1Password 3 extension issue with Firefox 40.0 [resolved by upgrading to version 5 and new extension]

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
edited August 2015 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1P is not working in Yosemite with Firefox 40.0.

Comments

• PizzleFazzle4
    PizzleFazzle4
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I am a longtime user of 1P who has used version 3.x . I updated to Yosemite this past weekend and all was fine until yesterday, when Firefox seemed to have an anyeurism, it's icon became a generic applications icon. So I reinstalled the latest Firefox 40, available on the main site where one downloads Firefox (in other words it doesn't say "Stable version", but I'm imagining that is the only version they'd make available for download there.

But when reinstalling extensions, my 1PW extension would not appear. As much as I try, 1Password extension doesnt work or appear as an icon.

I researched to find that I was not alone in this phenomenon, the key icon disappeared never to return.

So I saw that 1PW 5 is for Yosemite. Great, I bought it, figuring this would solve my missing 1PW Firefox extension icon issue. Nope.

I've tried installing and restarting 3 x with no cigar. 1Password does not show up in the available extensions when I try to customize the toolbar (to drag it a theoretical 1PW icon from the left side to the right in Firefox), despite prompts that say the install was successful. Now I'm starting to feel I misspent $24.99 as 1PW 5 doesn't want to show up in Firefox either.

HELP! What am I doing wrong? Am I SOL? Appreciate any guidance on getting 1PW to work, old version 3 (which was fine) or version 5.

Thanks

• PizzleFazzle4
    PizzleFazzle4
    Community Member
    Options

I found it! The install of extensions was from the 1Password Menu> Install extension. phewww.

Would that have worked on my version 3 even if I had not spent $24.99 on version 5?

• billpeet
    billpeet
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I'm having the exact same issue. Updated to Mac Firefox 40.0, and my 1Password add-on icon disappeared from Firefox. I re-installed the add-on, but it still won't show up. Firefox's add-on manager has a caution notice on the 1Password add-on stating "1Password could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution."

Please help!

1password version: 3.8.21
    1password add-on Extension: 3.9.20

• billpeet
    billpeet
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I chose to bite the bullet and upgrade to 1Password 5. I figure 3 wasn't going to be compatible with future Firefox versions anyway. So...it's working fine now, $25 later.

• Runesfar
    Runesfar
    Community Member
    Options

The same as the thread opener Ashiado - I´m using:

OSX 10.9.5
    Firefox 40.0
    1P Version 3.8.22 (build 32010)
    1P Broweser Extension 3.9.20

Btw: Upgrading to 1P V5 will cause the message: "

Oops! We could not locate an upgradable license using the license code ........................ Please check the license code and try again. If you're having trouble with a license that you think should be upgradable, please contact us.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PizzleFazzle4,

I'm sorry you were having trouble with the 1Password extension in Firefox 40.0, but glad that you were able to solve that! This is actually different than the problem from the previous discussion, so I moved your messages to this new thread to avoid confusion.

Originally, the problem you were having was that the 1Password 3 extension no longer works starting in Firefox 40.0. We have more information about that here: 1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later

As you can see in that article, there are a few options - but since your Mac is running Yosemite now, I think upgrading to 1Password 5 was the best solution for you since 1Password 3 is an older version that is no longer being updated (and hasn't been for some time now). The issue you ran into at that point was simply that you needed to install the newer version of the 1Password extension which is compatible with 1Password 5.

I hope you enjoy 1Password 5! If you have any questions about that or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @billpeet,

The problem you were having with the 1Password 3 extension in Firefox 40.0 is different than the problem from the other thread (which was about a warning that appears when using 1Password 5 and the newer extension in Firefox 40.0) so I merged your posts with this other discussion to avoid confusion.

