1password for business use with multiple employees

Options

Hello,

I've been using 1password for quite a while, as only user. The syncing using Dropbox across multiple devices works as it should.

Now, we're going to hire an extra employee, and this person should also have access to the password database.

The issue: I have more then 500 passwords stored... 80% company wise, 20% private. I'd like to NOT share the private passwords & notes ofcourse.

Is this somehow possible? It would be great if you can open 2 vaults at the same time...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@conversal: Indeed, 1Password for Windows supports only a single vault at a time, so you'd need to switch between them to use multiple vaults. This may be something we can change in the future, but one concern (as in your case) is that we often want (or need) separate vaults to remain truly separate, and be secured separately as well.

Now, 1Password is licensed per-platform, per-user, so in the case of your company you'd need a 1Password for Windows license for each employee who will use it. But you can purchase these at a volume discount through the AgileBits Business Store.

In regard to password sharing, it’s important to remember that, like anything digital, if you give an employee a copy of a Word document, Excel spreadsheet, or vault, or password, you can’t take it back.

If I give you a keyring with copies of all of my keys and then later decide I don’t trust you, I still have to change the locks on the house. There’s no guarantee that I’m getting those keys back, and you could have easily made copies anyway. It’s no different with anything digital that can be copied. And even if in the future we made a way to ‘revoke’ vaults, etc., there’s nothing stopping someone from copying all the data before they lose access.

That’s why it’s best for each person to have their own login credentials. You can revoke those with the email provider, etc. on a case-by-case basis if needed. 1Password just stores this information, it doesn’t manage the accounts. Sharing logins is insecure and risky in a business situation. It’s perhapsless risky with your spouse or partner, but even then things can happen! :unamused:

So while you can certainly share a 1Password vault between employees in your company, it's important to remember that once a secret (like a password) is shared, it cannot be taken back. If there are relatively few items that actually need to be shared, it may be better to simply share individual items instead.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

• conversal
    conversal
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Well, that's the reason I'm looking for a solution here ...

We have 250 websites online, which each a generated password of the backend. It's really not realistic to create multiple logins for each employee.

Important is that we can easily share these passwords. When I update one, the employee also sees the updated password.

This is all possible with 1password, I don't see any problem here.

What is a problem is that also my private info is stored in this vault: financial credentials, google password, private mail passwords, ...

That I don't want to share with my employees. But ofcourse it's not very user friendly if I had to switch everytime between vaults. On a normal working day, i think I use 50 logins, 25% private, 75% work logins. If I have to switch from vault everytime, I would lose too much time...

But for this problem, there's no immediate solution? It would be great if you could open 2 vaults at the same time in 1password, then I can have both open, while my employee only has 1 open...

I think now the only solution is to use another password provider for my private passwords?

Jeroen

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @conversal,

Unfortunately, that's not possible with 1Password, it's meant to silo your data into vaults. We do provide a vault switcher in most areas to speed up the process of the switching but if you're constantly switching all day long, you won't like this. Like Brenty mentioned, we have some plans to improve this but there's nothing immediate for you.

The only thing I can think of is that you can store everything in one vault, put the work-related data in a folder and use that folder to copy items into the shared vaults. In other words, if you make an update, you could just select the item, press Control + C to copy it, switch to the work vault, Control + V to put the updated item in the vault while deleting the older version of the item.

If 1Password doesn't meet your needs, which does make us sad, we do understand and would suggest a different tool to find something that works for your needs. Hopefully, when we have a better solution for you, you'd reconsider us in the future.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@conversal You can export your 20% private Logins to a new, private vault. Then after you delete those 20% private Logins from your public vault, you can then share the public vault (containing the remaining 80% public Logins) with your co-workers. Thanks!

• conversal
    conversal
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch Yes, that's how I fixed this for now. But the downside is while working, every hour I have to switch multiple times from vault. It's quite annoying to do this 20-30 days a day.

It would be great if in a future release, the posibility would be there to unlock 2 vaults at the same time...

Jeroen

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @conversal,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's one of the top design discussions we've been having for a while now. One of the most requested features we get is a unified view, which is an idea we like to consider in the future. Basically, once you unlock the primary vault, you get a single view of all of the items from all of the vaults 1Password has. If you don't want that, you can optionally switch to a secondary vault and only see items from that vauit.

This discussion has been closed.