Default login for filling when there are multiple logins

Options

I have multiple logins for a particular site. One is a work account that is rarely used, and the other is a personal account that is used all the time. My goal was to have 1Password auto-fill my personal account, rather than manually choose from the two, since that's almost always the account I want to use.

On the work account login, I set "Display" to "never display in browser," while my personal account is set to "always." When I go to the site, and hit the magic 1Password key combo, nothing is auto-submitted, and the 1Password Mini window shows up, but doesn't list any accounts for the site. I have to type to have the Mini window search for the account, then look at the account details, and manually copy each field from there.

Is there a better way to default to using a particular login for automatic filling?

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.2.90
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drewsign,

Unfortunately I'm currently unable to reproduce which is annoying - it's always easier to help if we can reproduce the error :smile:

So what I've test is the same version of 1Password, OS X and the extension although I can't tell what version of Chrome you're running. For the sake of comparison I'm running the stable version.

1. The first thing I'd like you to check for us please is if the two Login items have the exact same URL for the website field. If they don't, does what you experience change at all if you have them match? I'm also assuming they only have a single website field.
    2. If they were already exactly the same or it didn't make a difference can I ask, these two Login items, do they belong to a subdomain of the site and do you have any other Login items for either the domain or other subdomains? You may be quite knowledgable when it comes to this sort of thing but just in case you aren't then accounts.google.com would be a subdomain of google.com. Basically, ignoring what we call the TLD part, .com, .org etc., if the name uses a period like accounts.google does then the first part is the subdomain.

At the moment I'm just trying to see if we can narrow down the cause to see if I can reproduce. If we have a bug then we'll definitely want to correct this but I'll need to be able to show the developers where the fault lies to do so.

Worst case scenario, if 1Password mini shows you more than one Login item it always has the top one selected so the enter key would select it. Assuming both Login items have identical website fields then the ordering is alphabetically based on title. That means you could either alter the title of the personal one so it's always favoured or use favourites to Mark the personal item as a favourite. Both of these would lead to it being at the top of the list so that ⌘\ followed by enter always selects the one you want. This is obviously not ideal and we will work with you to figure out why hiding the work Login item isn't resulting in the correct behaviour.

• drewsign
    drewsign
    Community Member
    Options

I did indeed have slightly different URLs for both logins. It looks like the login page moved from a subdirectory to a subdomain between when I added the (older) personal account and the work account. Switching both to a common URL resulted in exactly the behavio(u)r I wanted. With the work account set to "never display in browser," my personal account is automatically entered.

Thanks for your help!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news @drewsign :smile:

Those URLs can be tricky little devils (PC friendly version of the thought :tongue: ) so I'm glad we've discovered the cause. If you have any other queries at all please do drop us a post and we'll see what we can do :smile:

This discussion has been closed.