So what can I do to use iCloud short of repurchasing 1Password? wifi syncing is inconvenient

Options
MarkH
MarkH
Community Member
edited August 2015 in Mac

Apparently I purchased 1Password directly going back to version 4, and now my only option is wifi syncing or dropbox? Neither are nearly as good as iCloud. I read about your iCloud kit but there was no explanation about what could potentially be done for those of us not buying through the Apple store. Wifi syncing is really inconvenient. Do I need to find another password company like RoboForm?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:So what can I do to use iCloud short of repurchasing 1Password? wifi syncing really sucks

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MarkH,

I hope you don't mind, I've moved your thread from the iOS forum to the Mac forum because this issue is uniquely related to 1Password for Mac.

Dropbox sync is the closest thing to iCloud sync available in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac at this time, and many of us here at AgileBits use Dropbox sync. I find it very convenient: you set it up once on each device, and then it continues to sync automatically over the internet, and stores a copy of your sync data in the cloud.

Which devices are you using 1Password on? Sync options vary slightly between platforms, but Dropbox is the only single sync option that works across all the same platforms as 1Password: Mac, Windows, iOS and Android.

If it's security you're concerned about, we're happy to let you know that 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted by your Master Password, so your 1Password data is just as safe in Dropbox as it is in iCloud.

Dropbox also has the advantage that it can be used to share vaults with friends, family, and co-workers, whereas it's not currently possible to share anything between iCloud accounts.

We'd love to be able to transfer your license to the Mac App Store so that you could use whichever version of 1Password you prefer, but at this point Apple does not offer a way for us to do that.

If you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed here, please share them. We want you to find a sync solution that will work for you! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just to add to what Vee, said I prefer Dropbox myself, since it's a lot more flexible than iCloud. Especially if you need cross-platform support (Windows, Android, etc), or simply wish to be able to sync multiple vaults or share them with others, Dropbox is a requirement. But more importantly, over time I've found that Dropbox is a useful tool for syncing both 1Password and all sorts of other things between devices. Be sure to check out our knowledgebase for more information:

Dropbox Sync

Both iCloud and Wi-Fi Sync are great, but they are a bit limited compared to Dropbox — iCloud because it's a single vault that cannot be shared, and Wi-Fi because it depends entirely on your network setup. Be sure to let us know if you have any questions, and any information you can include about your setup and what you need to accomplish will also help us give better advice. :)

• MarkH
    MarkH
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your quick reply. I have not wanted to consider Dropbox but as long as you are certain it is secure as described above I will give it a try.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MarkH,

Most of the people here at AgileBits use Dropbox and I know for certain that includes Dave & Roustem, the founders of AgileBits. I don't believe he would place his vaults there if he didn't trust it. I don't know if that makes a difference in your view of Dropbox or not but it would sway my opinion.

The choice is entirely yours at the end of the day. Right now though the only option available to an AgileBits Store customer wanting iCloud support would be to purchase the Mac App Store version. I just personally don't see iCloud Sync as being that much better to make it worth while.

• dynamitemarketing
    dynamitemarketing
    Community Member
    Options

Ha, Personally I think this is an absolute joke. Im so pissed that I can't iCloud sync that I feel ripped off. To put this issue in a realistic business approach is simple. Pay for the users download on iTunes. OR refund the cost and let them download it from iTunes. No iTunes sync is Epic. anyone using iCloud to jump,on foreign macs and use there own settings knows how important this is. Dropbox has nothing on it and never will. Im sorry for the blunt comments but this means a lot to your customers and the simple fact that its not supported if you purchase from your site direct or like me updated to that latest version directly is simply not acceptable. For one thing, I think its false advertising as you DO NOT provide iCloud sync in all cases. Sorry for the rant, I do love your software and use it constantly. I by no means mean to insult anyone or de-vale the software. I just need iCloud!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dynamitemarketing,

This has never ceased to be a polarising subject. There isn't much I can say really that Dave Teare hasn't already said in iCloud Changes in the Website Version of 1Password 5 or our support page I do not see the option to sync with iCloud in 1Password for Mac.

You're upset at the loss of iCloud Sync in 1Password 5 which I do understand but I can't agree that Dropbox isn't comparable to iCloud. Dropbox has significantly better cross-platform and even cross-version support over iCloud including on Apple hardware. The new iCloud Drive is supported in Yosemite (ignoring betas for the moment) while Dropbox still supports as far back as Snow Leopard. I don't say that believing I will somehow change your opinion as if I've learnt anything it's people can be incredibly passionate about their cloud service. As both the of the links above will state though, our options were limited and we tried to handle it as best we could while having to remain pragmatic as a business. What I can say for certain is the goal has never been to alienate our users or force them into repaying. If we could redo everything iCloud Sync would never have been added to the AgileBits Store version.

I'm sorry there isn't a better response that I can give.

This discussion has been closed.