How to delete primary vault and create a new one

Options
VinZ
VinZ
Community Member

Hi,

I'm quite new with 1Password (downloaded yesterday) on Mac 10.10.4 and I have one BIG problem that I couldn't solve:

I have created for the first time a vault with a terrible master key which I forgot. I've put some information in this vault but nothing really important. So I want to start from scratch again. But I can't find a way to delete the vault the delete button is greyed and same problem to create a new vault the line in the menu is greyed.
And I've seen in the forum a recipe to have get rid of the grey line for the new vault button by clicking on ctrl etc.. but it didn't work.

If you can help me, I will really appreciate.

Best regards from France,
VinZ

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.10.4
Sync Type: Icloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Have a look at this knowledge base article:

How do I start over with an empty vault?

As you're using iCloud to sync your 1P data you may find this one helpful too:

How to reset iCloud data and start fresh

Although you said there was nothing really important in 1P if you do want to save anything you could export the selected items as a 1pif file and then re-import them once you have started over. If you do that note that it's important securely to delete the 1pif file after you've imported as the file is not encrypted.

Stephen

• VinZ
    VinZ
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VinZ,

I'm glad Stephen was able to help you out with that! Hopefully you're all set, but if you have trouble starting over with a new vault or have any questions about that, please let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

• fernanda_vaz
    fernanda_vaz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! I don't know why my vaults weren't syncing. I was using them on all my gadgets but my main mac (the one I used the most) wasn't updating the others (but the files on dropbox were updating normally, but my mac had 202 logins and the others 170). So I wanted to start fresh but I can't seem to find a way to do it. I tried deleting my dropbox files (I exported my passwords before). How can I create a brand new primary vault? I'm trying to do it in a mac and ipad, nothing works. I tried to uninstall and install again. Didn't work. I did all the syncing tests, it was all perfect. How can I do it using dropbox?

• Hi @fernanda_vaz ,

Uninstalling and reinstalling on your Mac will only replace the app, not your data. Have you tried Stephen_C's instructions above? The first link he mentions will show you how to start over.

If you have any questions regarding that or need further assistance, please let us know.

Regards,
    Kevin

• fernanda_vaz
    fernanda_vaz
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, @ag_kevin ! but the problem is that I can't make it share the info on dropbox.
    When I say the vault should be on dropbox I get this folder selection and nothing happens. I don't have the folder anymore. :/
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53339714/Screen%20Shot%202016-03-01%20at%2011.43.29.png

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fernanda_vaz,

Do you click the "Choose" and navigate to the location of your Dropbox folder on your computer? You'll need to locate the Dropbox folder and select the OPVault/AgileKeychain file in order to connect syncing to an existing file.

If you removed the AgileKeychain/OPVault folder you need only select the Dropbox folder on your computer in order to set up a new OPVault/AgileKeychain in a new location.

Hope this helps.

• fernanda_vaz
    fernanda_vaz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @nathanvf it didn't work while on my mac but when I created a new vault with the ipad, it created the new file. In my mac the "continue" was never available, it kept asking me the folder and I created several and could only click cancel. But not to worry, I managed to solve it with my ipad. Thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm happy to hear you were able to solve the problem! Thanks for following up to let us know how it all worked out.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. We're always glad to help! :)

• lanino
    lanino
    Community Member
    Options

How do I reset to start over in version 6.2.1 ... The user was on a trial now she doesn't not know the password we tried to start over deleting the files on the post above. deleting the app an install it again but the new vault option still gray out

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lanino,

Please use the instructions here to start over with 1Password 6 for Mac:

Starting Over

This discussion has been closed.