saved logins fail in Mac Safari and work perfectly in 1password's iOS browser

Options

I have two saved logins that fail in Mac's Safari app (the saved login fills in the id/password then blanks out the id box, I have to reenter id.) The same saved logins work perfectly in 1password's browser. Am I doing something wrong?

1Password Version: version 5.3 mac app store
Extension Version: Safari ext 4.4.2
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tvillemw: I'm a little bit confused about the issue you're describing, since you seem to alternately refer to the Mac and iOS versions of 1Password. Just to clarify, 1Password for Mac does not have its own browser, whereas 1Password for iOS does (1Browser is built in).

Please tell me the OS and 1Password versions you're using on all devices, and the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action. The more information you can give, the better. For example, the URLs for the sites you're having trouble with. Thanks in advance! :)

• tvillemw
    tvillemw
    Community Member
    Options

Version numbers:

included the version numbers in the original post.

The two URLs (feels creepy supplying this information in a public forum):

https://login.fidelity.com/ftgw/Fidelity/RtlCust/Login/Init?AuthRedUrl=https://accounts.fidelity.com/ftgw/fbc/ofsummary/defaultPage
    https://mycw14.eclinicalweb.com/portal2446/jsp/100mp/login.jsp

Problem:

Safari extension on Mac: saved login fills in id and password boxes correctly, blanks out id box and stops. I re-enter my id, press Login button, and successfully get into system.

1password browser in iOS app on iPad: same saved login fills in id and password boxes, and successfully takes me into system as expected.

The Safari extension on the Mac is clearly doing something wrong with these two logins by blanking at the id box and making me reenter the id and press Login button. The same saved login works perfectly in 1password's browser on iOS. I never used the iPad for banking and health until a recent trip when I needed to contact my doctor. I was surprised that the iOS version worked better.

Hope this helps.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tvillemw,

As you can imagine, supplying the URLs allows us to go poke and prod the site with experienced eyes as well as the ability to do debugging for better logging so we are grateful that you posted them. Of course the sites in question may sometimes be sensitive for a variety of reasons and if you are ever uncomfortable posting them in a public forums just say and we can continue the conversation somewhere slightly more private - much depends on the site and the comfort level of the person in question.

Anyway, back to your issue. I looked at the second site to start with and I started by saving a Login item by following our How to manually save a Login guide. A Login item created this way on both an iPad and OS X look identical if you're running 5.3 for Mac and 5.4 for iOS. You're correct, I found filling on the iPad seemed to be more reassuring but what I found on the Mac was that the username successfully filled and while it didn't look like the password had filled, comparing POST data for a manually filled form and one filled by 1Password suggests that if I had a real login item that it should work.

So I wonder if you could try creating a new Login item for me please on your Mac using our How to manually save a Login guide. It filled in the username, which was the issue you mentioned and as I say, even though it doesn't look like the password fills I strongly believe it has and that the correct password is being sent. Then you will want to confirm that it all works properly on the iPad too but again, I strongly believe it should.

If it works for the second site, it might be worth trying the same trick for the first (which I haven't looked at just yet - sorry). Please let us know if there is any improvement at all and if not we'll continue the investigation.

• tvillemw
    tvillemw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your assistance.

'Manually saving a login' fixed the first url (fidelity.com). Now the login works on the mac. It fills in the id/password fields and activates the login button.

With the second url (eclinicalweb.com) there is still a minor problem. The new login fills in the fields but I still have to press the login button. Whereas the old saved login made it look like the id field was blanked out, the new version makes it look like the password field is blank. In both cases the saved logins send a return to one of the fields (which leaves a blank line in the visible portion of the box) instead of sending a return to the form, which would activate the login button. I can live with having to click the login button.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tvillemw,

I don't have an explanation for the second URL I'm afraid. I'm glad to hear the Login does allow you to log in though as that was my primary goal. Why it has this odd behaviour I don't know as the site seems to be pretty normal looking from what I can see. Maybe we need to just tweak the compatibility or maybe they have some odd JavaScript hiding in the background that I wasn't fully aware of. At least we've found a workable solution for now though :smile:

This discussion has been closed.