I got a email from Wells Fargo to change my password. Now 1P does not work anymore.

Options
hvaneeden
hvaneeden
Community Member

After changing the password in both the bank and 1P, the bank's web site comes back with" doesn't recognize the username/password. I can manually cope and past the information and then it works. That defeats the convenience of 1P though. I have talked with the bank and tried to trouble shoot this, but they don't know and to me it appears to be a 1P problem. The same thing happens on my IOS device.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: forum-search:I cannot sign on to my bank account anymore.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If fill from 1P does not work but copy and paste from 1P does work that can be a symptom of a password that is longer than the character limit imposed (sometimes not obviously) by the bank site. Does Wells Fargo impose a limit on password length?

If that's not the answer to your problem please confirm what browser you're using when you post again.

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@hvaneeden - I'd be worried that the message was a phishing attack. My bank would never send such a message by email. Is it possible you made the change on a site that isn't actually a Wells Fargo site?

• hvaneeden
    hvaneeden
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply.
    I don't know if WF imposes a password length limit. However, when I click on the WF icon inside 1P, the username and password gets filled in. When I then click on login, it throws the 'not recognized' error. Then when I copy the password from the 1P icon in the Safari browser menu bar and copy the password from there and paste it, I am able to sign on. When doing the same from the 1P app I cannot sign on.
    I am using Safari 8.0.7

• hvaneeden
    hvaneeden
    Community Member
    Options

It was not a phishing site. Besides I did not click on their link. Went straight to my links in 1P to sign on.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Besides I did not click on their link. Went straight to my links in 1P to sign on.

Great to hear that. I was concerned, but obviously didn't need to be.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hvaneeden ,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble signing in to your bank. I'm inclined to agree with Stephen. If filling is not working, and copying/pasting is, it sounds suspiciously like the site might have some hidden limits on password length.

Sometimes, a website will have an invisible cap on what can be typed in the password field. If you type in a password that is longer than the acceptable length, you may notice that the final characters that you type are not being logged. Of course, if you are using our strong password generator to generate "super-secure-long-password", you wouldn’t notice that the website is silently ignoring the last few characters, and saving "super-secure-long-pa” instead. When you copy and paste the password in, it works in such a way that the website sees the "super-secure-long-pa” part and can still ignore the excess. Filling with 1Password works a little bit differently though, so you might get an incorrect password warning.

The best solution here is to determine if there are any hidden password restrictions for the site and create a fresh password that fits within those restrictions.

• hvaneeden
    hvaneeden
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply.

I don't understand why it would be different when crying and pasting from the 1P app versus the !P extension in Safari. Interestingly enough the auto fill does not work in either. The manual copy and paste only works in the Safari extension, not in the app.
    I will try to find out is there is a limit.

• hvaneeden
    hvaneeden
    Community Member
    Options

A to long password was the problem. Thanks for your help.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@hvaneeden - I don't know why automatic filling doesn't work when copy and paste does, but I have some personal experience with this, and it does happen. I have a financial site I use frequently that has a maximum password length that they do not disclose to their users. (I have separate unflattering things to say about any site that doesn't disclose to users the limits they place on passwords!)

When I first tried having 1Password generate a new password, everything went fine as far as the site appeared to be concerned. It seemed to accept my newly generated (too) long password, which 1Password dutifully recorded in its full length. As is my usual habit when I change a password, I logged off and returned to the site to let 1Password automatically fill my new credentials, which it seemed to do. But the site returned the message that the password was incorrect.

I next tried copying my credentials into the site from the 1Password login record, and to my surprise, the site accepted it. This all sounds very much like your experience.

I figured this out by inference, although the institution seems completely uninterested in the whole affair and won't tell me anything about what the requirements are. Here is what must be happening. When I generated that too-long password during the change password process on the site, the site recorded only the maximum allowable number of characters, The site only recorded the first 12 characters, but 1Password save the full length password that it had generated. When I returned to have 1Password fill my credentials, apparently the automatically submitted fully length password was accepted by the site at face value and compared with what the site had saved as my password. It rejected my login because the passwords didn't match. I had submitted more than 12 characters, the login page apparently submitted the too-long password, and the site only knew the first 12. And this was true, even though I had let 1Password fill in the change-password fields when I was changing the password to a new secure one.

In my case I started counting the number of black dots recorded in th password field to obscure the password. I found that if I typed in the password manually, the dots stopped increasing in number at 12, even though I could keep typing, and I could still log in successfully, even though I typed in all the characters. If I copied the password out of 1Password and pasted into the password filed, only 12 dots appeared, and the login also worked.

Finally, I reduced the same very same password I had been using by truncating it to the first 12 characters. At that point, 1Password began successfully to login when I had it automatically fill and submit my credentials. I did not change the password on the site, I only shortened it to the first 12 characters in the password I had already generated.

So, the only mystery remaining is why does auto submit get all the characters through the field, when manually typing it or pasting it from the clipboard doesn't submit any more than the first 12 characters. And why did the change-password page record only the first 12 characters when 1Password filled in more? I do not know why this is true, but I am convinced that this is how my financial site is operating. There is something different about how auto submit gets characters into the password field from how pasting the same information does, or even manually typing it. Only the first 12 character are recorded in the latter cases, no matter how many characters are in the clipboard or have been entered manually.

Sorry to go on like this, but it comes up often enough that it is indeed worth taking the possibility seriously. If I were you, I'd count the concealing dots in the password field to find out how many it will accept, create a password of that length, and check to see if it now works.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Oops - Too late. But I'm glad you got it solved.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hvaneeden,

On behalf of the AgileBits team and our dedicated Moderators, you're welcome, and we're happy you found the source of the problem! Hopefully saving the shortened password will allow 1Password to properly fill and submit for you now. We'll be here if you need anything else. Otherwise, have a great rest of your week! :)

This discussion has been closed.