HD crashed, DropBox backup is apparently not up to date - anywhere I can find my latest 1Pass data?

Options
ScottH
ScottH
Community Member

Using a new Mac temporarily. Is there anywhere else I can find my most recent 1Password data?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:HD crashed, DropBox backup is apparently not up to date - anywhere I can find my latest 1Pass data?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ScottH,

I'm sorry to hear that your hard drive crashed - that's never fun!

1Password does make daily backups of your data (in addition to updating that sync file in Dropbox), but the backups are done locally to your drive. Do you have Time Machine backups enabled?

Are you using 1Password on any devices other than your Mac?

• ScottH
    ScottH
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan - No Time Machine backups :( I did manage to copy my documents folder prior on an external drive prior to the crash. I also use 1Password on my iPhone, but it appears to be the same backup generation as my Dropbox desktop

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ScottH,

It doesn't sound promising I'm afraid :( With the exception of synchronisation, your vault and backups are only stored locally. If you'd been using something like Time Machine or any of the drive cloners out there then there might have been something we could work with. If Dropbox wasn't up to date for whatever reason and the only place it was before the hard drive crash was that single machine then sadly it does sound like some data might have been lost. I am sorry to hear this has happened and that we can't offer better news from our side.

Hopefully you haven't lost too much.

• ScottH
    ScottH
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, lesson learned re: Backups!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry you learned this one the hard way, @ScottH. :| And sorry to hear that Dropbox didn't have the latest data! Once Dropbox Sync is configured, it should keep itself up to date automatically, so I'm not sure what may have gone wrong there. In addition to Time Machine, syncing to Dropbox (or iCloud, where available) is one of the best ways to keep your data intact in case of a hard drive crash or other local data loss. I'd suggest you make sure Dropbox Sync is enabled on your new machine.

Best of luck going forward, and we'll be here for you if there's anything else we can help you with!

This discussion has been closed.