1Password for Windows UI

Options
BelgiumRoland
BelgiumRoland
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm the kind of guy who is 100% dependant on 1Password. I just can't function without it anymore.

So I have bought all the versions for the devices I use: Mac, iOS and my employer's PC at work.

The UI of that Windows version is so different from both iOS and Mac OS. Why on earth is that?

Both the Mac OS and iOS version are intuitive enough to use but I just don't get the Windows UI.

Up to the point that if I need to change anything when I'm at work using Windows, I put it off until I can do it on one of my iOS devices or my Mac at home.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• djwtech
    djwtech
    Community Member
    Options

I actually prefer version 1 of 1Password for Windows instead of the newer version. Especially the browser extension. The mac version is definitely the best, but try out version 1 if you can.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The UI of that Windows version is so different from both iOS and Mac OS. Why on earth is that?

@BelgiumRoland: I'm always fascinated by questions like this, since 1Password 4 for Windows is nearly identical to 1Password 4 for Mac. Mainly, I think this perception is due to OS X having seen a number of yearly releases, with a significant UI redesign in Yosemite, whereas until Windows 10 there hasn't been a big shift on that platform ("Start Screen" notwithstanding).

That said, we'll definitely be making some changes to 1Password for Windows going forward, so I'd love to know if there are specific features or elements you'd like to see added there. The more detailed the feedback, the better! :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I suspect that most of these questions revolve around the Item Edit workflow. Iirc, the Mac version is edit in place but Windows requires that you double click twice, opening 2 different dialogs along the way in order to edit some fields.

• BelgiumRoland
    BelgiumRoland
    Community Member
    Options

@BelgiumRoland: I'm always fascinated by questions like this, since 1Password 4 for Windows is nearly identical to 1Password 4 for Mac.

That's the ticket, then, @brenty I have never used v4 of 1Password on MacOS. Thanks for clearing that up.

I started using 1Password on my iPhone, then the iPad and the Mac with v5. And finally because it was just so frustrating not to have it there, on my work's PC.

So I never got to use v4 on Mac OS.

The chance of having someone like me that uses 1Password on both computer platforms is not small, I think. With the Mac growing double digit ans still a lot of people using PCs at work.

And the licensing of 1Password clearly encourages people to buy a license for both their mac and their PC. Which is just great by the way.

All this to say that the UI on both platforms should be as close as possible, yet keeping the UI style of each platform.

What I'm trying to say here, is that a title bar on Windows should look like a title bar on Windows (if we still can say such a thing exist seeing Win 10) and the same on Mac OS. But inside a window, the controls should be on the same place as much as possible and do the same thing.

My issue with 1Password v4 for Windows is that if I ever have to edit a password, I'm not sure I know what I need to change with all the fields listed for an entry.

On the mac on the other hand, it's quite clear where my password is, and if I need to change it, I click the "Edit" button, make my change and save.

If v4 on Mac OS was really the same as v4 on Windows, you guys did a great job of making things easier on the Mac. Now all you have to do is "the same on Windows".

All this being said, I'm super happy with 1Password. I even use it when I create user accounts at work to generate a random password that would motivate the user to change it at first login :p

• BelgiumRoland
    BelgiumRoland
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne

More that the two step process is the galore of fields in the Windows version that make me wonder which I need to change. On the Mac, the username, password, etc are more clearly labeled so it's quite clear what needs to be changed.

• BelgiumRoland
    BelgiumRoland
    Community Member
    Options

@djwtech , Actually I think I did as I "evaluated" the version prior to v4 on Windows while waiting for v4 to get released. Just don't remember what that version was.

But don't you need v4 to be able to sync the vault between Mac and PC via DropBox?

• @BelgiumRoland - You can sync both 1Password 1 for Windows and 1Password 4 for Windows using Dropbox.

• BelgiumRoland
    BelgiumRoland
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @LauraR there must have been something else then. Or not. Old man memory :-)

• @BelgiumRoland - You might be thinking of 1Password version 3 for iOS - this can no longer use Dropbox to sync.

• BelgiumRoland
    BelgiumRoland
    Community Member
    Options

Could be, @LauraR. It's been a while.

