Suggestion Android workarounds

Hi guys,
For those of us on Android, what do you suggest as the best way for accessing 1Password? It would be nice to see a FAQ for exactly how you suggest doing this.

Off the top of my head (based on some of your own FAQs), I would
a) install Sugarsync [Dropbox does not work with Android. But does 1Password work with Sugarsync?]
b) export a password protected PDF to the SugarSync folder
b) install Sugar Sync on my Android device.

Is this how you suggest working with Android phones? I figured I'd ask before switching over to SugarSync, etc.

Thanks for a great product (that still needs Android support :))

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    If Android's web browser is mostly capable, you could probably use the 1Password Mobile Safari bookmarklet for this. You would need to copy the bookmarklet's contens into an Android bookmarklet. Depending on the number of entries you export, this could be quite large and might not be supported by Android. There is also the File > Export [Selected, All] > Encrypted Web Page. This might work for Android browser too as it was initially designed to work with Mobile Safari as well. If you saved that file to SugarSync, that might work for you as well.

SugarSync can sync your AgileKeychain, but it is a little fiddly because last count I had, SugarSync does not support package files, which is what the 1Password data file is. But I don't think you'd need to do that for just this purpose. Just put the export into one of your folders that *is* synched to SugarSync and it should be available. The data file itself is not needed to work with the exports.

I hope this helps.
  • reddyreal
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the reply, Jamie.

A few pts in your instructions I'm still not clear on:

-Do I need to move my Agile Keychain out of Dropbox and into Sugarsync? Or do you recommend syncing between Dropbox and Sugar Sync on my home computer?

-How do I create a Mobile Safari Bookmarklet? Couldn't find it on the 1Password site.

-With either of your options, will live syncing take place? In other words, will the keychain on my home computer be able to translate changes I make to, for example, an encrypted web page?

-I don't know if a folder is the same thing as a package (I'm guessing not) but I just saw this. Does this assuage those concerns you mentioned about sugarsync's capabilities?
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    reddyreal wrote:
    -Do I need to move my Agile Keychain out of Dropbox and into Sugarsync? Or do you recommend syncing between Dropbox and Sugar Sync on my home computer?

I would keep using Dropbox to sync between Macs but I would put the exported keychain (web page, PDF, whatever you choose) into SugarSync so that it will be available on your Android device.

reddyreal wrote:
    -How do I create a Mobile Safari Bookmarklet? Couldn't find it on the 1Password site.

This is in 1Password 3. In the main window, click the gear button in the bottom left and choose the New Logins Bookmarklet option. This will create the bookmark in Safari, so you'll need to figure a way to get it into your Android browser. I'm not too familiar with Android, so I'm not sure how you'd do that.

reddyreal wrote:
    -With either of your options, will live syncing take place? In other words, will the keychain on my home computer be able to translate changes I make to, for example, an encrypted web page?

No, since this is an export, you'll need to export the file to update it after changes are made on your Mac. Also, note that this is a one-way operation. You won't be able to add, remove, or otherwise alter the information in the exported data set.

reddyreal wrote:
    -I don't know if a folder is the same thing as a package (I'm guessing not) but I just saw this. Does this assuage those concerns you mentioned about sugarsync's capabilities?

No, a package is a folder that has a special flag set that tells the Finder to treat it as a single file. (All of your .apps are packages for instance.) Apps that do not account for this try to sync the whole folder each time there is a change, which defeats the purpose of using the package capability, slows down synching, and makes the entire process more error-prone. You can attempt to work around this with SugarSync by renaming the 1Password.agilekeychain file to 1Password.agilekeychain_folder so Finder does not know it should treat it as a single file and sync the folder. But if you're using Dropbox, I would stick with that as it works better with packages.
  • reddyreal
    edited December 1969
    Excellent, detailed response. Short of supporting Android, you guys have the best customer support I've seen. Thanks!
  • reddyreal
    edited December 1969
    For future Android visitors, here is the pertinent info to my current "workaround," if you can call it that:

-Mobile Safari Bookmarklet did not work in either Android's default browser or the Dolphin Browser. I imported it using an app called "My Bookmarks," which supports importing bookmarklets, but the Mobile Safari Bookmarklet opens to nothing.

