if I share a vault can my primary value still be synced over icloud?

madsteer
madsteer
Community Member

From everything I've read, it appears that I have sync a shared vault over either dropbox or the shared folder mechanism: specifically, I can't sync a shared vault over iCloud?

Assuming, I'm correct on that, I have a followup question: Can I continue to sync my primary vault to my Mac/iOS devices over iCloud, or if I have a shared vault, I have to sync all my vaults over the same (not iCloud) mechanism? Perhaps I can put a shared vault in a shared folder on my iMac (that we all have access too from our separate Mac accounts) and then we continue to sync our respective primary accounts over iCloud to our various Mac/iOS devices?

Thanks,

1Password Version: latest versions
Extension Version: latest version I assume
OS Version: Latest Yosemite/ios
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: ug:mac/share-a-vault, ug:mac/sync-folder, kb:choose-sharing, kb:share-vault

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @madsteer,

specifically, I can't sync a shared vault over iCloud?

You're correct. At this time, iCloud is not set up to allow sharing. There is no way for you to single out the bundle of 1Password data inside iCloud and share that with another iCloud user.

Can I continue to sync my primary vault to my Mac/iOS devices over iCloud, or if I have a shared vault, I have to sync all my vaults over the same (not iCloud) mechanism?

Each vault has separate sync settings, so you're welcome to sync your primary vault via iCloud and secondary vaults via Dropbox. Personally, I like having everything in Dropbox (just simplifies things for me) but using the same sync solution for each vault is certainly not a requirement.

I hope this answers your questions, but we're here if you have any further concerns!

• madsteer
    madsteer
    Community Member

It did. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @madsteer,

I'm so glad we got that sorted out! Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with. :)

This discussion has been closed.