Question about Mac for OS 10.9 and IOS compatibility

Options
paulhrich
paulhrich
Community Member

Hi,
I'm a completely new user on a Mac platform, running Mavericks. I don't want to upgrade to Yosemite as a lot of the user reviews are alarming to me (but that's another story). My understanding is I can run 1Password 4.4.3 with Mavericks, and my question is twofold: what about iOS ? I have an iPhone and iPad running the latest upgrades, and will there be a compatibility issue with me using 4.4.3?
Also, what is the price of 4.4.3? I see no mention on the legacy part of the store.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

The price for version 4.4.3 is the same as for version 5. Version 5 is a free upgrade from version 4, whenever you are ready for that. If you buy from the AgileBits web store, you would buy a license for version 5, which is backwards compatible with version 4. You'll receive an email with directions for applying your license. I can't remember for sure, but it may also have a link included for where to get a copy of version 4. If that isn't an accurate memory, you can get a copy in the legacy section of the AgileBits Downloads page by scrolling to the bottom of the page. The link you want will be found there.

You will be able to use it in concert with the iOS version of 1Password on the latest iOS operating system, if you sync using Dropbox. iCloud will not be an option for syncing, in part because the protocols changed for that when iOS 8 (and Yosemite) were released. I assume you already have the necessary copies installed on your iOS devices, but if you don't, do know that this is a separate license. It's free to use in its basic form, but there is an in-app purchase needed to activate a more advanced set of features (Pro features).

One caution: if you ever do want to sync through iCloud when you upgrade to Yosemite, you will need to get your license through the Mac App Store, because Apple has closed off that option to applications they don't sell themselves. I am not sure how you should go about getting version 4 in that case, though. If that's your preference, post back and someone will guide you through a rather more tricky process that will require that you at least have access to a machine running Yosemite.

Be sure to ask your other questions as they occur to you. There is lots of good help available here.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paulhrich,

Hopefully you found hawkmoth's post informative but should you have any questions at all please do ask. He is correct, you can purchase the Mac App Store version and still run 1Password 4 for Mac but the gotcha is you have to purchase it from a machine running 10.10 as Apple will let you download the older version for compatibility reasons but not purchase unless it's on a compatible machine. Please do let us know if you have any questions at all :smile:

I don't know what you've read about Yosemite but it's not that bad. I installed it because we had users running Yosemite on the first day it was released, I literally had to upgrade before I could help some of our users but while it was a bit of a shock at the start I wouldn't go back. Given El Capitan isn't fundamentally different I hope you can get used to the look and feel as I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon.

• paulhrich
    paulhrich
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Thanks to you both! I think I've got it now. But if I'm correct in my understanding, I can go ahead and just install the legacy version - 4.4.3 - from the agilebits site (?). It seems that would be the easiest route.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paulhrich,

That's correct, if you purchase 1Password 5 from our AgileBits Store the licence file you download is valid for both 1Password 4 and 5 and our AgileBits Download page will allow you to easily download 1Password 4 if you're running Mavericks. The only downside is that if you eventually upgrade to Yosemite and you then want to move to iCloud for syncing you wouldn't be able to. If you have no objections to Dropbox though then everything is golden and you want have any issues going forward :smile:

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@paulhrich - Yes, you can download and install the legacy version from the AgileBits web store. Just a reminder, though, that when it comes to buying a license there, you will buy a license to 1Password 5. I know it seems odd to buy a license for a version you won't be using right away, but that's the way it will work. There isn't anyplace to buy version 4 directly.

You'll need the license within 30 days, when the free trial expires. After that, you'll still have access to your data, but you won't be able to add anything new or edit what you have, until your copy is licensed.

• paulhrich
    paulhrich
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again. I don't have a problem with not using Apple's cloud service, given that I have over 200gb of photos. That is also why I don't want to upgrade to Yosemite -people who have done so have had nothing but trouble with the new Photos app that replaced IPhoto - if you google it you'll see what I mean.
    One question though: I'm unclear on how exactly I would sync using Dropbox - is there a resource that explains this somewhere?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@paulhrich: Indeed! Just follow the guide that hawkmoth linked, and you'll be all set.

Essentially, the easiest way to set it up is to configure Dropbox on the first device — in this case the Mac — and then once Dropbox finishes syncing your data for the first time you can point additional devices at that same vault in Dropbox. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• paulhrich
    paulhrich
    Community Member
    Options

Once again, thanks. You've been a big help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you have any other questions at all please do ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.