Can't uninstall 1Password 5.x [resolved; successfully reinstalled/reconfigured, with Dropbox sync]

Options
yankeeinlondon
yankeeinlondon
Community Member
edited August 2015 in Mac

I realised recently that my sync using icloud was not working with my iMac (the iPad, iPhone, and MBP were all communicating fine). I then decided to uninstall and reinstall 1password and switch all devices to use Dropbox as the sync mechanism. I have switched to Dropbox with no issues but I can not seem to remove 1Password from the iMac.

I removed the "agilebits" folders in ~/Library/Containers but there are some files that remain in use (a sql-lite file amongst others) so it's not a completely clean removal. I then restarted and hoped to remove the remaining files ... I think I was able to do so and when I start up the application it gives me the welcome screen that a new user would get but then the window just disappears and I'm left with no user interface.

If I look at the the preference I can see that there are no vaults and most of the values are greyed out but there appears to be no way to create a new vault or start to make the app start working well enough that I could sync it up to Dropbox. I'm at a complete loss on what to do next.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud => Dropbox

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure if your objective is to completely uninstall the Mac application, but if that's what you want, the directions are here:

How do I uninstall 1Password?

• yankeeinlondon
    yankeeinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

yeah i used those directions but they didn't work :(

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Did you follow the first step exactly, by properly and fully quitting 1P (i.e., not simply using ⌘Q)?

Stephen

• yankeeinlondon
    yankeeinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

Dragging the folder to the desktop you mean? Yes. Exactly.

• yankeeinlondon
    yankeeinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

I did notice that dragging the specified folder to the desktop as specified only copies the folder (this is because I have located this folder on different physical media than the boot drive). So as an added measure I explicitly deleted the folder that used to reside in the "Containers" folder.

• yankeeinlondon
    yankeeinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

Also after a first failed attempt, I then decided to take it one step further which was to remove the com.agilebits.onepassword-osx folder too.

• yankeeinlondon
    yankeeinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

the problem -- which you probably expected -- is that when emptying the trash their are files which are still in use and therefore have not been deleted. Possibly these are deleted on reboot but my fear is that they are not.

• yankeeinlondon
    yankeeinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

Remember, my goal in removing this is just so I can start with a clean slate to RE-INSTALL 1Password.

• yankeeinlondon
    yankeeinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

After restarting I get this screen:

But clicking on the "Let's get Started" button drops the UI completely, though the program remains running. Looking at the Preferences they are pretty broken including NO vaults:

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

the problem -- which you probably expected -- is that when emptying the trash their are files which are still in use and therefore have not been deleted.

That's the reason I asked:

Did you follow the first step exactly, by properly and fully quitting 1P (i.e., not simply using ⌘Q)?

To quote from the link you were given:

Quit 1Password and 1Password mini: Open 1Password and select 1Password in the menubar. While in the menu, hold down the Control key on your keyboard. The entry at the bottom should now say Quit 1Password and 1Password mini. Select it.

Did you hold down the ⌃ key as instructed?

Stephen

• yankeeinlondon
    yankeeinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I believe so but I will try again now.

• yankeeinlondon
    yankeeinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

It seems to make no difference in the end effect. It does seem to more cleaning exit the app when holding down the control key (aka, I can delete the "trash" with no apps holding references to those files). Still when I reboot, the sequence I diagramed above repeats and I'm still dead in the water. :(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @yankeeinlondon,

So as you've discovered, ensuring 1Password mini has terminated is essential because it keeps data in memory and is accessing files. Just as essential is the reboot because of aggressive caching by OS X. Some really funky stuff happens if you don't do both.

Now it may very well be something odd going on because you're using a remote profile - we don't often see that at all so here is what I would like you to do for us please.

I would like you to carefully go through all of the steps in How do I start over with an empty vault? again for us please but after you've finished rebooting your Mac I would like you to go back and confirm there is no evidence of any of the files that should be deleted.

Next I would like you to go to System Preferences > iCloud and click the Manage... button. In there you will likely see the an entry for 1Password as you were saying you were using iCloud until you experience issues. Select the 1Password entry if it is there and delete please. If something was broken before maybe it's interfering with starting over in some unexpected way. I'm only suggesting deleting the iCloud data because you say you've successfully switched to Dropbox so iCloud only represents old data now.

After that, does 1Password behave any better?

If it doesn't maybe something is being logged and we can see if anything obvious is occurring. For us to check the log I would like you to create a Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• yankeeinlondon
    yankeeinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

The one difference you suggested from what I'd done before was going into the iCloud settings and so I gave this altered approach a whirl. In my iCloud settings I found not one but two VERY similarly named and sized settings configurations. I deleted both and when I started 1password I then got:

And from there pointing to my Dropbox share was a breeze. I'm not 100% up and running. Thanks for the help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @yankeeinlondon,

I'm glad to hear you've successfully reinstalled and reconfigured 1Password. Maybe removing unnecessary 1Password data from iCloud did make a difference.

I'm not 100% up and running.

I do believe you mean now? :lol:

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome, on behalf of everyone who helped you get 1Password up and running again! :+1:

• yankeeinlondon
    yankeeinlondon
    Community Member
    Options

Oh yes I meant "I AM 100% up and running". :+1:

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Perfect. :chuffed:

If you have any other issues or questions we're here to help. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.