Manual Save new Login not working for Library eBook Overdrive

Options
Nekoninda
Nekoninda
Community Member

I am unable to get 1Password to create a login for the eBook section of the Santa Fe Public Library sign in page. https://santafenm.libraryreserve.com/10/50/en/SignIn.htm?URL=default.htm

When I go to this page, and select Save new Login from either the Safari browser plugin or 1Password Mini, nothing visible happens, except that the 1Password menu disappears. In contrast, when I select Save new Login from this forum page, I get a New Login window. However, I've tried Save new Login on about ten other websites, for which I do have a saved and working 1Password login, and for all of them, the Save new Login function fails to work, in the same way that it doesn't work for the Santa Fe Library site. Perhaps this is because the pages that I land on after using the 1Password login don't have a password field. But this forum page doesn't have a password field, either, and it will give me a 1Password New Login window. If any of this is "normal" 1Password behavior, it would be very helpful to provide some sort of a warning, feedback, or error message, rather than have nothing happen, when I choose Save new Login.

I suspect that 1Password is confused in some way. When I click on the 1Password Safari browser icon, the normal 1Password menu opens, with my Albuquerque Library login listed in the menu under the word Search and above Password Generator. It seems like 1Password might be thinking that these two library pages are the same. The Albuquerque Library page has a completely different URL, different login fields, and requires different login information. https://albuquerque.libraryreserve.com/10/50/en/SignIn.htm?URL=Default.htm

Both library system use the same eBook administration software, called Overdrive. However, they are independent municipal systems. They don't share borrowing privileges and they don't have the same eBook collections. The Santa Fe library eBook login page requires only the library card number. The Albuquerque login page requires a library card number and a 4-digit PIN.

I created the Albuquerque 1Password login first, and it works fine. Then I attempted, and was unable to create a 1Password login for the Santa Fe Library. I can log in manually, that is without any aid from 1Password, by typing in my library card number. Can you help me create a 1Password login for this site?

I've read the Knowledge Base and Forum articles relating to Save new Login problems, and I didn't find one that described the problem that I am having. I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro, Yosemite 10.10.5 with all updates, Safari 8.0.8, 1Password 5.3.2, and Safari extension plugin 4.4.2, which appears to be the newest available.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You didn't say so explicitly, so I will have to ask: Have your tried following the directions on How to manually save a Login? I expect you probably have, but if you have not, it is certainly is worth trying.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nekoninda,

I did try to delve in and see precisely why but I felt like a blind man in a labyrinth by the end. It is likely the cause is the lack of the password field which we use as a strong indicator that this is a Login page. In this case hawkmoth's suggestion will work as I've tested it myself.

As you can imagine, the trick is to have 1Password ask you when it's right to do so and not to nag you with times when it isn't. One normally solid way is if there is a password field present.

Should you find the How to manually save a Login guide doesn't work for you like I found it did for me please do let us know.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@Nekoninda - Sorry for misreading your post.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nekoninda,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such detailed posts! On a forum where we so often see users post a single sentence to explain their issue, its rather refreshing to see a more in-depth description.

I think there's definitely something weird going on, and we'll see what we can do to get to the bottom of this. Now, there is a lot of information here, so I just want to confirm that I've got all the details correct.

When I click on the 1Password Safari browser icon, the normal 1Password menu opens, with my Albuquerque Library login listed in the menu under the word Search and above Password Generator.

I'm seeing the same thing. I have two test Logins; one for the Sante Fe library, and one that I created earlier for a Portland library, and they both show up for me when I'm viewing the Sante Fe library site. Do you have 'Lenient URL Matching' enabled in Preferences > Browser? This setting determines how precise 1Password is when matching Logins to the URL that you're visiting. Here's how that works/should work in this situation:

As I said before, when I type in my correct Library Card Number in the web page's "Library card number" field, and I choose "Save new Login" from the 1Password menu, nothing happens. I just discovered that when I type in the wrong library card number, and choose "Save new Login" from the 1Password menu, 1Password does show the "1Password Save Login" window. It is not simply a matter of making a change in the text that I have entered in the field. If I enter the wrong library card number, and then change it back to the correct number, 1Password will not show me the "1Password Save Login" window.

So it appears that 1Password will only allow me to save a new login on this page if I enter incorrect information.

Weird. That could by why I'm able to use the 'Save new Login' steps when testing... I'm using a fake card number. Just to confirm, you do not currently have a Login saved somewhere for the Sante Fe library with your correct card number?

However, I think I will wait on doing that experiment, until I hear some response on the problem that I am having.

If you're looking for the quickest way to get this solved, my advice would be to do as you suggested - save the incorrect card information, and then edit the entry to include your correct card information and see if that fills correctly. Of course, we're happy to continue to troubleshoot this further to see if we can get a better idea of where things are getting tangled up, so that we can improve 1Password's behaviour here in the future.

Please let me know if creating an entry this way at least gets you a working Login for this site!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Derek ( @Nekoninda ),

Thanks so much for confirming all of that for me! I'm so glad that we've gotten to the point where you have a useable Login (even though we had to go a bit of a circuitous route to get there.)

I'll mention this odd behaviour with 'Lenient URL Matching' to our developers to see if we can't get 1Password behaving a little bit better here.

ref: OPM-3042

This discussion has been closed.