Editting Deletes Login Content

Hi,

I double click a login to open it for editing. I double click the password field. I edit the Value. I click OK. I click OK again. The login fields are now all blank except for the URL field. I now have to restore from backup (thx for providing that tool so I can fix it myself). Seems this only happens to Logins, not Secure Notes, or Identities. The method may vary a bit, for example I may edit the Notes field instead of the Password field, or some variation like that.

This has happened about four or five times in the last about two months. I'd say as a percentage of my edits in this fashion it represents about a 30-50% fail rate. Of course, it's intermittent and I can't reproduce it at will.

This happened for sure in the prior 1Pwd ver and if memory serves it most likely in the ver before that as well.

Not to mix topics, but only if it helps address the edit-deletions:
It may be unrelated but it seems the auto-login feature is less active in recent updates. I used to get logged in on one click (1Pwd populates user and pwd and 'clicks' me in) but now, on a larger minority of sites, after 1Pwd populates user and pwd I have to manually click the button to login / sign in / sign on, etc.

Steve

1Password Version: 4.6.0.583
Extension Version: 4.4.2.90
OS Version: Win7
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Steve_R,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. My apologies for the delay in getting you a reply. We normally reply within 24 hours — often much sooner — but we fell short here.

I've been trying to reproduce the issue here, but I can't quite seem to do it. I know you said it was intermittent, so that does indeed make it harder to track down. I wonder if there is any pattern you are able to discern while we work to duplicate the issue on our end.

1. Are the Login items where this happens older than a certain date?
    2. Were they all perhaps created on a different computer or device and synced to that PC?
    3. Is it possible that it was just a display issue (they only appeared empty in the UI) rather than a data issue (the fields were actually missing)?
    4. It's a long shot, but do you happen to be syncing with a beta version of 1Password for Mac?

Your answers may give us a clue as to where to direct our search.

As for the auto-submit issue you describe, I do believe that would be entirely separate. Can you tell me the URL of a specific site or two where you are having trouble? Just to be sure, you have "Auto-Submit Logins" enabled on the Logins preference tab, yes?

And the Login item itself does not have the "Submit" value set to "Never". Is that correct?

Looking forward to your reply. I really appreciate your patience.

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member

khad,

Thanks for the reply.

Intermittents are tough to solve. Thanks for being willing to tackle it.
    Q&A:
    1. Are the Login items where this happens older than a certain date? -- I don't think so but I'll pay attention for this; I believe the problem occurred on a recently created logon as well.
    2. Were they all perhaps created on a different computer or device and synced to that PC? -- pretty sure these were all created and editted on the same device as 90% of what I create is on the my home Win7 system where the edit failed, the other 10% on my office Win 7 system.
    3. Is it possible that it was just a display issue (they only appeared empty in the UI) rather than a data issue (the fields were actually missing)? -- I have noticed the display issue (today is the first and only time) where logins would not display in the UI's lower pane but secure notes did. I simply closed and re-opened 1Pwd window and got display. But that is not the issue with deleted login content; there if I try to edit the login again, all the fields except URL are blank. Also, it seems when I close and re-open, the login with deleted content disappears form the list eventually.
    4. It's a long shot, but do you happen to be syncing with a beta version of 1Password for Mac? Not sure what you mean. I have not used a Mac in years, well before I purchased 1Pwd.

I verified that I have been configured for Auto-Submit as in both of your screen shots. Since you think this is a separate issue, I will move it to another thread if I you want to pursue it. Ok?

Steve

• Hi @Steve_R,

Can you send us your diagnostic report, we'd like to take a look at your setup. Please use this guide to generate a diagnostic report to email to us and, in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member

Mike,
    Thanks.

Diag report instructions say "Before starting, reproduce the problem you are encountering and then create a Diagnostics Report. This is important because the logs are not persistent on Windows."
    So:
    1.) I'll send one now because you said you wanted to check cfg.
    2.) I'll send one created immed after the next error.
    Steve

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member

sent

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

[Deleted by MikeT]

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

hmm,. the part inside the <> said "" but it got removed during post.

ref: AED-85188-438

• Hi @Steve_R,

I've deleted your email content, do not share any private or personal identification on this public support forum. The information can be used against you such as scanning your email address for spam purposes.

I've got your email with the diagnostic report and I've merged it into the pervious ticket you mentioned. We'll reply to your email as soon as we finish analyzing your report.

This discussion has been closed.