iOS 1Password can only fill passwords from the primary vault not the other ones?

Options
sagikazarmark
sagikazarmark
Community Member

I am trying to use 1Password on iOS. At work we have a shared 1Password keychain with common passwords. I would like to use it on my iPad to fill in passwords, but 1Password only allow me to do from the Primary vault. There is no way to change to any other. Even if I change the vault in the app, the password filling window still asks me my primary vault password.

Is it a bug or this feature does not exist.

1Password Version: 5.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 8
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Vaults

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sagikazarmark,

The vault cannot be switched from within the Safari extension, but if you change vaults in 1Password > Settings > Vaults the extension will also use the selected one for filling, once unlocked.

Thanks!

Ben

• sagikazarmark
    sagikazarmark
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bwoodruff,

This is not working on iOS. I change the vault, but when I try to unlock it when using it in an application (for example in Prompt or Coda) it only accepts the password of the primary vault.

Are there any plans to make vault changing possible from the extension?

Thanks!

Mark

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mark ( @sagikazarmark ),

I'm sorry for the confusion here. Whether you are unlocking from the main app or the app extension, you will always unlock 1Password using the Master Password of your primary vault. All secondary vaults will be accessible then as well.

At this time, the app extension displays what is called an 'all vaults' view. You should see all relevant items (matched Logins, and Identities and Credit Card items) in the extension, no matter which vault you are viewing in the main app. Are you missing items when viewing the app extension?

As for plans about changing vaults from inside the extension, I would be happy to mention to our team that you'd like to see a feature like this. :)

• sagikazarmark
    sagikazarmark
    Community Member
    Options

Actually I can only see logins of the primary vault. In case of prompt (which is an SSH client) it would be good if I could see Server credentials as well. So yes, I am missing some items (every item for secondary vaults).

As for vault changing: the all vaults solution is good, but I think having the possibility to change the vault in the extension would be even better. Also, the main application (iOS, Android) could have a "fast changing" option meaning one can change the vault without going into the settings. Maybe a select box somewhere in the main window?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sagikazarmark.

We actually introduced a vault switcher in the main app in v5.5. You can find it in the upper left hand corner of the screen. There is still ongoing discussion about how to best handle this in other aspects.

Thanks!

Ben

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @sagikazarmark,

Actually I can only see logins of the primary vault. In case of prompt (which is an SSH client) it would be good if I could see Server credentials as well. So yes, I am missing some items (every item for secondary vaults).

The 1Password app extension does not display your entire database. It will display the following:

• Login items (username and password combinations saved with a URL) that match the URL you are currently viewing. This is different than 1Password mini in the desktop version of 1Password because on iOS the extension does not have the ability to open URLS. Since it can only fill on a page that is already open, you will not see the entire list of Logins, only ones that can be filled in on the page you are viewing.
    • Identity items (for filling in shipping forms, or when signing up for a new service).
    • Credit Card items (for filling in online forms).

You'll notice that server credentials are not included here. If you need to make use of these credentials via the extension, you may want to save the relevant details as a Login item.

I hope this helps!

If there are items in the above categories in any vault that not being properly displayed in the 1Password app extension, please let us know.

• sagikazarmark
    sagikazarmark
    Community Member
    Options

Are there any particular reasons for this limitation?

Also, I don't want to save server credentials as a login...because they are server credentials and 1Password is smart enough to provide a way to store them specifically.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sagikazarmark,

Unfortunately, I can't give you much more of a reason than I already did in my previous reply. The app extension is limited (slightly) by what the iOS permits extensions to do, and we have chosen to keep it as simple as possible. We want the 1Password app extension to be a quick and simple process for users: get the information you need, fill the website, and get back to what you're doing. Displaying non-Login items here (or other items, such as server credentials which cannot be filled in on websites) doesn't make much sense, because the user can't do much with them in the context of the mobile browser.

I hope this helps to explain our reasoning here. :)

• sagikazarmark
    sagikazarmark
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I think there is kind of a misunderstanding here. I specifically mentioned that I use an application (Prompt) and NOT mobile browser.

While I understand the reasoning (and I tend to agree with it), I also think that there might be several ways to workaround that limitation. Keeping things simple with zero-configuration is good, but I think that there is room for something more. For example there is a "Show all login" button in the extension, why not a show all items button as well.

I am not trying to serve with solutions here, also I understand that my problem is not a bug, but lack of feature (which I hope might change in the future). Thanks for answering all my questions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sagikazarmark: Ah, thanks for the clarification. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding! Indeed, we're working on ways to make managing multiple vaults a bit more, well...manageable. Thanks for letting us know how you'd like it to work. We've taken some steps in this direction in the latest version, but we're not done yet! We'll continue to work to improve this in the future. :)

• sagikazarmark
    sagikazarmark
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks, I am pretty satisfied with 1Password and it is because the continuous development. Keep up the good work! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you! I'm glad to hear it. We're not finished yet! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.