1Password incompatibility w/ Chrome v46 (Dev builds) [this incompatibility issue has been resolved]

Options
gross
gross
Community Member
edited September 2015 in Mac

Hi!

I was wondering if there are any known issues with recent updates to Chrome Canary. A few days ago, the extension stopped working for me. I tried re-installing the extension, re-updating Chrome, rebooting, no luck. The browser tab saying that 1Password must be installed pops up, I get a protocol request from Chrome for the 1Password4 URL Scheme, which I launch, the 1Password Mini says "Hey I must be running" (which it is) but the link to Chrome never seems to get established.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: kb-search:chrome extension mac

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gross,

Thanks so much for bringing this issue to our attention! It appears that Chrome has changed something in the latest developer edition that is causing some problems for 1Password. We’ll need to make changes to the extension before 46 becomes stable, but I don’t have a timeframe for when that might happen. So for now, your best bet is to use the stable release version of Chrome to ensure 1Password behaves properly.

And we'll do what we can to have this resolved soon! :)

• gross
    gross
    Community Member
    Options

Great, I was hoping you would say that and it wasn't something else broken around here.

Let me know if a beta extension comes out you would like me to test. I'll use the plethora of other browsers available to me in the meantime.

Thanks for the quick response!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gross,

Thanks for the testing offer! We'll let you know when we have more information :)

• ziggie216
    ziggie216
    Community Member
    Options

Having same issue too. I'm on Chrome canary 46.0.2459.0, 1Password 5.3.2. No problem with Safari.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ziggie216: Ah, I see! Are you able to use the extension with the stable release of Chrome? Only the stable releases are supported, but we'll continue to monitor things there as development progresses. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• Sajonara
    Sajonara
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem since the very last update of Chrome (46.0.2467.2 dev (64-bit)). The error log from the 1PW extension seems to have connection issues:

WebSocket connection to 'ws://127.0.0.1:6263/4' failed: Connection closed before receiving a handshake response

[AGENT] socket error: [object Event]; readyState=3. Perhaps Helper is not running on ws://127.0.0.1:6263/4 or is shutting down?

WebSocket connection to 'ws://127.0.0.1:10196/4' failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sajonara & @ziggie216,

I've split your comments off from that other thread because there is a known issue with the current developer version of Chrome (v46 AKA Canary). I believe we're going to have to make not insignificant changes there and until we've had the opportunity our extension will not work with the dev build. If your preferred browser is Chrome we can only recommend returning to the stable for the moment while we work on this. Sorry for the inconvenience :(

• Sajonara
    Sajonara
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables No problem at all. I appreciate your work.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hopefully we can get normal service returned soon :smile:

• stephenhamilton
    stephenhamilton
    Community Member
    Options

Just started experiencing almost the same behaviour as hooky here.

OSX 10.10.4
    1Password app : 1Password 5, Version 5.3.2 (532001), Agile Web Store

Chrome Version 46.0.2467.2 dev (64-bit)
    1Password extension : 4.4.2.90

Behaviour - install extension, click cog in chrome menu bar, new tab opens with text saying that it is looking for 1Password (which is open) and a popup launches which prompts 'External Protocol Request'. Click 'launch application' and 1Password 5 quits. If I try again, same thing happens. This is new behaviour as I was successfully using the chrome extension via the Chrome menu bar last week.

Extension works fine in firefox, safari and my Mac's menu bar

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stephenhamilton,

I hope you don't mind but I've split your post from that other thread and added your post here instead. Your issue might look similar on the surface but it is actually quite different. You're running the developer build of Google Chrome, AKA Canary and they've made a big change. For now our extension simply won't work in the developer build until our own developers have completely rewritten how communication works between the Chrome extension and 1Password mini. It's not going to be a small tweak so I would expect our extension not to work for a while I'm afraid. Our recommendation is to use the stable version for now while we address this. It will be resolved but we need to review the new system we're meant to implement, code it up and iron out all the bugs.

• stephenhamilton
    stephenhamilton
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - that explains it :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of @littlebobbytables, you're most welcome. Glad his explanation helped you out! :)

• wsizoo
    wsizoo
    Community Member
    Options

Having a similar issue with Chrome Canary. First it hit both regular Chrome and Canary, but now it seems to work just fine on regular Chrome, and Firefox. I understand Canary is a beast of its own, but this doesn't seem to be tied to the the early release.

