Syncing with Dropbox between Mac and iPhone

Megan
Megan
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Sync issue.

Comments

• dhogan829
    dhogan829
    Community Member

looks like woodruff is a 1 Password Ninja

I'm having issues synching my log id's and passwords between my Mac and iPhone 6.
    I was set up for iCloud synch but changed to Dropbox to see if I could get that to make it sync , didn't work
    I'm assuming by syncing, it will match all my login ID's and passwords on all devices, Mac, iPhone and iPad.
    I have synched multiple times and I notice the total number of log ins don't match. Do I delete iPhone/iPad login's and try again?
    My Mac operating system is IOS 10.10.4 and 1 Password version is 5.3; iPhone operating system is IOS 8.4 and 1 Password is 5.4.3

Any help to a knucklehead flailing away in the wilderness would be appreciated.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dhogan829,

I split your comment into its own discussion, since your solution will likely be different than the original poster's.

Thanks so much for including your version numbers in your original post, that gives us a much better place to start! Now, you mention that you recently switched from iCloud to Dropbox. I'm assuming this means that you'd like us to help you get Dropbox sync working, but if you'd prefer to troubleshoot iCloud we can do that as well - just let me know!

Now, I've got a few basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device
    • Confirm that both your Mac and iOS device are reading from the same file path in Dropbox. (One might be pointing to /Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain, and another to /Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain for example)

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or any of your test entries show up in your database here?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

• dhogan829
    dhogan829
    Community Member

Megan
    you are awesome, but sadly you are on a more formidable Mission Impossible, dealing with me than Tom Cruise does in his latest movie. I did all of the things in the first section except, not sure how to check if Mac and IOS devices are reading from the same path in Dropbox. I did the things in second section. Test Mac shows up on the Mac and Test Phone shows on phone but neither shows on the other. I did check the 1Password.html file and test mac shows up when I look at Dropbox on the iPhone. I tried opening the folder :.ws.agile.1Password.settings and couldn't open on the Mac.

Help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dhogan829 ,

I refuse to believe that this mission is impossible! We'll get through this. ;)

Thanks for working through those steps. It sounds to me like your devices are likely looking at different 'keychains' in Dropbox. We can confirm this very simply.

On your Mac, look in Preferences > Sync (you can find Preferences in the '1Password' menu in the menu bar, or by using the shortcut ⌘,):

On your iOS device, tap on the gear icon to view Settings. Then tap on Sync, and then Dropbox. That screen will show you the current path that your iOS device is syncing to:

Once we're sure that 1Password is just looking in two different places, we'll reset sync. :)

• dhogan829
    dhogan829
    Community Member

both devices are set properly to the same file

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dhogan829 ,

That's a bit of a mystery. If your devices are both syncing to the same file location, then we'll want to do a bit more investigating before simply resetting sync. There might be something else at play here.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Reports in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Reports in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the reports we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• dhogan829
    dhogan829
    Community Member

ok, I ran both Diagnostic reports and it generated e-mails with my issue's ID #

do you need the #?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dhogan829,

Thanks for sending those! It took us a bit, but we've made the connection between your emails and this forum thread. We'll let you continue the conversation with Peri over email, in order to avoid confusion. Thanks!

ref: YXS-66263-791

This discussion has been closed.