• @BelgiumRoland - In that case, thank you for being such a long term customer - we truly appreciate it :)

• BelgiumRoland
    BelgiumRoland
    Community Member
    Options

I heard a lot about 1Password on various podcast and in MacWorld but it took me while to bite the bullet and buy a copy for my iPhone but today I wonder why I took so long.

I'm thanking YOU for having a good product that makes something unbearable a breeze.

I recommend 1Password to everybody.

• @BelgiumRoland - We REALLY appreciate your kind words and your recommendations.

• djwtech
    djwtech
    Community Member
    Options

I love 1Password. I just don't like the 1Password for Windows 4 Browser extension. Version 1 had a fancy UI, an easy way to search and generate passwords. I just can't adjust to the new extension. Until that's fixed, I'll be staying with version 1. Still works great with Windows 10.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I love 1Password. I just don't like the 1Password for Windows 4 Browser extension. Version 1 had a fancy UI, an easy way to search and generate passwords. I just can't adjust to the new extension. Until that's fixed, I'll be staying with version 1. Still works great with Windows 10.

@djwtech: Thanks for clarifying! Indeed, the UI seems to be pretty polarizing. Some people like the old; some people like the new. Going forward, we'll have to see what we can do to take the advantages of each and make something that's even better than both.

I think we really wanted to get away from the 'fancy' extension UI, especially since it was a bit out of place on Windows (it originated on Mac OS X Snow Leopard). When it was brought to Windows (and even OS X, originally) there were a lot of complaints

All this to say that the UI on both platforms should be as close as possible, yet keeping the UI style of each platform.

@BelgiumRoland: Wow. Thank you! Point taken. While 1Password for Windows may fit in fine on that platform as far as functionality, I appreciate that how it works differs from 1Password for Mac, et al, so that coming from another platform could result in some confusion there. Definitely room for improvement when it comes to consistency.

We really appreciate the feedback and constructive criticism from everyone here. Don't stop letting us know how you'd like us to improve 1Password in the future! :chuffed:

• pking36330
    pking36330
    Community Member
    Options

Is there already a project underway to align the UI between the Windows and Mac versions?

If not, I still own a OSX, iOS and Windows version of another password product and might be forced to switch back to that for the next year of two just because I can't seem to successfully use the 1Password Windows UI on my work computer. The forum of that other product is FULL of users who have switched to it from 1Password because they also cannot figure out (or aren't willing to deal with) the 1Password for Windows UI, and really the only feature they love about that product over 1Password is that the UI is VERY closely aligned between the three (four counting Android) UI displays.

Will the Windows and Mac UI be aligned soon?

• MikeT
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @pking36330,

What is the issue you're having with 1Password on Windows that's causing you to not be able to use it? If we can understand this part, we can improve it in the future.

We do not share our future plans. All we can say for now is that we do plan to simplify the interface on Windows.

For users using Surface Pro and/or certain laptops, they might prefer to use 1Password as simplified but limited Windows 10 Store app that we're working on, it is available at the store as 1Password Alpha.

Note if you're using browser extensions or auto-type, 1Password for Windows Modern app won't work with them.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

the UI on both platforms should be as close as possible, yet keeping the UI style of each platform.

@BelgiumRoland And herein lies the paradox. We cannot have the cake and eat it.

That being said, I believe 1Password 4 for OS X and 1Password 4 for Windows are very identical, while taking into account the little, loved by users, elements of the platform they are running on:

As for changing your password -- you're right; the UX for this process is different in our OS X app (compared to our Windows app) but we really want you to change your passwords in the web browser -- not in the desktop app.

After you change your password in your web browser, 1Password should then detect this change and allow you to update your 1Password data. The UX for this change-password-in-web-browser process is very identical on OS X and Windows.

• BelgiumRoland
    BelgiumRoland
    Community Member
    Options

@BelgiumRoland And herein lies the paradox. We cannot have the cake and eat it.

Seeing the two screen shots from v4 on Mac OS and Windows, it looks like we can, @svondutch. They are indeed quite close.

Given how users are getting multi-platform, I think that you guys will have to find a way to keep the UI in sync between the various OS.

