Enter secret code??

jmbell
jmbell
Community Member
iPad iPassword Pro and Dropbox problem
iPassword for iPad/iPhone running on iPad. Went into Dropbox and double-clicked on completed iP data file from iMac. Said it wouldn't load. Read troubleshooting; nothing has helped.

Opened iP, and clicked on use existing file. I get "Sync with your Mac over WiFi 1.Open 1P on your Mac. 2.Enter these Secret Codes (with two listed)." Or, an option to "cancel"

What the heck does all this mean? Secret codes?

If something is corrupted, do I just delete the iP data file from the iMac's Dropbox and do that function again?

Jo Ann

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Hello Jo Ann,

I'm sorry you are having some trouble. It sounds like you are attempting to set up Dropbox syncing. Is that correct? The codes are only required for the older, manual method of syncing via Wi-Fi, so you can ignore them if you are going to be using the newer, automatic Dropbox syncing method. :-)

If you already have Dropbox and 1Password installed on your Mac, you can just click the "Move to Dropbox" button in 1Password's preferences on your Mac and then flip the Dropbox switch within the 1Password app on your iPad. The Dropbox iPad app is not used for syncing 1Password data. All the sync code is contained in the 1Password app on your iPad.

If you are still having trouble, could you please tell me what path is listed in 1Password's preferences on your Mac where it says "Data File"? For example, mine is:

Users > khad > Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain

Here is a screen shot of the General pane in 1Password's preferences on my Mac where I found this information:

20110430-pg5mjaw256fdik47uj9aydr833.png

If your data file is already in your Dropbox folder (as shown on your Mac as mine is above), you can open the 1Password app on your iPad and then tap Settings in the sidebar on the left, then tap Sync, then switch Dropbox syncing ON.

You will then be prompted for your Dropbox credentials, and once you enter them, 1Password will begin syncing. :-)

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • jmbell
    jmbell
    Community Member
    When I go to "move to Dropbox" button in 1P's preferences on my Mac, it is greyed out... so I'm assuming it has already been moved -- as the path is:"users > admin > Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain (and it shows up in Dropbox).

When I open 1P on my iPad, the only option I have is to either set up a new database or sync existing. I'm not seeing where I can "flip the Dropbox switch within the 1P app on my iPad. **What am I missing here?**

Also, on iPad, the app is called just "iPassword." However, in iTunes it is listed as "iP Pro" -- is that just something that happens when downloaded to the iPad. It's the same app, or...?
  • jmbell
    jmbell
    Community Member
    Oops. Meant to put the path in "" but I just put one at the beginning.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for following up Jo Ann,

Oops. Meant to put the path in "" but I just put one at the beginning.

No worries. You provided exactly what I needed to know. :-)

It looks like everything is set up properly on your Mac, now we just need to set up the iOS devices.

When I open 1P on my iPad, the only option I have is to either set up a new database or sync existing. I'm not seeing where I can "flip the Dropbox switch within the 1P app on my iPad. **What am I missing here?**

Sorry for the confusion here. We are planning on updating the app, but right now only Wi-Fi syncing is supported from the Welcome screen. To set up Dropbox syncing, please tap "New Database."

Once you have created a master password for 1Password on your iPad (which can be different from your Mac if you choose), please go to Settings > Sync > Dropbox to set up Dropbox syncing.

Also, on iPad, the app is called just "iPassword." However, in iTunes it is listed as "iP Pro" -- is that just something that happens when downloaded to the iPad. It's the same app, or...?

1Password Pro is the full name of the app, but the space is limited on iOS home screens so it is simply listed as 1Password. (I think Apple may come knocking if we ever call it iPassword, though.) ;-)

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers,
  • jmbell
    jmbell
    Community Member
    Perfecto! It worked. Thanks for the additional instructions. It will help in setting up my iPhone. :)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I am so glad to hear it! :-)

If you have any other speed bumps, please let me know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.