Password problem (not related to 1PW)

danco
danco
Volunteer Moderator

I hope some Windows users can help me (I am a Mac user) with a password issue that has no connection with 1PW. This seems a good place to ask.

I am administering the estate of a friend who died recently. Her computer is still on Windows XP, and I am almost certain that she got her email through a web browser, probably Firefox though it might be Internet Explorer.

It would be very useful for me to access her email (especially her contact list). I would guess that she had the email password stored on her machine, rather than remembering it and entering it each time.

So can you tell me how I would find it I might, of course, be able to do everything on her machine as the password is stored there (and I do have access to her computer account), but it would suit me much better if I knew the password as I could then work on my own Mac.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@danco: Without knowing for certain if or how the password was stored, it's hard to say (and obviously that's the situation you're in too!)

I'd suspect that the browser might be a good place to start. And keep in mind that if you have access to the email account, you can probably do passwords resets as needed, even if you might not know the password.

And, in Firefox at least, it's relatively easy (unless a Master Password has been set) to view saved password in Options. For Internet Explorer, this is built into the OS, and can be found under Credential Manager.

While there's been some progress in browser security in this area, it's still woefully lacking, so we always recommend disabling the browser's built in password management, as it makes it easy for anyone with access to the computer to gain access to your accounts. But in your case it may be that very insecurity which is helpful.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@danco,

There is a Firefox extension - Password Exporter which can export Firefox password in clear text. Perhaps this will help.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Thanks. That may well help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.