how to sync [Moved to email]

Options
Dgolden
Dgolden
Community Member
edited July 2015 in Mac

I am trying to sync my ipadair2 iPhone 5s and 2 macs running Mavericks. I just received an email from David Teare called Keep in Sync 3rd edition and am trying to follow it. Since I do not have Yosemite on my laptop and desktop I am trying to use Dropbox.

My problem is the Keep in Sync newsletter does not describe how to sync the laptop and desktop. I have Dropbox installed on both. The iPhone 5s and Ipadair2 seem to sync to each other and when I install a login on one it appears on the other but do they do not sync to the laptop or desktop and also logins on the desktop do not sync to the iPhone or laptop. Nor do the laptop and desktop sync to each other.

I am asking for clear instructions on how to add the laptop and desktop to the sync.

Respects,
David

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

its 1Password 4.4.3 and Dropbox 3.6.9. The laptop is OSX 10.9.5 and the desktop is 10.9.3

David

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dgolden,

Can I quickly ask a couple of questions please.

1. Do you have 1Password set up on both of your Macs such that they have vaults and what you want to do is connect them up or are you starting off with a copy of 1Password that hasn't been set up yet?
    2. If you look in your Dropbox folder while on one of your Macs do you see either a) ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain or b) ~/Dropbox/apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain? I think it will be b) but it's best to confirm this with you.

Once we know those two bits of information we can create pretty specific steps for you :smile:

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options
    1. 1Password has been set up on both computers and sort of worked. I am now trying to get everything to network.

2. I see neither of them. What I see is ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dgolden,

Let's try fully resetting sync across all your devices. This will ensure that everything is syncing to the same place.

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, and tap Disable Sync.

• On the Macs, open 1Password for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On one Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On one Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and find the 1Password.agilekeychain file (that we created in the previous step). Click this vault, and enter your Master Password if prompted.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

Please note that if you have a larger database, it may take Dropbox a few moments to sync your keychain. So please be patient before testing that everything is up and running!

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

Megan

Your second bullet states, "On the Macs, open 1Password for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing"

When I click Sync, there is no Change syncing button. I can only choose, iCloud, dropbox, or folder. Again there is no Change syncing button. Forgive me for not understanding

David

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi David ( @Dgolden ),

Ah, thanks for clarifying that! No worries - you're not misunderstanding ... but that message indicates that your Mac is not currently set up for syncing (which would explain why sync isn't working!)

In that case, I would recommend disabling sync on the other devices and continuing on down the list of instructions. Once sync is off everywhere, we can start turning it on again, device by device. :)

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

I have disabled syncing on the other devices as stated in bullet 1 above which states, "On your iOS devices, open 1Password for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, and tap Disable Sync."

Now please clearly tell me what to do. I am still stuck on bullet two as explained in my previous post. Please Please be clear.

David

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi David ( @Dgolden ),

Now that sync is disabled, you should be able to proceed with the remaining instructions:

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On one Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On one Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and find the 1Password.agilekeychain file (that we created in the previous step). Click this vault, and enter your Master Password if prompted.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync.

Please let me know if you need clarification for any of these steps!

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

Megan

I'm sorry but these instructions do not make sense. Where is the remove data checkbox you talk about? Am I supposed to check it? I do not have a 1 Password folder on Dropbox. I only have ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain -- there is no folder there

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dgolden,

Sorry for the confusion. The Delete data from Dropbox checkbox is present in the window where you confirm you wish to disable Dropbox sync on the Mac. As you never had Dropbox syncing set up you never got the chance to see this conformation window. So the checkbox bit doesn't apply to your situation.

While you don't have a 1Password folder, something you will see created automatically by 1Password later in the steps, you do still have the 1Password.agilekeychain which you will want to remove. Don't worry, it's just the sync container and both 1Password for Mac and iOS are quite happy creating a new one, it's why Megan has been guiding you through the process. We mention 1Password folders because both 1Password for Mac and iOS do normally create these folders - it was only 1Password 3 for Mac that would store your 1Password.agilekeychain in the root folder of Dropbox.

