Help! My multi-user license does not work for 1Password 5 -- can I go back to version 4?

Options
stevegarrett22
stevegarrett22
Community Member

I originally purchased the “multi” license for 1Password 3. I have a mac at home, a mac at the office, a macbook pro for travel, and an iPhone. The solution worked seamlessly across all 4 using dropbox.

At some point I upgraded to 1Password 4 and that too worked great.

Now I somehow inadvertently upgraded to 1password 5 — didn’t realize it had all kinds of new and expensive licensing requirements!

I don’t want to purchase $200 worth of licenses to power my four machines!! It appears that I have to buy a new license for each machine! I don’t mind paying again for a “family” or "multi" type of license but this is outrageous.

Can I go back to version 4?
Is there a “multi” type license because I don't see it. Why did you take that option away? Everyone has multiple machines...

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

There is no need to go back to version 4 to take care of your issue. The license terms changed a little when version 5 arrived, and there no longer is a family license. But the single user license now allows you and up to five other family members in the same household to use that license.

And, more importantly for your case, the license has always allowed a single user to install and use the application on as many devices of the same platform as he/she uses personally. You can use version 5 on as many Macs as you like without purchasing anymore licenses. And version 5 is a free upgrade from version 4. In fact, it uses exactly the same license file that applies to version 4.

On the other hand, licenses are sold on a per user and per platform basis, so, for example, the iOS version is handled completely separately from the Mac version.

You can read more about license terms at this link.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I can think of a couple of things that might have caused your issue. hawkmoth is quite correct in what he says.

However, version 4 was a paid upgrade from version 3. But it had a bug that meant some people were able to continue using it without ever buying a license. Could that have happened to you?

Version 3 used a license key. But versions 4 (and 5) use a license file. The file does have to be applied to the copy of 1PW on each machine in order to license it on that machine.

First thing to try is to go to https://agilebits.com/support and fill in your email address to get your license sent to you again.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Good catch, @danco. I had forgotten about that.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @stevegarrett22,

I'm sorry for any confusion about licenses! The answers from hawkmoth and danco are spot-on, and the question that remains is if you ever purchased an upgrade to a 1Password 4 for Mac license - if so, you'll be able to use that to activate version 5 on all your Macs with no additional purchase. In case it helps, we have more information in this knowledgebase article.

I searched our system for the email address from your forum account, and I see that you bought a license for 1Password 3 for Mac back in August, 2010. However, I don't see any purchases of a 1Password 4/5 license. If you think you may have purchased an upgrade from the AgileBits Store under a different email address, you can have your license resent to you from the "I've lost my license" section of this site.

Or is it possible you bought 1Password 4 for Mac from the Mac App Store? If so, you'll need to reinstall the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Just launch the Mac App Store, make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to make the purchase, and reinstall 1Password from the Purchases section.

On the other hand, another possibility is that you never purchased an upgrade to 1Password 4/5. As danco mentioned, there was a bug in 1Password 4 for Mac that caused it to never expire/prompt for a license. That was fixed in version 5, so that could explain why you just started seeing notifications about that recently.

If you never upgraded your 1Password 3 license to a 1Password 4/5 license and would like to do so, you can enter your version 3 license code on this site to see your upgrade discount & options. And no, the upgrade price won't be anywhere close to $200 - it will be much less than that. ;)

Hopefully this helps, but please do let us know if you have more questions about any of that!

ref: 322061

This discussion has been closed.