Chrome: Version 46.0.2471.0 canary (64-bit)
    Mac: os x 10.11 Beta (15A215h)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wsizoo,

Like @littlebobbytables did with @stephenhamilton's post earlier today (and others), I've split your post from the thread where you originally posted it and added it to this thread. I hope you also don't mind. :)

Until the 1Password extension is usable with Chrome Canary you can still use 1Password with the stable version of Chrome. Also with Safari, Firefox, and Opera browsers. The previous post from @littlebobbytables has more information about the issue.

• fullcity
    fullcity
    Community Member
    Options

Same exact issue as reported here except I'm not using any firewall. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
    Extension Version: 4.4.2.90
    OS Version: 10.10.4
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Dwar
    Dwar
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same issue...

• Hi @fullcity and @Dwar,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us! Sorry for the trouble.

Could you please let me know which version of Chrome you're using?

(Just go to Chrome > About Google Chrome in the menu bar to check.)

• fullcity
    fullcity
    Community Member
    Options

46.0.2467.2 dev (64-bit)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fullcity,

I've merged your thread with an existing one. My post above covers the reason why and that the only solution at the moment is to revert to the stable version 44.

@Dwar, I don't know if this is the same cause for you or not but if you're running the developer build of Google Chrome it will be. We'll know better once you've replied.

• fullcity
    fullcity
    Community Member
    Options

Doh! ;)

• OceanWind181
    OceanWind181
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. It just suddenly stopped working in Chrome this morning.

AgileBits, please acknowledge that this is a universal problem.

Yosemite. 1Password 5.3.2. Chrome 46.0.2467.2.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OceanWind181,

I've merged your post with an ongoing thread given you're running Chrome Canary (the developer branch). This post will explain all :smile:

@fullcity, As you can see it's catching a few people out :smile:

• Dwar
    Dwar
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP -- I'm also using Chrome 46.0.2467.2 Dev. I guess this is Canary? I gather this is being worked on and in the mean time I should use another browser.

• Dwar
    Dwar
    Community Member
    Options

Also... folks say I should use a "stable version of Chrome." But how do I get that????

• Dwar
    Dwar
    Community Member
    Options

I just downloaded an earlier version of Chrome... 44.0.2403.125 (64-bit)... and it looks like 1Password is working again. Doesn't pay to be an early adopter, I guess.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dwar,

I'm also using Chrome 46.0.2467.2 Dev. I guess this is Canary?

Sounds like are running the Dev channel build of v46, which is named Google Chrome.app (by default). The Canary build, also v46 at the moment, is a separate app named Google Chrome Canary.app (by default).

folks say I should use a "stable version of Chrome." But how do I get that????

You can download the Stable channel build from https://www.google.com/chrome and replace your Dev channel build with it.

There's information about the different Chrome channels and builds in this document:

Chrome Release Channels - The Chromium Projects

Two points from Going back to a more stable channel at the end:

• If you decide to switch from Dev to Beta or from Beta to Stable, the new channel will be on an earlier version of Google Chrome. You won't get automatic updates on that channel until it reaches a version later than what you're already running.
    • If you re-install an older version, you might find that your profile is not compatible (because the data formats changed in the newer version you had been running). You'll have to delete your profile data. Delete the User Data\Default folder (see the Before You Change Channels section above for the location). If you made a back up of your Default directory, you can then rename it to Default so that you at least restore some of your previous bookmarks, most visited pages, etc.

I recommend looking over that entire document, especially Back up your data! under What should I do before I change my channel?.

Hopefully that's helpful for you and other folks having trouble using 1Password with Chrome version 46, both Dev and Canary channel builds.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dwar,

I just downloaded an earlier version of Chrome... 44.0.2403.125 (64-bit)... and it looks like 1Password is working again.

Glad you got it sorted out before I had a chance to post my reply. :+1:

Doesn't pay to be an early adopter, I guess.

Aways smart to have a fallback safety net when running beta and other pre-release software. :)

• Dwar
    Dwar
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk... thanks... I'll read your post to find out all the things I SHOULD HAVE DONE.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dwar, on behalf of @sjk, you're very welcome! If you have more questions about that or need more help, just let us know. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.