Import failed. Database is invalid. ios 5.4.3 from 3.5.2

rosende
rosende
Community Member

I upgraded to ios 1password version 5.4.3 from ios 1password version 3.5.2. I followed all of the instructions to import from legacy versions. When I start version 5, it freezes up and I get a message that says "Import Failed. Database is invalid." I've tried it many times and followed the instructions perfectly. What can I do? Is there another way to export and import the database?

1Password Version: 5.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 8
Sync Type: import from legacy

Comments

• Hi @rosende,

Have you already tried these instructions for importing from versions of v3 older than v3.7.1?
    https://support.1password.com/upgrade-ios/#1password-3-7-1-or-earlier

Please let us know.

Ben

• rosende
    rosende
    Community Member

Yes. I followed these instructions exactly several times.

• Thanks, rosende. In that case our best course of action would be to attempt to get you updated to 1Password 3.7.2 prior to attempting to migrate the data to 1Password 5.

On your iPhone please launch the App Store app, navigate to the Updates > Purchased tab, and then under the 'All' heading see if you can find 1Password 3.7.2. If you can, please try downloading it.

Thanks!

Ben

• rosende
    rosende
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. That doesn't seem to work for me. In the App Store Updates > Purchased tab, I find 1Password for iPhone Version 3.7.2. The box reads "open." If I touch the box, it opens version 3.5.2. If I touch the app icon, it takes me to a loading screen that gives me the iOS spinning loading icon. It never loads. Is there something else I can do to upgrade to 3.7.2? Thanks so much.

• Hi @rosende,

I'm sorry for the continued trouble. Normally this process is fairly straight forward; it is the fact that you aren't on the latest release of 1Password 3 for iOS prior to upgrading to v5 that is hanging us up a bit. Unfortunately getting the latest version is not as easy and pain free as we'd like. As we no longer sell that version the App Store doesn't make it very accessible (if at all).

Before we get too much further: do you have a Mac? It is possible we could install 1Password v3 for Mac, WiFi sync v3 for iOS to it, update the Mac to v5, and then WiFi sync v5 for Mac with v5 for iOS.

If that isn't possible what we'll want to do is:

• Make sure you have a good backup of your data. I'd recommend having both a 1Password backup and a whole phone backup through iTunes.
    • Erase 1Password v3 from your phone [note: this will erase all of the data contained within, which is why the first step is so important]
    • Reinstall v3 from the App Store > Updates > Purchased tab, which should give you v3.7.2 this time
    • Import the data you backed up in step 1 into v3.7.2
    • Use the first method in this guide to upgrade to v5: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-ios/

The first option (WiFi syncing with a Mac running 1P v3 for Mac) would certainly be the safer option if we have that available to us.

Thanks.

Ben

• rosende
    rosende
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. I do have a Mac. I'm at work and will have access to my Mac later tonight. Will it be easiest to sync with my Mac? How do I do that? Thanks so much for your help.

• @rosende,

Yes, I think that would be the best solution. You'd do that by downloading 1Password 3 for Mac:
    https://agilebits.com/downloads#legacy_versions

Then you'd set up WiFi syncing between 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 3 for iOS. Once you have your data in 1Password 3 for Mac, you'd install 1Password 5 for Mac:
    https://agilebits.com/downloads

And then lastly setup WiFi (or Dropbox) syncing between 1Password 5 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS.

Thanks!

Ben

• rosende
    rosende
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. I will try it tonight. I appreciate your help.

• Please let us know how it turns out. :)

• rosende
    rosende
    Community Member

Thank you very much Ben. It worked perfectly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rosende: Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Ben, you are most welcome. You should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.