I'm sorry you ran into this problem! However, I'm happy to hear you've upgraded to 1Password 5 and that it's working now. You can find more information about the issue you were having in my reply to PizzleFazzle4 above. If you have any questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know. And I hope you'll enjoy 1Password 5! :)

• photodoc
    photodoc
    Community Member
    Options

1password stopped showing up in Firefox. Downloaded new version of firefox. no luck. please help

1Password Version: Version 3.8.22 (build 32010)
    Extension Version: 3.9.2
    OS Version: 10.7.5
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:1password stopped showing up in Firefox. Downloaded new version of firefox. no luck. please help

• photodoc
    photodoc
    Community Member
    Options

1password stopped showing up in Firefox. Downloaded new version of firefox. no luck. please help

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Runesfar,

Like the others in this thread, I moved your message here from the previous discussion where you posted it since you're having a different problem (which coincidentally is also related to Firefox 40.0). The problem you're having is that Firefox 40.0 includes some changes that break compatibility with the 1Password 3 extension. Please see this this knowledgebase article for more details about that, as well as a few options to get back up and running: 1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later

As you can see in earlier posts in this thread, others have solved this by upgrading to 1Password 5 (and installing the new extension). The knowledgebase article (above) will explain a couple other options as well. I couldn't find your license info in our system so I don't know if you already have a version 5 license or not, but you can check that by having your license info resent to you from the "I've lost my license" section of this site. If you decide to upgrade to (or if you already have) a 1Password 5 for Mac license, you'll be able to use that with 1Password 4 for Mac on Mac OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks) if you don't want to upgrade your Mac to Yosemite.

I hope this helps, but we're here for you if you have more questions about that!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@photodoc I have merged your post with an existing thread dealing with the same issue. I think you'll find the AgileBits contribution here helpful.

Stephen

• Runesfar
    Runesfar
    Community Member
    Options

@ Drew_AG,

Hi and thanks. I´ve send the licence number and registered name to support@agilebits.com for an upgrade price to 1PW Version 4. In tne meantime I work with the test version of 1PW V4.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @photodoc,

I'm sorry for the confusion about this! You can take a look at my earlier replies in this thread for information, although we've also put together a comprehensive support article for this issue here:

1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later

Since you are using Mac OS X 10.7.5, you won't be able to upgrade to 1Password 4 or 5, but the above article will explain your other options. Please let us know if you have any questions about that! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Runesfar,

I took a quick look in our system, but I didn't find an email from the address from your forum account. Did you send it from a different email address? If so, no problem - I just wanted to make sure we received it. You should have received an automated response from the BitBot assistant, and if so, please feel free to let us know the ticket ID from that email so we can track your email down and make sure it gets answered quickly. Thanks!

• Runesfar
    Runesfar
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG: ticket ID: [#TFZ-97723-746]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Runesfar: Thanks! I see that we've been in concert via email, so we can continue the conversation there. Cheers! :)

ref: TFZ-97723-746

• jojohnston
    jojohnston
    Community Member
    Options

My problem i trying to update to 1Password 5 is that I cannot follow the delete extensions instructions for Firefox because the icons are no longer there to use. So I keep getting the instruction that I should do that before upgrading. I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.4, Firefox 40.0 and 1Password 3.8.22. Suggestions? 1Password is of no use to me if I can't get this to work.

• web1305
    web1305
    Community Member
    Options

I wish I could provide more detail. It just stopped working. I don't even know what that little dialog box is called so I can't loop up anything online for others that seem to have had the problem.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.10.4
    Sync Type: huh???
    Referrer: forum-search:Today my Firefox browser on my Mac no longer allows me to press Comman \ and get 1Password. Help

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@web1305 I have merged your post into a thread which already exists discussing the same issue. Please refer to this knowledge base article:

1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later

Stephen

• MarkBramhall
    MarkBramhall
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem--complicated by the fact that I haven't updated 1P for a very long time, because it always causes trouble when I do, and I'm afraid of losing data. I'm running Firefox 40 and I'm still on 1P 3.9.20. I now see on this site that this version is incompatible with FF40, so I'll need to upgrade and THEN deal with the problem of the add-on in FF. Fearful of this step. Please instruct me how to do this cleanly, without loss of data.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jojohnston,

As you're posting in the Mac section of our forums the following should work for you. Now I'm assuming your request for help is about deleting the old 1Password 3 Firefox Extension. The keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘A will open the about:add ons page in Firefox. In there, click on the Extensions entry in the list on the left hand side and you will have the option to delete the 1Password 3 Firefox Extension from Firefox.

