1Password doesn't work in Chrome Canary 46[Confirmed, they broke our extension, we're working on it]

bernieo
bernieo
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi, I upgraded to 1Password-4.6.0.584 and it seems that Helper in Chrome won't start and 1Password won't auto-fill. I had no problems with previous version. I've tried the 'Restart 1Password Helper' numerous times and deleted and reinstalled the Chrome Extension.

After, downgrading to 4.6.0.583. I still had the problem, so reinstalled 4.6.0.584 and then rebooted but still have the problem. After pressing the Chrome extension, sometimes I'll get the 'looking for ......" message.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bernieo
    bernieo
    Community Member

I forgot to add that I'm usings Windows 7 (x64).

• Hi @bernieo,

Can you tell us what security program you might have installed? It looks like something's interfering with the communications between 1Password Helper and your browser extension. This tend to be blocked by an anti-malware solution and we've written a list of guides for some of them here: https://support.1password.com/extension-troubleshooting/

Also, can you confirm you have 1Password 4.4.2 extension installed in Chrome?

• bernieo
    bernieo
    Community Member

Hi, I'm using Norton Internet Security (latest ver) and I have the 1Password 4.4.2 extension installed in Chrome v46 x64. I was using the 4.4.3 beta extension but removed it when this problem started.

• I reviewed the extension-troubleshooting and even temporarily disabled the 'code sig verification'.... but it did not help.
    • I tried disabling the Norton smart firewall and auto-protect, but that didn't do anything either.
    • I've uninstalled 1Password-4.6.0.584 and reinstalled 1Password-4.6.0.583 but that didn't help so I installed 1Password-4.6.0.584 again.

When I 'Restart 1Password Helper' the unlocked icon in my tray changes to locked,l but 1Password for Windows is actually still unlocked. When I right-click on the tray icon, I can unlock again with my password, but the Chrome Helper still doesn't open.

I'm quite sure the problem is at my end, but ........

I suppose I could uninstall/reinstall Chrome and 1Password again but don't want to lose my Chrome settings, etc..

Thanks, Bernie

• Hi @bernieo,

I tried disabling the Norton smart firewall and auto-protect, but that didn't do anything either.

Did you check its logs to see if it blocked anything related to 1Password and your browser?

When I 'Restart 1Password Helper' the unlocked icon in my tray changes to locked,l but 1Password for Windows is actually still unlocked.

That's normal, 1Password Helper and the main 1Password program are two separate processes and restarting 1Password Helper will basically restart the Helper process, so it will be locked by default. It doesn't affect the main program as you saw.

I suppose I could uninstall/reinstall Chrome and 1Password again but don't want to lose my Chrome settings, etc..

No need to do that yet. Could you reproduce the problem and email us your diagnostic report, so we can understand what 1Password is seeing. Please use this guide to generate a diagnostic report to email to us and, in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

• bernieo
    bernieo
    Community Member

Per your request, I've sent the 1Password diagnostic report along with my Norton log to support+windows@agilebits.com.

Thank you again.

Bernie

• bernieo
    bernieo
    Community Member

Hi,

Thank you for the email feedback.. My problem was solved by reverting back to the lastest 'stable' version of Chrome (44.0.2403.125).

For anyone reading this, here is AgileBits Support reply to me:

Hi Bernie,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

You are running Chrome Canary. We’ve received a few messages like yours over the past day and have since identified what appears to be an issue with the Canary build of Google Chrome which it appears you currently have installed (the stable version of Google Chrome is currently 44.0.2403.125, Canary is 46.0.2468.0). We’re still attempting to determine 100% if it’s an issue with the extension or within the Canary build of Google Chrome itself as our developers continue to look into the issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bernieo: Thanks for following up! I'm glad that the stable version of Chrome helped. We'll continue to monitor the situation as development progresses to see if there's something we need to do to prepare for future Chrome releases. :)

• Raige29
    Raige29
    Community Member

Bonjour et merci pour cette solution, du coup j'ai également réussi à résoudre mon problème entre 1Password et Google Chrome.

• That's great to hear, thank you for letting us know that the workaround for reverting to the stable version of Chrome works.

• JamieGateau
    JamieGateau
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

For what it's worth, I can confirm the same is true on Canary (46.0.2477.0 canary (64-bit)) on OSX and 1Password 5 Version 5.3.2 (532001). It's been not working for about 2 weeks.

Reverting to Chrome stable works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming! Sometimes it can be difficult running prerelease software since things do break, but it's always good to have a backup plan! ;)

• kuntau
    kuntau
    Community Member

FWIW, Whatsapp web used to be broken on the new Chrome 46 and now they are work.. Just some people have to live on the edge.. resorting to FF ATM which is PITA :angry:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hear you! But as you can imagine 1Password is a bit more complex than messaging (since we have to communicate between the main app and the browser extension). We're on the case. :)

• For those interested, we've written a blog post, explaining the situation in detail:
    Adventures in beta testing, continued: Google Chrome Canary

This discussion has been closed.