switching from web site version to App Store version

Options
bpkoehler
bpkoehler
Community Member

I have a few questions regarding a possible switch from using the web site version to the mac app store version. I have been a customer for many years now and love your product but I'm finding it hard to stay in sync with all my different computers and iOS devices. It appears that the easiest way to keep my devices in sync is to use the Apple App Store version (the one that costs $50). I have multiple computers, and multiple iOS devices and want this all to work seamlessly. I currently own the AgileBits web version 5, as well as the iOS app.

Questions:

• If I buy the Apple App Store version for my computer, do I need a separately purchased iOS app store version? (thanks to Apple for making that whole confusion between app stores) I already own iOS versions on my iPhone, iPads.

• (This kind of ties in with question above...) there is a new extension in the iOS version that allows me to press the "share" icon at the top of the safari page and find the 1password to use for signing in to the website. (i used to have to go to 1Pass, find my login copy and then go back and paste in my login) If I make the switch to the App Store version for my computer, will the iOS version work the same as I use it now?

• Does the App Store version use a Master Password as my web version does, or does the App Store version use your Apple/iCould ID when the program asks me for my password? Can I set up a "master" password that is different from my Apple ID password?

thanks for the info and help!
Brooke

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: wi-fi maybe?
Referrer: kb:bundle-license, kb:sync-options, kb:mac-app-store-vs-agilebits-store, kb:switch-from-agilebits-store, kb:license-file-faq

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Let's see...

You already have the iOS version from the iTunes App Store (yes, Apple hasn't helped with this confusion). That's the only place you can get it, so there is nothing more for you to buy for all of your iOS devices, as long as all are using the same AppleID. And the extension you describe for the iOS version will indeed continue to work, regardless of where you purchased the desktop application. This is completely unrelated to where you buy the desktop application.

Because 1Password licenses are sold on a per user. per platform basis, your purchase of a license from the Mac App Store for OS X won't affect your licensing for iOS, one way or the other.

The Mac App Store version uses the same master password process that the AgileBits web store does. The master password is in no way tied to your AppleID password. In fact, you shouldn't use the same one for Apple business and for your secure passwords. Your license from the Mac App Store will be tied to the AppleID you use to buy it, though, and you can install that on as many OS X devices as you wish, so long as all use the same AppleID. You can still share that license with as many as five other family members in the same household if you enable Family Sharing. With the AgileBits web store version, you can share the same way, but Family Sharing isn't required to do that.

Now, you didn't ask this, but my question to you is why you don't just use your current versions and sync with Dropbox? It works just as well as iCloud, and it has some advantages over it. For example, you can't share vaults over iCloud, and iCloud will not sync more than one vault. Dropbox allows sharing and multiple vaults. Lots of folks use it, including many of the AgileBits staff. It is every bit as secure as iCloud, because your data are secured by your strong master password, not by the cloud solution you use for synchronizing your data. This obviously is a personal preference, and some users feel strongly about it, but you say you are trying to simplify your life by spending an additional $49.99 that you don't really need to spend and which won't actually make the process any simpler.

Edit: If you do finally decide the Mac App Store version is what you want, when you make the switch, be sure the follow the directions on Switching from the AgileBits Web Store to the Mac App Store Version.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bpkoehler,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us with your questions here. @hawkmoth has done an excellent job answering them, and I have very little to add. I'd just like to share this link which outlines the differences between the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password 5:

Should I buy 1Password from the AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store?

1Password 5 for Mac is unique to the 1Password repertoire in that it's the only one available from two different places, with two slightly different versions (not counting betas). And the main differences are just iCloud sync and licensing; otherwise, the apps function identically.

And I'll also take this moment to echo hawkmoth's Dropbox sync recommendation. It's what I use to sync my data, and it's just as seamless and automatic as iCloud, and available in every current version of 1Password.

Whichever you choose, we thank you for using 1Password, and we're here to help if you have any other questions for us. :)

This discussion has been closed.