Sync mac to iCloud

Options
Vinny70
Vinny70
Community Member

After sync 1password to iCloud i do not find the backup's location at my iCloud.
I thought it would be in iCloud drive,but it isn't.
Where is the location of the backup in iCloud after sync?

1Password Version: 4.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.1
OS Version: osx 10.9.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

1Password doesn't actually use iCloud Drive for syncing. Instead it uses CloudKit, which became available with Yosemite. I use Dropbox myself, so I am not 100% certain about this, but I don't think users can view the synced file. I know it won't be available in the standard view of iCloud Drive.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Vinny70 ,

First of all, I want to clarify the difference here between 'backup' and 'sync'.

Backups

1Password automatically makes backups of your datafile to a default location on your hard drive. A copy of your entire 1Password database (all vaults included) is zipped up and stored for future reference. These backups happen on a daily basis (whenever data within your database has been changed.) If you have purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, your backups will be stored here: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups. If you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store, your backups will be stored here: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups.

Sync

When you choose to sync a vault, 1Password will make a copy of the vault's data and store it in the appropriate sync location. (For Dropbox and Folder Sync, this is a folder that you have chosen. For iCloud, the data is synced using CloudKit and stored in the location determined by Apple.) This sync file is a live file and is constantly changing every time you add or remove data from your vault. Sync files should not be relied upon as backups.

I thought it would be in iCloud drive,but it isn't.
    Where is the location of the backup in iCloud after sync?

Your version information states that you're on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). iCloud Drive was introduced in Yosemite. As Hawkmoth mentions we don't use iCloud Drive for syncing, so you won't see a 1Password file in there. On Mavericks, the iCloud sync file is stored here: ~/Library/Mobile Documents/2BUA8C4S2C\~com\~agilebits\~onepassword/onepassword_data/default.

In general though, I don't recommend touching that file. Just let iCloud sync work its magic.

Is there a reason that you're looking for your sync file? If you're having trouble with 1Password, we'd be happy to help. :)

• Vinny70
    Vinny70
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Megan,

Now i understand how 1password works.I thought that sync was the same as making a backup.
    Now i see that sync is only to place changing automatically to iphone or ipad who has 1password to.
    If i'm understand correct,i must update my osx to Yosemite en iphone 4s to the latest osx ?
    After that it must be possible to run 1password on iphone with the synchronized passwords.
    Apologize if i'm typing wrong english vocabulary!I did my best.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Vinny70,

If you use Dropbox for cloud synchronisation you can run either 1Password 4 or 5 on both your Macs and iOS devices. Dropbox allows for multiple versions to communicate with each other.

It is different for iCloud. With iCloud you either have to be running 1Password 4 everywhere and you can't have upgraded to iCloud Drive or if you have upgraded to iCloud Drive, Apple's new iCloud, then you have no choice but to now run 1Password 5 everywhere. When it comes to iCloud you can't mix versions. The reason is the old iCloud and the new iCloud Drive are not compatible and so as soon as you upgrade to iCloud Drive you cut off support for the 1Password 4, Mavericks and iOS 7.

Does that help?

This discussion has been closed.