I understand @pking36330 point of view. The difference in UI can be quite hard to swallow. To me the benefit of using 1Password and the confidence I have in the product make it worth the effort.

but we really want you to change your passwords in the web browser -- not in the desktop app.

Well, that is not always an option as I'm using 1Password to manage password from various things at the office that don't even have a web interface.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Given how users are getting multi-platform, I think that you guys will have to find a way to keep the UI in sync between the various OS.

@BelgiumRoland: A delicate balance. If we make them too similar, people complain that the Windows app feels to much like a Mac (and vice versa); similarly, if we make them too platform-integrated, people have trouble going back and forth between devices. :unamused:

To me the benefit of using 1Password and the confidence I have in the product make it worth the effort.

Thank you kindly! Definitely room for improvement, but there is no one-size-fits-all solution. We're not giving up though! ;)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

It is possible we're talking about two different things, UI vs. UX. The interfaces can be identical but the experiences can be radically different. 1Password for Windows and Mac do share identical interfaces in a specific way (The Mac app uses a three column view by default, not the top layout) but the experiences are different. For an example, edit the item on both platforms and you get different experiences such as in-line editing on OS X and separate editor on Windows.

We do have a lot of desire to sync up the experience as we continue to work on matching the overall 1Password experience that people want on all platforms, which is difficult but not impossible and we will strive to make it happen.

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch Could you clarify the process of changing passwords in the web browser as opposed to in the app. Thanks

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@tonydow

Could you clarify the process of changing passwords in the web browser as opposed to in the app. Thanks

Just change the password on the website in question and when you submit the page 1Password should popup an "update login" window.
    See here: https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/
    Note that that article is for Mac and I couldn't see a Windows equivalent but the steps are the same. If it's not ticked by default then you should tick the "Update password only" option if all you're changing is the password.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

@tonydow What @RichardPayne says ^^^

1Password should pick up your password change and then prompt you with this:

Here's another - alternative - workflow you might appreciate:

1. Locate the change password page.
    2. The change password page asks for your current password. 1Password already knows your current password. Click on the 1Password button, right-click on your existing Login item, and click on "Open 1Password". Now copy & paste your current password from 1Password into the change password page.
    3. Switch back to 1Password, and click on "Edit" (the pencil button).
    4. Double-click on your current password
    5. Click on "Generate"
    6. Click on "OK" (3x). This will update the password.
    7. The change password page asks for your new password. Copy and paste your newly generated password from 1Password into the change password page.
    8. Submit the change password page and you're done!
  • JohnnyFJohnsson
    JohnnyFJohnsson
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I have to weigh in on the discussion since I have been a 1Password customer for years. Started using it on Windows, switched to OS X and iOS and now I had to buy a new license for Windows again to have it installed on my work computer in parallel to OS X and iOS. I cannot say the UI is ugly but it has not changed that much over the past years. When I used it a few years back on my Windows machine I was always befuddled how much better it looks and feels on my father's mac. Then I made the switch and loved the new and in my opnion improvement 1Password experience on my Mac. Now using 1Password again on a Windows machine all the little problems are starting to come up again I had back in the days with 1Password for Windows.

For example: The custom field edit options in Mac are so much more intuituive weheras on Windows they are sometimes completely absent. Today I wanted to insert information about my work permit for Trinidad and needed some custom fields for work permit number, authority and valid until information. Windows did not give me an option to enter custom fields in new identity items. So i inserted all the information as notes, switched to the iOS version, entered custom fields for the item and put in the information I needed and deleted my notes. That is far away from offering the same, in my eyes, basic functionality between systems. Even if a UI change is not making so much sense and the different 1Password versions try to adopt the different operating systems' visual style but the functionality and ease of use should be the same of every system. And nothing has be done here for me in the last years.

Having the option to filter passwords older than 1-6 months, one year and 3+ years as in the Mac version is another missing convenience option in the Windows version. The same as that no Software has an icon on display. The list of missing functionality can be continued almost endlessly. That is very dissapointing in my opinion and this comes from a fan of your software for many years but not of the Windows offering.

• @JohnnyFJohnsson,

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback.