-I exported a PDF from 1Password, made it password-protected, and that is how I now access my passwords. HOWEVER! Here is how pathetic this setup is:
    • I put a shortcut to the PDF (created via Astro) on my home page.
    • Whenever I click the shortcut, my phone searches the entire phone for all PDFs (takes 15-20 sec.)
    • Then I find the PDF, and enter the password to unlock it.
    • And for the cherry on top: Because Android's default PDF app (and any PDF viewer that does not cost $10 or more [I'm thinking of you Documents2Go]) does not support copy and paste(?!), I have to manually write down the passwords from the screen.
    • Then I look back at my super hi-tec loose leaf paper and enter the password into the browser.

This is almost insultingly tedious right now. Here's what I'd like to do:
    Many Android users seem to use the not-pretty but functional KeePass app to house their passwords. KeePass supports importing CSV files, which apparently you can export from 1Password Pro. Yet i1Password Pro is an iPhone/iTouch app (am I wrong here??) and so the people who could probably use CSV files the most [for interoperability in their Android lives] are being ignominiously left out.

I'm happy to be wrong in any of this (copy/paste PDF viewers in Android; better KeePass support) but mostly, I just wish Agile would realize that the Mac-centric demographic they've targeted has been abundantly disillusioned with the iPhone/ATT monolith for some time.

Any help is appreciated...
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    The only correction I'd like to make to that is that 1Password Pro can only backup its own database format. 1Password for Mac can export to CSV for importing into KeePass if you like.
  • reddyreal
    edited December 1969
    Here's what the Keepass site says about importing from 1Password, in case you weren't already aware:

"KeePass can import CSV files exported by 1Password Pro. When exporting the data, make sure:

-All fields must be exported.
    -Choose the tabulator (Tab) as field separator.
    -The option for enclosing fields in quotes must be enabled."

I am not seeing any of these options when I "Export All" and select "Text File."
    How do I complete the above steps to ensure 1Password for Mac makes the proper export?
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Unfortunately, that information is incorrect. 1Password for Mac exports in Tab delimited files only but it does not quote the field values. Perhaps this is something we can add for a future release.
  • reddyreal
    edited December 1969
    Ok, but you did mention in a previous post that 1Password for Mac could export a CSV file (which I could maybe finagle into something other Android Password apps can read). Is that true and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks for the help!
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    I misspoke. It can export to a delimited plain text file, which uses the tab character. It would be trivial to do a find and replace against the tab character to replace it with a comma for CSV. You could also open it in Numbers or Excel and then save it as CSV for a more robust result.
  • reddyreal
    edited December 1969
    Let's talk about the four hours I spent today trying to figure this out (would it be so crazy for one of you guys to just get an Android phone and figure out how to do this workaround so you can post it on your site?? I know you rely on customers for feedback but this is kind of ridiculous...):

So. Let's start with the glorious 1Password Export. Every time I export a txt file from 1Password, I have to single-click on all ~30 checkboxes, which is really fun(think). Especially when you do it ten times. Anyway, future Android visitors:

-Tried OISafe, using the method proposed by this guy. Problem was, OISafe is junk on Android phones. As a bonus, this guy's utility actually switches the username/password locations. Not the biggest deal in the world but...Copying and pasting simply does not work for any complex passwords in OISafe. I have no idea why—it's able to copy simple passwords that are all letters, but nothing with numbers in them.
    -Tried KeePass. Exported 1Password as txt file, saved it in Excel as a .csv file, per Jaimie's instructions. KeePass simply did not recognize the CSV file.
    -Secrets is no longer being developed.
    -LastPass costs money, too but I think charges monthly fees, which freak me out.