If I've misunderstood at all please do let us know and we'll work with you to fix the actual issue at hand. Hopefully though this will get you back on track.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @web1305,

Please do let us know if the link Stephen_C posted helped at all. If you have any follow up questions do please ask.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MarkBramhall,

Since you're currently using 1Password 3, I've moved your message from the previous thread (which was about Firefox 40, extension signing, and the extension for 1Password 5) to this discussion (which is more about the problem with Firefox 40 and the 1Password 3 extension, and upgrading to 1Password 5) as it seemed like a better match. I hope you don't mind!

So, I'd first just like to make sure you've seen this knowledgebase article about the problem you're running into with Firefox 40 and the extension for 1Password 3: 1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later

That article explains a few different options. If your Mac is running OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), then I think the best option for you will be to upgrade to 1Password 5. It should actually be a very easy process, and you definitely shouldn't lose any data. We have steps to upgrade here: How do I upgrade 1Password for Mac from version 3?

I don't think you'll have any trouble with that, but if you do, or if you have any questions about it, we'll be happy to help you out. Assuming the upgrade goes well, Firefox 40 will give an alert about the newer 1Password extension that is used with 1Password 5, but that extension should still work correctly.

Let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• MarkBramhall
    MarkBramhall
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Drew, I'll read the articles. One more question: I'm not running Yosemite; I have OSX 10.6.8. Any problems you foresee with that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MarkBramhall: The primary concern with Snow Leopard is that it is no longer receiving security patches, and of course over time fewer and fewer apps will work there — chief among them being browsers. But as far as when Mozilla might drop support for Snow Leopard (or other OSes), your guess is as good as mine. Otherwise, 1Password 4 requires Mountain Lion, and 1Password 5 requires Yosemite. I hope this helps! :)

• Martin Klein
    Martin Klein
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I cannot get the 1password icon to show up any more in firefox 40.0.2
    This happened occasionally in older versions, but was usually fixed by
    restarting firefox, now it isn't.
    Also I get a message "1password cannot be verified for use with firefox,
    use with caution" in the add-ons section.
    It is working fine in Safari though...

please advise,
    Martin

ipassword version 3.8.22, macbook 2008, OSX 10.6.8

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The message you are getting about being cautious is because Firefox is moving to a system where extension can't be used unless they are signed. In version 40, users are being warned. But a couple of versions from now, such extensions can't be installed at all. AgileBits has said that by then, their extension will be signed.

I don't know why you aren't seeing the 1Password extension's icon in your Firefox extension, though. You've obviously looked at the extension in the Tools menu and verified that it is on.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Martin Klein I have moved your post to an existing thread dealing with the same issue. Please see this AgileBits post in this thread for the various options you may have as a 1P3 user.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The merging going on here makes for a funky thread at the moment.

For anybody reading this, we have an article on the issues of 1Password 3 with Firefox 40 and it can be found at 1Password 3 extension missing in Firefox 40 or later.

• nickwhite
    nickwhite
    Community Member
    Options

I was using v3.8.21 but the toolbar icon disappeared after a restart today on my MBP - I presume because the OS updated on the restart and that version was not compatible?.
    With much trepidation, and fearing I had lost all my saved passwords, I tried loading v5, which I was unaware even existed before!
    After several failed attempts I eventually dragged the icon from the desktop to the App folder and deleted all the failed versions (except for my original 3.8.21 - I was too scared to dump that) and that seemed to do the trick for me - v5.3.2 now working fine on my MBP OS10.10.5 although the program icon says 1Password 5 2.
    So far my previously saved passwords seem to have transferred over ok (phew).

This discussion has been closed.