There are a couple of sore points in the Windows UI that we're anxious to improve and in some cases fix but that we haven't gotten around to, yet. Like my colleague Mike said earlier in the thread:

We do have a lot of desire to sync up the experience as we continue to work on matching the overall 1Password experience that people want on all platforms, which is difficult but not impossible and we will strive to make it happen.

Thank you for your continued support and please don't hesitate to send us more feedback!

• JohnnyFJohnsson
    JohnnyFJohnsson
    Community Member
    Options

@AlexHoffmann Thanks for your kind response. I think my previous post was a bit harsh. All in all 1Password for Windows is very usable and the negative points mentioned affect (for the most part) just the usability.

• AlexHoffmann
    edited October 2015
    Options

No worries, @JohnnyFJohnsson.

We really appreciate when users take the time to send us feedback.

In my opinion—and these might be my European sensibilities talking ;) —harsh feedback isn't necessarily a bad thing. As long as it's not unreasonable, it only shows that the person giving the feedback cares about the thing they're criticizing.

In that vein: feedback away :)

• Pietro_Aretino
    Pietro_Aretino
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

My two cents here. I used Mac for work, but I'm predominantly a Windows/Linux user. Still waiting around desperately for a Windows Phone version of 1Password, I have accepted deep in my heart that that may never come. However, I continuously await a UI update for the Windows desktop version of 1Password. The Mac version is very sleek. I have nothing against the Windows version of 1Password, it works like a charm, I just find the UI to be bland and lacking taste. However, one thing I do find ineffective in the Windows one, is the fields and buttons when looking at a login in password for example. You have this VAST amount of space on the screen being un-utilized, and these extremely small fields where the password, username etc is, and on the other side of the screen these very small buttons stuck right next to each other for, copy password, reveal password and edit password. I find it a bit silly and (call me super lazy) makes me have to move my mouse drastically to and fro the screen and pinpoint down exactly to the correct field, if I'm trying to copy a password for example onto my clipboard. This on my Windows Tablet exacerbates the problem EVEN MORE. I got sausage fingers, and all the icons and fields being super small and stuck together and simultaneously spread out across the page makes it a bit difficult, doable, but difficult. Same with the looking through a list of logins, everything is very smashed together in the Windows version, the Mac one seems to be a bit more airy, that is, have more space between icons, make them a bit bigger and easier to see. PLEASE UPDATE THE UI. I'd love to have a good looking, sleek Windows version of 1Password launching on my desktop. The Mac one is definitely high-res, same with the icons and everything. Every time I launch 1Password on my Windows computers, its just pixely and low-res looking. Don't know if this is me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My two cents here. I used Mac for work, but I'm predominantly a Windows/Linux user. Still waiting around desperately for a Windows Phone version of 1Password, I have accepted deep in my heart that that may never come.

@Pietro_Aretino: Good news! 1Password for Windows 10 is in beta, and you can get it from the Windows Store now:

1Password for Windows 10 (Windows Store)

However, I continuously await a UI update for the Windows desktop version of 1Password. The Mac version is very sleek. I have nothing against the Windows version of 1Password, it works like a charm, I just find the UI to be bland and lacking taste. However, one thing I do find ineffective in the Windows one, is the fields and buttons when looking at a login in password for example. [...] This on my Windows Tablet exacerbates the problem EVEN MORE. I got sausage fingers, and all the icons and fields being super small and stuck together and simultaneously spread out across the page makes it a bit difficult, doable, but difficult. PLEASE UPDATE THE UI. I'd love to have a good looking, sleek Windows version of 1Password launching on my desktop.

You really should check out 1Password for Windows 10. I think it will scratch a lot of those itches for you. And to be clear, it works on any Windows 10 device — including phones, tablets, and more traditional PCs.

You're dead on with much of your criticism, and we'll also be updating the 1Password for Windows desktop app as well. Though it will likely never be as touch-friendly as the Windows Store app, the user interface is something that will be foremost in our minds as well as we develop future versions. It may take some time, but with your feedback and our determination we'll get there. Thanks for taking the time to give us some constructive criticism, and let us know how you'd like 1Password for Windows improved! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.