Did slight variations on the 1Password Export about ten different times.

So...I just splurged, out of desperation, and bought SplashID. Not cheap!:S 30 bucks...so far. Because to get the "1Password Import Tool," I think I have to spend another 10 bucks. Agile, are you listening?:) I'm throwing away my money to a company I don't know anything about for one measly purpose: To get my (quite popular) phone to work with YOUR product.

Frankly, I've already spent too much time banging my head against the wall with such a dead-obvious request that I'm happy to give my money elsewhere. The fact that no one at Agile can figure out instructions for how to do a workaround boggles my mind, sorry. Again, you don't have to have a fix in the software! All you need to do is say, "We tested out such and such app and it seems to work the best out of all the options, if you really need to get your passwords into an Android phone." I'm not asking for a software fix—just some guidance here.
  • mntbikejack
    edited December 1969
    reddyreal wrote:
    L." I'm not asking for a software fix—just some guidance here.

I went the SpashID route also because they supported both Mac & Android. I was also familiar with them from my Palm days.
    I love 1Password but I needed a whole solution and it looks like Agile is not interested in anything but Apple platforms. I hope they have more time to develop for additional mobile platforms because 1Password is a great product.
  • reddyreal
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for letting me know, mntbikejack! Glad to hear others have found SplashID as a better solution.
  • reddyreal
    edited December 1969
    Just so future users know, SplashID is a fine password manager for replacing 1Password and works brilliantly on Android but currently, you still can't import 1Password's data into SplashID.

Very good customer service over there, though...
  • mntbikejack
    edited January 2010
    reddyreal wrote:

you still can't import 1Password's data into SplashID.
    QUOTE]

Actually you can import if you use the full desktop version 30 day eval.

Not ideal but it can be done without additional cost.

As per SplashID support:
    " This is available in the SplashID standalone program - version 5 - it has a 30 day trial so if you want to can install this, import your 1Password file, export a vID file that you can then import into any other version. "
  • reddyreal
    edited December 1969
    Have you actually used SplashID for importing from 1Password or are you just speculating from their website? Cause I did the same thing and thought I was corrected...

Here's my email exchange from customer support at SplashID:
    Re: "Where's the 1Password Import tool??"

Thank you for contacting us.

Android SplashID 4.6 is the latest version. There is no Android 5.x.

Please give me a transaction ID or an Order number to refund your purchase.
    Please let me know, if you have further questions.
    -- Christina
    SplashData Support

So...The info on SplashID's website can be pretty confusing but I'm pretty sure the 5.x versions are for non-Android platforms (blackberry, iphone).

Please confirm that I'm not crazy and that you haven't already done an import!:)
  • mntbikejack
    edited December 1969
    reddyreal wrote:
    Have you actually used SplashID for importing from 1Password or are you just speculating from their website? Cause I did the same thing and thought I was corrected...

So...The info on SplashID's website can be pretty confusing but I'm pretty sure the 5.x versions are for non-Android platforms (blackberry, iphone).

Please confirm that I'm not crazy and that you haven't already done an import!:)

Yes I have and it works. You still need to use the 4.6 android version but you use the 5 standalone desktop for Mac version to import the 1Password file and then export it to the 4.6 version.
  • reddyreal
    edited December 1969
    Ah ha! You are correct. My bad. Incredibly convoluted and (eventually, anyway) expensive. But it does work. Thanks for the help, mntbikejack.
  • mntbikejack
    edited December 1969
    reddyreal wrote:
    Incredibly convoluted and (eventually, anyway) expensive.

It sure is convoluted. I also would have preferred to give my money to Agile!
  • kelchm
    kelchm
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Agile,

Can we please get an Android application? This is ridiculous.
  • DistortedLoop
    edited December 1969
    I'm really confused at all the hoops people are trying to jump through here.

Also not ideal, but appears to work with little effort and no issues for me (after just two days of owning/testing a Nexus One):

1Password - File - Export All - Encrypted Webpage

Email the newly created 1Password.html file to your self.

