Multiple copies error message when only one copy is present

bwn
bwn
Community Member
edited August 2015 in Mac

I’ve used 1 Password for 6-8 months now, & it’s worked fairly well. My 27in iMac is about a year old & I recently downloaded Yosemite 10.10.4.

Now most of my “memorized” log ins do not open unless I type in UN & PW by hand. I am getting an error msg: "We’ve got a Problem The system launched an incorrect version of 1 PW mini.

Instead of ‘/App/1PW.app/Contents/Loginitems” it started ‘/Volumes/BackUp HD1/Applications/1PW.app/Contents/Library/Loginitems’.”

Clicking “Learn More” takes me to “How to remove multiple conflicting copies of 1PW from your system” Checking my downloads & app folders, I can find only one copy of 1PW, the one I

downloaded from the Mac App Store.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: OS 10.10.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search: I’ve use 1 Password for 6-8 months now, & it’s worked fairly well. My 27in iMac is about a year old & I recently downloaded Yosemite 10.10.4. Now most of my “memorized” log ins do not open unless I type in UN & PW by hand. I am getting an error msg: "We’ve got a Problem The system launched an incorrect version of 1 PW mini. Instead of ‘/App/1PW.app/Contents/Loginitems” it started ‘/Volumes/BackUp HD1/Applications/1PW.app/Contents/Library/Loginitems’.” Clicking “Learn More” takes me to “How to remove multiple conflicting copies of 1PW from your system” Checking my downloads & app folders, I can find only one copy of 1PW, the one I downloaded from the Mac App Store. Help please. bwn

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

Do you have any attached backup volumes? Yosemite gets aggressive enough that it will sometimes find and launch those.

I am going going to delete your duplicate post to avoid confusion. And I will also edit your post title to help others know from reading it what your issue is.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

Hi @bwn,

hawkmoth is correct and it's all to do with the way we have to register 1Password mini with OS X. We cannot specify an exact path and so it's up to Spotlight and launchd to find 1Password mini when asked to launch it. Unfortunately it's looking through your backup drive that is connected before it is checking the /Applications/ folder. Now the actual 1Password application bundle doesn't contain any of your user data so if you were to exclude the actual application from your backup and delete the extra copy of 1Password this error would disappear.

We realise it's annoying but I spent some time looking into this and pestering the devs to discover what they already knew - there currently isn't another way to register the 1Password mini helper app. The issue only affects those that have multiple copies of 1Password either because they weren't aware there was a second copy e.g. hidden in their Downloads folder or those where the backup disk is permanently mounted.

If you have any follow up questions at all please do ask.

• bwn
    bwn
    Community Member

I back up with Super Duper each night to a Seagate HD. I've deleted 1PW from it. When I click on 1PW icon in the dock, a ? shows up superimposed over the icon. Shall I just delete the whole 1PW app & star over? If so how specifically?
    Thank you for your help. bwn

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bwn,

According to the error message you included in your original message, the extra copy of 1Password was in the following location (on your backup drive): /Volumes/BackUp HD1/Applications/1Password.app

Is that where you deleted the 1Password app? Did deleting the app seem to cause the icon in the Dock to start showing the question mark?

The icon in the Dock isn't the actual 1Password app, it's just a shortcut (alias) to the real app file. If that shortcut was pointing to the copy of the 1Password app on your backup drive, and you deleted that copy of the app, that would explain why you're now seeing the question mark (i.e. the shortcut can no longer find the app it was pointing to). You shouldn't be trying to run 1Password from your backup drive anyway, so you can go ahead and drag the 1Password icon out of the Dock (or right-click the app icon in the Dock and go to Options, then uncheck Keep in Dock).

Next, go to the main Applications folder on your Mac (Macintosh HD/Applications/). Find the 1Password app there, and drag that to the Dock to add a new (working) shortcut. Now you should be able to open 1Password by either clicking the icon in the Dock, or by double-clicking the app in Applications.

Please let us know how it goes. We're here for you if you need more help! :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

@bwn - And be sure to exclude the 1Password application from your future Super Duper backups. I had to do that for Carbon Copy Cloner and also exclude it from Time Machine backups, which I also use, to stop those messages from reappearing.

Another approach, with Carbon Copy Cloner at least, is to have the backup software unmount the drive after it finishes its backup.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

++ Thanks @hawkmoth! :) I meant to mention that, but forgot.

• bwn
    bwn
    Community Member

Hawkmoth& Drew, Thanks. So how do I exclude 1PW app from future SD backups? This happens every night. My backup already shows the presence of 1PW... Should I delete it from the backup HD & then never allow it to be included in my SD daily backup? bwn

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I don't know your backup software, so I can't tell you what to do to stop Super Duper from backing up a particular file. I do know that the option to do that sort of thing exists in Carbon Copy Cloner, and I seem to recall another thread about this problem that said Super Duper can too. I'm sure the documentation for Super Duper will tell you how to do that, though. And when you figure out how, then, yes, you should never allow Super Duper to back it up anymore. Also, delete the app from the Super Duper drive from your earlier backups.

This isn't really any worry for you. If you should ever need to restore your hard drive, you can always download a fresh copy of 1Password from AgileBits or the Mac App Store, depending one where your license originally was bought.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I believe it is easy in Carbon Copy Cloner. But rather more difficult in SuperDuper, though it can be done. I've never got round to doing it.

A simpler approach, which seems to be working for me but is less guaranteed to work, is to exclude the backup drives from Spotlight.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @danco! :)

@bwn, I hope that helps, but I'm sorry we don't know the specific steps to exclude specific files from being backed up by Super Duper. I'm guessing you should be able to find information about that in Super Duper documentation (possibly online), or you can try danco's suggestion of excluding your backup drive from Spotlight (which you can do from System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy). Please let us know how it goes and it you have more questions about that! :)

• bwn
    bwn
    Community Member

Gentlemen,

Problem solved—finally,

I contacted 1PSW support & they were very helpful.

Ultimately I deleted all 1PSW apps & extensions from my HD & my Seagate backup HD and then reinstalled 1PSW from the Apple app store.

Now it works.

Thank you for your help.

Best, Bruce aka bwn

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bwn,

I'm glad you managed to find a way of excluding 1Password from your backups. It's annoying for sure but as long as we rely on Spotlight it's the best option, especially as you can easily download 1Password again regardless of where you purchased it.

This discussion has been closed.