Hebrew password with multiple keyboard

beit
beit
Community Member
edited August 2015 in Mac

I use several keyboards on Mac and Iphone (hebrew, english, french etc)
i got Password pro on IOS and my keyword is in hebrew and it's ok to select the keyboard hebrew. to type the keyword
I install Password on OS yosemite and I CAN'T select the hebrew keyboard to type my keyword!!!!!!!

1Password Version: 5/3/2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10/10/4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beit
    beit
    Community Member

it seems that 1password block the changing of keyboard!!!!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @beit,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with 1Password on your Mac! If I understand the problem, it sounds like your master password contains Hebrew characters, and you aren't able to type those characters into 1Password on your Mac because your Mac's keyboard is set to a different language. Is that correct?

If so, can you please elaborate on how you're being blocked from changing the keyboard layout? What steps do you normally take to change that on your Mac, and what happens when you try to do that when using 1Password? If you get any error messages, what do they say? The keyboard layout is a system setting on the Mac and I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to make that change in the System Preferences app. So, if you can describe the exact steps you take and what happens when you do that, it will hopefully help us to understand exactly what you're experiencing on your Mac. Thanks in advance!

• beit
    beit
    Community Member

Thank's for your answer
    1) my master password is in Hebrew and i need to switch from english or french to hebrew to type it
    2) it works well on IOS and not on OS X
    3) To switch from one keyboard to another i use cmd+space or the lateral bar and it goes on all apps
    4) when i open 1 password window and put the cursor in the bar to type my master password on OS X i can't select the other keyboard i need by one of the two above options (i get no error message)
    if you need other details tell me, it such a damage i can't access to 1password on my mac (i tried on mac book air and Imac and i got the same issue)
    Thank's

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @beit,

Thank you for the additional details! I think I understand what you mean, and I'd just like to clarify a couple things:

It sounds like you have the ⌘+Space keyboard shortcut set up to help you change the keyboard layout on your Mac, but you also mentioned using the "lateral bar" to do that. Do you mean the Mac menu bar at the top of the screen? If so, the keyboard/input menu bar icon should show you a list of the languages you've set up to use with your keyboard - when this problem happens, is Hebrew listed there, along with English and French? What happens when you try to select Hebrew from there?

Thanks!

• beit
    beit
    Community Member

The menu bar,at the top of the screen indicates as usual all my keyboards but i can't select hebrew or other keyboard.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @beit,

Thank you very much for the screenshot! I tried adding several languages/input sources on my Mac (including French and Hebrew) and I'm seeing the same thing happen when 1Password is locked. I did some testing with this, and it turns out this is not specific to 1Password. The same thing happens when I select any (or at least most) password field on my Mac. For example, the same thing happens when I need to enter my Mac user password to unlock settings in System Preferences (like in "Security & Privacy" or "Users & Groups") or if I try to delete an app from the Applications folder. It also happens in other apps that ask for a password, when that password field is selected. I also noticed this happens with some other languages, not just Hebrew.

So apparently Mac OS X is preventing certain keyboard inputs from being chosen when a secure input field (i.e. password field) is selected. I'm afraid I couldn't find a specific reason why that happens when I tried a web search, but since this seems to be system-wide behavior, you may want to contact Apple to see if there is a way to change that.

Aside from getting help from Apple, the only other workaround I can think of would be to change your master password from your iOS device, using a keyboard layout/language that will also work on your Mac. To do that, open 1Password on iOS and go to Settings > Security > Change Master Password. You'll need to enter your current master password, then it will ask for your new one (make sure you switch to a different keyboard layout before entering the new one). Once you've verified the new password, it will ask you to change your hint.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that. Since this seems to be controlled by Mac OS X, unfortunately there's not much we can do about that. If you contact Apple about this, I'd be very interested to find out what they say, so please let us know how it turns out. Thanks! :)

• beit
    beit
    Community Member

Ok, apple is apple....
    as i think a password with different characters (hebrew+ french+...) is stronger i found something
    i paste my password in the password field......
    thank's

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you were able to find a workaround. Hopefully this will be a bit more user-friendly in the future, but indeed we're all dependent on Apple when it comes to their OS(es). :)

This discussion has been closed.