Feature request: Unlock Mac 1Password with Apple Watch

Options
albatr0ss
albatr0ss
Community Member

I'd like to suggest adding unlocking 1Password vault through the Apple Watch (maybe a glance?). You could use the Apple Watch to pair with the Mac and use it to unlock the vault instead of needing to type the password.

I'm doing right now something like this with MacID (http://macid.co/) to unlock the password screensaver of the Macbook. Would be awesome if you add this feature because it would speed up activity avoiding to type really long passwords (at least mine is ;-)

Thank you.

Tony

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @albatr0ss! Thanks for the feature request! While I can't promise we'll implement an unlock service via a paired Apple Watch, we will take a look at the feasibility and security risks/benefits of such a thing.

• albatr0ss
    albatr0ss
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @chrisdj

• You're welcome!

• T_Will
    T_Will
    Community Member
    Options

I agree, that would be very cool!

• Thanks for the vote, @T_Will!

• Dragon
    Dragon
    Community Member
    Options

Assuming it could be done securely, I'd like this too.

• Thanks @Dragon for adding your vote!

• albatr0ss
    albatr0ss
    Community Member
    Options

As for security concerns I think they can be afforded by using Apple's watch unlock PIN to encrypt communication or, even better, by setting a (long random) shared secret both on OS X and iOS application.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! There are many things we'd like to do on Apple Watch in the future! :)

• Furzul
    Furzul
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, if you were able to pair your Apple watch with your Mac, you would not be able to pair the watch with your iPhone. Only one pairing at a time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Unfortunately, if you were able to pair your Apple watch with your Mac, you would not be able to pair the watch with your iPhone. Only one pairing at a time.

@Furzul: Indeed! Fortunately Apple has some other great technologies such as Continuity/Handoff which don't require exclusive pairing. Hopefully we'll be able to do something like this in the future! :)

• albatr0ss
    albatr0ss
    Community Member
    Options

Excited to read this!

Thanks @Furzul

• Hi @albatr0ss! While I am excited that you are excited, I wouldn't get so excited as to count on this actually becoming a released feature. While it is a terrific idea and there are some apps that allow similar behaviors (Knock to Unlock and MacID come to mind), this is definitely something where we'd have to analyze the security of such a feature and feasibility for 1Password.

So, while it is an exciting idea, please keep in mind that it is thus far an idea, not a commitment from a development standpoint.

• albatr0ss
    albatr0ss
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, @chrisdj I understand that nobody has committed that this will become a released feature.

I really appreciate that you value more over security implementations than features!

Keep up with the excellent work you are doing

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I really appreciate that you value more over security implementations than features!

Keep up with the excellent work you are doing

Thanks for your patience and support! We try to do what's best for you and the rest of our awesome customers long-term, even if that means some sacrifice (or waiting) in the short. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.