Does that help at all? After you've deleted the 1Password.agilekeychain you should be able to continue from the third bullet point but please do let us know if you're still find the steps tough to follow :smile:

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for clarifying the instructions.

I followed all the steps but I still cannot sync my login data. On the iPad on the Sync settings page the error message in red is "Failed to delete remote path." On the iPhone the error message in red is "Failed to upload file to Dropbox. The laptop and desktop computers have no error messages but when I add a login to one commuter it does not transfer to the other computer.

David

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

Update

I fiddle with the iPad and iPhone and then did another sync on both of them and now there are no more error messages. The iPad and iPhone will pass logins between them but not to the desktop or laptop. Also the desktop and laptop will not pass logins to each other or to the iPhone or iPad.
    David

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dgolden,

Can you verify the following for me please.

1. On one of your iOS devices, open 1Password for iOS.
    2. Enter 1Password for iOS's Settings (the cog icon).
    3. Tap the Sync option.
    4. The top line should read Sync Service Dropbox >, tap that.
    5. On this new screen it should say Dropbox with a tick to the left and just under that you should see a path to the Agile Keychain file. For a single primary vault on iOS it may very well say /apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. Make a note of this path.

Repeat the following steps for each Mac.

1. Open 1Password for Mac and enter 1Password's preferences.
    2. Switch to the Sync tab.
    3. It should say Syncing with Dropbox and then under that it should display a path. Mine for example would say LittleBobbyTables ► Dropbox ► apps ►1Password ► 1Password.agilekeychain.

With the exception of the LittleBobbyTables ► Dropbox these paths are the same. That's how I know all copies of 1Password are pointing to the same Agile Keychain in Dropbox.

If your Macs don't show a path and don't say they're syncing to Dropbox then we need to help you set up Dropbox syncing. It all it should entail is the following:

1. Click on the Dropbox icon in the Sync tab.
    2. Click the Choose... button in the new window that pops up.
    3. Select your 1Password.agilekeychain that your iOS devices are syncing to and then click the Open button.
    4. Click the Merge with Existing button.
    5. You may be asked to confirm that you wish to merge, if you do that's okay, that's what you want to do.

If the paths don't match up then it seems you have set your Mac to sync now but it isn't using the same Agile Keychain. That's where the steps Megan talked about would then come into play. We would first disable Dropbox Sync by clicking the Change Syncing... button and then you would see the Delete data from Dropbox checkbox she referred to. We suggest ticking it because you don't want multiple Agile Keychains in your Dropbox that may only cause confusion later when all you really want is a single one so all the copies of 1Password synchronise. After you click the Disable Sync button you could then use the steps above.

If you are in any doubt at all please let us know what path 1Password for iOS is syncing to from the steps at the top of the page and then if it's easier, post a screenshot of your Sync tab from 1Password for Mac, from both Macs if they are different. To help on how to take a screenshot you might find this website How to take a screenshot useful and you can attach images to a post here in the forums using this image as a reference.

If you do decide to do so please do check the image before uploading to make sure it doesn't display anything you really don't want visible in a public forum.

I believe we're making progress and that we're almost there :smile:

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

Both the iPhone 5s and the iPad air 2 are syncing to /1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

The desktop is syncing with Dropbox to davidgoldenberg(with a house) /Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain and the box states last synced 15 minutes ago. Nevertheless logins on the Desktop do not pass to the iOS Devices. The two iOS devices will sync to each other but not to the Desktop.

For the laptop, it is not syncing at all. Under the sync tab I choose Dropbox, choose the dropbox folder , choose open, select Merge with Existing and put in the dropbox password but the password is rejected. I know my password is correct because if I go to www.dropbox.com I can log in with that password. So thats where I am

David

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dgolden,

Sorry for the trouble you've been having trying to add a screenshot. Normally it works but sometimes the forums do spit the dummy. Hopefully we can gets these tantrums under control.

