.12.1 in step 2, you can import it now to merge it with the data from your other Mac (File > Import).

Please let me know how it turns out.
  • Hi! So here is what I did. I noticed the on the Tiger machine the agile 1P keychain was in the Desktop Folder.
    • I copied the updated the latest keychain file on my Sno Leo machine into the Public folder in DropBox
    • On the Tiger machine I dragged the keychain from the DropBox Public Folder to Home > Librar > Keychains
    * I made a small change in one of the Secure Notes on 1P on the Sno machine
    • I restarted 1P on the Tiger machine and checked for the change in the Secure Note file.
    • Apparently, success. The changed file was there.

I am not sure if I have the location of the keychain in the right place in Tiger, but it seems to work. Is that where it needs to be in Home > Library > Keychains?

Thanks for your help.

cornelius

khad wrote:

Thanks for writing back with that. The problem is that you are not using the same data file across all your Macs.

Because I'm not sure where in the process you are, I will give step by step instructions for setting up Dropbox syncing between the two Macs.

First, on your MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard:

1. Please ensure that Dropbox is installed.
    2. Click the "Move to Dropbox" button in 1Password (Preferences > General).

Now, on your PowerBook G3 running Tiger:

1. Please also ensure that Dropbox is installed.
    2. If there is any data you need from 1Password 2.12.1 on that Tiger machine, please export it before proceeding (File > Export All > 1Password Interchange Format).
    4. Then double-click the 1Password.agilekeychain file in your Dropbox folder to open it in 1Password.
    5. If you exported data from 1Password 2.12.1 in step 2, you can import it now to merge it with the data from your other Mac (File > Import).

Please let me know how it turns out.
  • Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Cornelius,

Put your keychain at the root (top) level of your DropBox folder; not in its Public folder.

cornelius wrote:
    …I copied the updated the latest keychain file on my Sno Leo machine into the Public folder in DropBox…
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Cornelius,

Please move your data file back to your Dropbox folder or your 1Password data will be missing from your MacBook Pro when you go to use it next time. Your 1Password.agilekeychain data file must be located within your Dropbox folder in order for syncing to work.
  • OK, I think I got everyone thoroughly confused, so let me retrace my steps:
    • I did not move the keychain file from DropBox. I copied (Command + C) and pasted it into the Public folder. I did this because I did not want to get it confused with any other copy of the file.
    • On the Tiger computer I dragged it from the Public folder to Home > Library > Keychains
    • I tested it by making a change in a file in the Secure Notes folder the Sno Leo and it was changed on the Tiger machine within seconds. I just tested it again with the same results. I then made a change in the same file on the Tiger machine and it was instantly changed on the Sno computer.
    • The original 1Password.agilekeychain is still at the root level of DropBox. A copy of it is in the Keychains Folder in the Home Library. 1Password is identical on both computers.

My question is: Did I put the keychain file in the right place on the Tiger computer?

cornelius

khad wrote:

Cornelius,

Please move your data file back to your Dropbox folder or your 1Password data will be missing from your MacBook Pro when you go to use it next time. Your 1Password.agilekeychain data file must be located within your Dropbox folder in order for syncing to work.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Hey cornelius,

I'm not really sure why you moved/copied/transferred your data file outside your Dropbox folder. Dropbox handles all the syncing, so you don't need to perform any file operations in Finder other than double-clicking the data file from within your Dropbox folder. ;-)

The path you gave me previously in this thread should now be pointing to the one and only copy of your data file within your Dropbox folder, and there should not be a copy in any other folder on your machine.

The single copy of your data file on both machines should be in the root of your Dropbox folder and set as the active data file (which path is visible in 1Password's preferences).

I hope that helps. :-)
  • OK, I think we're getting there. So when I look at the path in 1Password Preferences on the Tiger machine it reads:
    /Users/cornelius****ai/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain. So far so good.

The single copy of your data file on both machines should be in the root of your Dropbox folder and set as the active data file

I take that to mean that so long as the file is in Dropbox it does not need to be anywhere else including in the User Library. Correct?

Thanks. I think we're ok, but I'll wait for you to comfirm that.

cornelius

khad wrote:

Hey cornelius,

I'm not really sure why you moved/copied/transferred your data file outside your Dropbox folder. Dropbox handles all the syncing, so you don't need to perform any file operations in Finder other than double-clicking the data file from within your Dropbox folder. ;-)

The path you gave me previously in this thread should now be pointing to the one and only copy of your data file within your Dropbox folder, and there should not be a copy in any other folder on your machine.

The single copy of your data file on both machines should be in the root of your Dropbox folder and set as the active data file (which path is visible in 1Password's preferences).

I hope that helps. :-)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    OK, I think we're getting there. So when I look at the path in 1Password Preferences on the Tiger machine it reads:
    /Users/cornelius****ai/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain. So far so good.

Perfect. That means syncing will work. :-)

I take that to mean that so long as the file is in Dropbox it does not need to be anywhere else including in the User Library. Correct?

Right. As long as the path you just listed is pointing to the right place — your Dropbox folder — you don't need a copy of your data file anywhere else on your machine.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thanks!
  • Thanks a lot, Khad. I really appreciate it. It seems to be working fine. If there are any other issues, I'll be back.

Cheers ;)

cornelius

khad wrote:

Perfect. That means syncing will work. :-)

Right. As long as the path you just listed is pointing to the right place — your Dropbox folder — you don't need a copy of your data file anywhere else on your machine.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thanks!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Awesome! Thanks for updating the thread.

Best regards,
This discussion has been closed.