1PasswordAnywhere does not work with Firefox [Issue was the use of umlauts in the master password]

Options
zimon
zimon
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

I am not able to open my 1Password.html (which is in my local Dropbox folder) with Firefox. I tried this on Windows 7 and Mac Yosemite with different 1Password Vaults on different Dropbox. The error is the same.

First this popup opens and then after I entered the password another error message occured.

It works with Safari on Mac.

regards.

Simon

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi Simon,

This problem is being caused by local file restrictions in Firefox when trying to access 1PasswordAnywhere from a local storage device.
    The linked knowledge base article explains this in detail.

I hope this helps.

• zimon
    zimon
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the reply.
    However I have also no luck open the 1Password.html from the dropbox website.
    When I try to do that, I got the error response that my password is wrong, I tried it several times, it never worked with the 1passWord.html from the dropbox website but it always worked with the 1password app.
    I also double checked that 1password is using the same vault (also that I have only one)
    I also tried to type my masterpassword in openoffice and copy/pasted it in the password field -> result: it works for the app but not for the 1password.html via dropbox website.
    Any ideas!?

• @zimon can you try the following -

• Run 1Password on Windows PC.
    • Select File > Repair 1Password Vault.

Then try opening the 1Password vault on the Dropbox website. Please let us know if this helps.

• zimon
    zimon
    Community Member
    Options

I also tried that and I got the response that the Vault is ok, and not damaged.
    When I try to enter the password (via the dropbox website) it looks like that after a specific amount of letters it does not add anymore.
    So that basically the password length is limited and my masterpassword is longer that this limitation if that makes sense.

• @zimon - How long is your master password?

• zimon
    zimon
    Community Member
    Options

only 19

• @zimon - 19 characters should not be a problem. I just tested with a 30 character master password and it was fine. I think the contents of your password might be the problem. For the best compatibility, we recommend only using standard characters in your Master Password and special characters may be the culprit. The most reliable Master Passwords use standard ASCII characters. We have a great guide as to what characters are best to use here. Please let us know if this helps.

• zimon
    zimon
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the late reply but I fixed the issue thanks to your hint to the guide. There were some mutated vowels in the password (ü,ä).
    Leaving those out fixed the problem

• MikeT
    edited August 2015
    Options

That's great, thanks for following up to let us know. We're glad you got it working.

I believe the name for these vowels is umlaut.

This discussion has been closed.