So back to your issue. On your laptop we should be able to get Dropbox working. When 1Password asks for a password it isn't asking for your Dropbox one, that you've already supplied when you installed the Dropbox service on your laptop. The password 1Password is looking for is the password for your vault. That should get the laptop connected.

Now for your desktop. I admit, everything looks like it is connected up. It might be worth trying a reboot just in case but I think we might want to look at a couple of diagnostic reports to see if we can identify the cause.

I would like you to create the following Diagnostic Reports please, one for each device. These guides will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the first diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two. For additional diagnostic reports please wait for the automated reply that will be forthcoming. If you either reply to that email or use the email subject as is it will allow our system to link the emails together as belonging to a single issue.

Once you've sent the reports a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytables

Thank you for your replies and help so far.

After receiving your answer I went back to the laptop and entered the 1Password password instead of the Dropbox password. At first it didn't take it but then I changed to enter the password from the iPad for 1Password and that worked. Now the laptop , iPhone , and IPad can talk to each other but not to the desktop.

Let me explain about the passwords. There is one password for 1Password on the desktop and laptop and a second password for 1Password on the iPhone and iPad. Who knows why there are two passwords but that is the way it is. I have been trying to change the password on the iOS devices to match the password on the laptop and desktop but could not figure out how to do it. Is this part of the problem?

Secondly I have sent in the diagnostic report from the Desktop. with a link to this thread and my forum handle. When the automatic reply comes I will send the diagnostic report from the laptop and iOS devices.

David

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

I have sent the diagnostic report from the desktop and laptop but I am having trouble sending it from the iPhone. The directions state that the troubleshooting zip file will be in the Downloads directory but there is no such directory on my iPhone. Please send further clarification

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

@Dgolden: Sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you're trying to use the Mac instructions to send the diagnostics from your iOS device. Please follow the instructions for 1Password for iOS instead:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

And be sure to include a link to this thread and your forum username when you send it, and post the ticket number you are given by BitBot, so we can connect the dots and get things sorted out for you as quickly as possible. Thanks in advance! :)

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

when I click on the link it gets to a page that says, "Comment not found". Please send me a valid link

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Here is another link telling you how to send a 1P for iOS diagnostic report:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dgolden: Ouch. Sorry about that. The forums seem to have gone a bit haywire with the link, but Stephen_C was able to provide the correct one (and I've also updated my post to fix the error).

Again, I apologize for the trouble. Be sure to let us know how it turns out! :)

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

The link he sent me is for the Mac. I need the link for iOS

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dgolden: This is the link that both Stephen and I provided:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

It is for the iOS version of 1Password:

If you are seeing something else, there may be something wrong with your browser (caching issue?), so please try restarting or resetting it.

I can't give you a different link, as that is the correct one. But, as in that guide, you can go to 1Password Settings > Advanced > Advanced > Diagnostics > Send Diagnostics. I hope this helps! :)

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

I do not have in my 1Password on iOS , when I go to setting, there is no Advanced. Let me say that again, first I reboot the iPad, then I open 1password on the iPad, then I click the gear that brings up Settings, THERE IS NO ADVANCED.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

THERE IS NO ADVANCED.

Make sure you scroll right down to the bottom of the screen. It is there.

Stephen

• peri
    Options

Hey @Dgolden. I've just located your reports and replied via email. Please have a look at my response, and let me know what you find out. Thanks!
    ref: WXE-99962-215

• Dgolden
    Dgolden
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen : yes you are correct. I needed to scroll all the way down

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dgolden,

I'm glad we're slowly sorting this out! Since you've received an email reply from Peri, I'm going to close this thread - we'll keep the conversation going directly via email so that we don't get things muddle up between here and there.

You're in good hands and should be back up and running soon! :)

This discussion has been closed.