Open the file attachment when needed right out of your email, or save it to the desktop on the Android device.

Simple.

Even simpler would be just saving the 1Password file to some folder on your Mac that auto-syncs with your Android phone, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I'm really liking the Nexus One so far, but a whole lot of learning to do to get as functional with my Mac-life as my iPhone is.

All that said, an Android-solution from Agile would be well worth the price of a a few grande latte's to have... ;-)
  • silvertje
    silvertje
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the simple solution.

I exported my passwords with 1Password - File - Export All - Encrypted Webpage

I synched this encrypted webpage with Dropbox and accessed Dropbox by browser on the Nexus One.

Easy, simple and quick.
  • DistortedLoop
    edited December 1969
    silvertje wrote:
    Thanks for the simple solution.

I exported my passwords with 1Password - File - Export All - Encrypted Webpage

I synched this encrypted webpage with Dropbox and accessed Dropbox by browser on the Nexus One.

Easy, simple and quick.

Yep, it is. That's why I'm not understanding all the angst. I ended up using dropbox weblink. Need to keep a copy on the SD card for local access if you happen to not be in a service/wifi area.
  • KizzashRules
    KizzashRules
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    dropbox just released a beta version of their product called Droidbox
  • KizzashRules
    KizzashRules
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    BTW.. can someone tell me...

in 1PW 2.11.1 I have Export > "Web Page..."

is this the same as "Encrypted Webpage" in 3.0 or is the 3.0 "Encrypted Webpage" more secure than the one in 2.1?
  • mntbikejack
    edited December 1969
    Yep, it is. That's why I'm not understanding all the angst. I ended up using dropbox weblink. Need to keep a copy on the SD card for local access if you happen to not be in a service/wifi area.

The angst is because we need a solution that allows you to add new entries from the droid , not just view existing ones.
  • KizzashRules
    KizzashRules
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    so once we get it saved on the Droid, how do you open it? How do you access it?
  • DistortedLoop
    edited December 1969
    The angst is because we need a solution that allows you to add new entries from the droid , not just view existing ones.

Oh, c'mon. Yes, it's not ideal, but it's also not like you don't have access to your passwords at all. I'd like an Android solution ASAP as well, but how often do you actually create new passwords while on your mobile? Seriously.

This situation is annoying, not life altering as far as I am concerned.
  • DistortedLoop
    edited December 1969
    dropbox just released a beta version of their product called Droidbox

No, Dropbox did not release a beta version. An independent developer has released a time-limited and a paid version of an application (Droidbox) that is "dropbox compatible". This does not appear to be an officially sponsored Dropbox solution.
  • Gazooo123
    Gazooo123
    Community Member
    edited April 2010
    Sad to say,

But I am saying goodbye to 1Password for now. I have gone full time to Lastpass after getting tired of updating Lastpass with my 1Password info. It works great and is available to me on my Android phone.

Only drawback is that Lastpass passwords are not on your phone for some reason. You actually log in every time you open it. That being said, I haven't come across a time I needed it and I couldn't get an internet connection, either wifi or cellular.

I pay $12/ yr for Lastpass Premium which you need for the Android support. I can live with that so I have access to all my passwords and no longer have to do any crazy hoop jumping.

On Android Lastpass also has a browser built in that is okay, and can go to the site and log me in. I can make changes to sites and passwords and it all syncs and is permanent even on the go.

I no longer sync, or anything, it is just there.

I have been running 1Password since my first Mac in 2007. I have seen leaps and bounds of huge improvements. Like Roboform on the PC side, I never thought I would use another password manager other than 1Password. I currently own a family plan at home and gave my sister and sister in law each a copy when they purchased there new Mac's over the last year. I always speak highly of your software and customer support.

I will keep tabs to see if anything changes, but if history is an indication I don't forsee any other device support other than Apple products from your company.

I will keep checking though...
This discussion has been closed.