Auto-type fails for Microsoft Edge [Turn on Send Control+A before Auto-Type for now]

Options
TheDave
TheDave
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Steps to reproduce:

1) Install Windows 10, build 10240 (suspected RTM).
2) Install 1Password.
3) Cry about missing full support (Waiting on MSFT to add extension support, I know.)
4) Visit https://discussions.agilebits.com and access the Sign In page.
5) Open the appropriate entry in 1Password and use the Auto-Type feature.

Observed behaviour:

An incorrect username/password is entered. Upon closer inspection, several characters at the beginning and end of the string were omitted.

Expected behaviour:

Username/password information seamlessly pasted.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.583
Extension Version: :(
OS Version: Windows 10 build 10240.
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

Extension Version: :(

@TheDave: :( Indeed.

Oddly, I was getting different (but still unhelpful) results. It may be that we have our forum login items set up differently, because in my case the username did not fill at all, but the password did... But it turns out there's a simple solution here:

1. Edit the login item and check Send Ctrl+A before Auto-Type
    2. Open the login page in Edge and put the cursor in the username field
    3. Select the login item in 1Password and click the Auto-Type button in the toolbar at the top

This should work for you as it did for me (same setup), but be sure to let me know in case there's something else that needs to be addressed. Thanks in advance! :)

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

Can this be set for all pastes to Edge, but not other applications? I'm seeing this on multiple sites, I just picked this forum because it would be easy to reproduce.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Can this be set for all pastes to Edge, but not other applications? I'm seeing this on multiple sites, I just picked this forum because it would be easy to reproduce.

@TheDave: I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you mean. Could you give me an example?

The Send Ctrl+A before Auto-Type setting will not affect filling when not using Auto-Type (i.e. using the browser extensions). Were you able to get it to fill as I described?

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

I can't enable CTRL-A across the board as this makes it impossible to auto-type passwords into other places (email, instant messaging, etc)

• MikeT
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @TheDave,

Ah, you mean for us to add a rule to automatically do this for MS Edge. Unfortunately, across all apps might not work well, there are several apps that would break with this turned on by default.

This might not be feasible but we'll see what we can do about this.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

To be completely honest, I'm not really sure what the best fix would be, but setting the CTRL+A switch on each of my 220 items isn't it, especially since that has other side effects when using Auto-Type to enter data into other destinations.

I'm not sure if I can go as far as to say Auto-Type hasn't worked for any site in Edge, but I ran into at least a couple last night where it wasn't working.

I've been using copy+paste as a partial workaround, but I hate having passwords in my clipboard for a practical reason: I regularly TeamViewer into client systems, and we use copy+paste across TeamViewer to enter product keys and collect data from customers. However, if I need to login to my own systems, I cannot have one of my passwords get loaded into a customer's clipboard.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @TheDave,

The only solution is to wait for MS Edge to add extension support, so we can bring 1Password to it or switch to IE11 on Windows 10 or a different browser.

• charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member
    Options

I created a duplicate login, set the CTRL+A on the duplicate. Using the duplicate I was able to get the userid and password into the signin for the forum but I had to do each field twice as the first attempt in each case failed.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @charlie98,

How are you triggering Auto-Type in this case? Are you pressing the keyboard shortcut or using the Auto-Type button from the main program? I'm doing the latter and it works the first time.

• charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'm running a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion. my keyboard shortcut, ctrl + \, does nothing. I was highlighting the login which has the send ctrl + A before Auto-type checked and was clicking on the I box and that was working but requiring me to do it twice.

Today I tried Auto-type in the main menu and that worked first time even though Use Auto-type in web browser is not checked.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @charlie98,

I'm running a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion. my keyboard shortcut, ctrl + \, does nothing.

That might be an issue with VMWare Fusion. I'd suggest trying a different shortcut in the main 1Password's Preferences > Logins to see if it would work.

I was highlighting the login which has the send ctrl + A before Auto-type checked and was clicking on the I box and that was working but requiring me to do it twice.

That's Field Auto-Type, it would only sent that specific field value, not enter all fields at once like the big Auto-Type button on top.

Today I tried Auto-type in the main menu and that worked first time even though Use Auto-type in web browser is not checked.

That's intentional, it is an explicit action to perform an auto-type, regardless of what settings you have within the Login item.

This discussion has been closed.