Error: Looking for the 1Password helper [Caused by Avast, which is later resolved on its own]

Options
ringmaster
ringmaster
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

The full error message is.... Error: Looking for the 1Password helper The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly. Try again Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension.

I think the problem may have to do with a recent Windows update or Avast antivirus update as that's when I've lost access from both browsers. 1Password has been working for many months on Firefox and Chrome before this with no problems.

Comments

• Hi there!

I would wager that the issue is being caused by Avast. This is unusual, because we haven't had any reports about their software preventing the usage of the 1Password extensions in quite a while.

Can you please restart your PC and check if the error persists. If it does please let us know, we have a couple of possible solutions here.

Cheers

• ringmaster
    ringmaster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Alex for your response. Oddly it now works after rebooting it the second time. The first time made no changes but all is fine now. Avast brought down Olark users (which we are one) and they're scrambling for a solution. I thought this was related. Many thanks!!! (BTW, our office loves 1password!!!)

• LauraR
    Options

@ringmaster - on @AlexH behalf - you are very welcome.

This discussion has been closed.