Always have to enter master on iPad not pin

Options
jgaliette
jgaliette
Community Member

When using 1password on my iPad, I am repeatedly asked to re-enter the master password to unlock the vault. It never allows me to enter just the PIN. I have it setup to lock in 30 minutes. It's frustrating to be asked to enter your password over and over. Is there a setting I'm missing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Would you please both confirm your first three settings in 1P > Settings > Security and also in 1P > Settings > Advanced > Security.

(I have assumed you're using 1P5 for iOS. If that's not the case please tell us when you reply what version you are using.)

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jgaliette: Indeed, be sure to set the security settings to best reflect your preferences, and let me know if you have questions about a particular setting. It sounds like it's behaving properly, but perhaps you wish to set it up differently. If you have specific ideas on how you'd like it to work, be sure to let us know so we can help! :)

• jgaliette
    jgaliette
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen, in Avanced, the setting is require master password every hour. In the other, lock on exit off, auto lock in30 minutes, pin code is on. Thanks for your help.

Brent's, I thought that once I enter the master the first time then subsequent times I would be asked for my pin until the one hour elapsed?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@jgaliette under 1P for iOS Settings > Advanced > Security try setting Require Master Password to Never.

Stephen

• jgaliette
    jgaliette
    Community Member
    Options

Will that diminish the security?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Will that diminish the security?

In the sense that it will reduce the number of occasions the master password is required (which is what you want), yes. However, the master password will still be required after any reboot of your iPad or if you manually lock 1P. However, take a look at these parts of the user guide which will help you establish the correct balance between security and convenience:

Settings: Security

Settings: Advanced

Stephen

• frankj
    frankj
    Community Member
    Options

I started having this problem today as well and nothing suggested here worked. However, all I had to do was power off and power back on my iPad and everything started working OK. I'm guessing that this is probably a bug that was recently introduced a new version.

• klick
    klick
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using the most recent iOS and the most recent 1P on my iPad. I've always had to re-enter my 1P master every time even though I have it set to Security > Auto-Lock > 1 Hour. This super reduces the convenience of using 1P.

1. I'm not using a PIN in 1P. The wording beneath the Auto-Lock setting does not indicate that it's required. Must I use one?

2. I do not use a Passcode on my iPad. Must I use one for 1P to work properly?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I started having this problem today as well and nothing suggested here worked. However, all I had to do was power off and power back on my iPad and everything started working OK. I'm guessing that this is probably a bug that was recently introduced a new version.

@frankj: If it's working again after restarting you device, that will be an iOS issue, since you'll still be using the same 1Password version. I'm glad to hear that did the trick! :)

I'm not using a PIN in 1P. The wording beneath the Auto-Lock setting does not indicate that it's required. Must I use one?

@klick: Using a PIN is optional, and is, of course, less secure than using a long, strong, unique Master Password to unlock it. 4 digits is much easier to guess (or see over your shoulder and memorize), but it's entirely up to you if you'd like to use that instead.

I do not use a Passcode on my iPad. Must I use one for 1P to work properly?

No, but not using a device passcode of any kind (not even a 4 digit PIN) makes it trivial for someone to access your device. And because of your Auto-Lock setting, if you have unlocked and used 1Password within the hour, they will also have access to your 1Password data. Essentially you're leaving the door wide open.

I've always had to re-enter my 1P master every time even though I have it set to Security > Auto-Lock > 1 Hour. This super reduces the convenience of using 1P.

If you use Security > Auto-Lock > 1 Hour, you will need to unlock 1Password every hour unless you are actively using the app during that time. However, if you are only using the 1Password extension, you will need to enter your Master Password to unlock it every time you access it until you unlock the main app with your Master Password — at which time it will not be required for an hour, based on your Auto-Lock setting.

Essentially, the settings give you a lot of leeway to make 1Password as secure — or insecure — as you like. Ultimately a long, strong, unique Master Password is your best defense against anyone malicious (or mischievous) who might try to access your data, so disabling it or only requiring it infrequently severely hampers your security. It's like leaving your car unlocked with the keys in it. Maybe nothing will happen, but you're not doing yourself any favours. ;)

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As I think it bears repeating,

[I]f you are only using the 1Password extension, you will need to enter your Master Password to unlock it every time you access it until you unlock the main app with your Master Password [...]

The 1Password extension is not a separate app; it is a process spawned by the main 1Password app, and so if it still needs your Master Password, so will the extension. Cheers! :)

• klick
    klick
    Community Member
    Options

brenty, you're right, I am attempting to use 1P through the extension (multiple times during my one hour time frame). I followed your suggestion—I opened the 1P app directly with my master and then attempted to use the extension multiple times within a couple of minutes. The same thing happened: the extension asks for my master every time I access it.

I'm using the latest version of Safari. Is that a problem? Is there something else I might be doing incorrectly?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@klick: Ah, thanks for trying that and sharing the steps you took! It sounds like iOS is not saving the Master Password in the Keychain as it should (which is what allows you to enter the Master Password once and access 1Password repeatedly within the allotted time).

At this point, the best thing to do would be to generate a diagnostic report in 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Send Diagnostics** (you’ll have to scroll to the bottom) and send it to support+forums at agilebits dot com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

This discussion has been closed.