Browser extension in Chrome very slow to unlock

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

Starting two days ago, when unlocking 1Password in the Chrome browser extension, when I type in the password, the dot for each character takes 5 - 10 seconds to display. That is, each dot takes that long. Once 1P is unlocked, response is normal. Just the unlocking is slow.

In the main application, the delay does not occur, just the Chrome browser extension.

Is this a new feature?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

And I restarted Chrome several times. That does not fix it.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Chrome 44.0.2403
    1Password 5.3.2

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9,

Nope, that delay during Master Password entry in 1Password mini (via the extension in Chrome) is not a new feature. You should be able to type it as fast as possible there without noticing any obvious delay. :)

Please give this a try:

• Quit Chrome.
    • In the main 1Password app, select Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini from the menu, then quit the app if you'd like (without unlocking).
    • Reopen Chrome, open 1Password mini through the 1Password extension, and enter your Master Password to unlock.

If Master Password entry is still sluggish after that, please fully restart your Mac and see if that speeds things up again. If not, we can dig deeper to find out what's causing the delay and get it fixed. Thanks!

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

That did the trick! Thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @jasimon9. Was restarting 1Password mini (and Chrome) what worked? More convenient than a system restart, but ideally neither would be necessary. Please let us know if the sluggish Master Password entry returns and we can do some specific troubleshooting. Thanks!

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the steps you gave were what I did and that was what worked -- restarting 1P mini via menu in main app (and Chrome). If the issue returns, I will repost.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying what actually did the trick. :)

• TechDaddyK
    TechDaddyK
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, this solved my similar problem as well. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @TechDaddyK. We appreciate you taking time to join and mention how this helped solve your problem! :+1::chuffed:

• magny
    magny
    Community Member
    Options

I experience this as well starting a week or so ago. very very annoying. The problem comes back after a while, and every time you need a password in the chrome extension its slow. I have a setup where I use the same keyfile from inside a virtual machine and on the host (osx on the host and windows on the guest). Both of the systems have the same problems with the chrome mini extension.

• Hi @magny,

I agree that this is extremely annoying. We're working on it. So far every theory we've had about what's causing this has been proven wrong. It seems like a super easy thing to fix, and yet it's had us scratching our heads for weeks now. We'll get it, it'll just take time. Until then the only workaround we have is to restart mini.

Rick

• tpv0rtex
    tpv0rtex
    Community Member
    Options

Restarting mini fixed a similar problem for me. (Mac, Chrome)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

At least we have the workaround for now. Obviously it will be much better once we've got the actual issue resolved.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad that helped. We're here if you need anything else! :)

• aaron_young
    aaron_young
    Community Member
    Options

Just noting I had the same issue, and the above workaround helped. While I was seeing the browser plug-in hanging (when trying to unlock it), it showed up with high CPU utilization and occasionally not responding in Activity Monitor.

Chrome/Mac Version 50.0.2661.94 (64-bit)
    1Password Version 6.0.1 (601004) – Mac App Store

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aaron_young thanks for letting us know! It's good to have as much information as possible while we try to figure everything out.

• jeremykendall
    jeremykendall
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Restarting 1Password mini and restarting Chrome did the trick for me.

Environment:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
    OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
    Chrome: 50.0.2661.102 (64-bit)
    Extension: 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.5.6.90
    1Password: 1Password 6 Version 6.2.1 (621002)

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jeremykendall :+1: :)

• townsat
    townsat
    Community Member
    Options

Restarting 1password mini did the trick for me, but it was back to being unbearably slow in a week or so. Clearly something's not working here.

• townsat
    townsat
    Community Member
    Options

Glad you're working on it. Love 1Password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @townsat,

We just released an update for version 6.3 today, which includes a fix for this. Please make sure you install the latest update for 1Password for Mac, and that should solve this issue for you. If you have questions about that or run into more problems, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

• townsat
    townsat
    Community Member
    Options

Just downloaded it. Thank you!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! That update should take care of the problem, but if for some reason it comes back, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.