Lock settings not shared

Options
asukulu
asukulu
Community Member

Just updated my 1password for IOS. The update notes say that main and extension now share lock settings. I have mine set to lock after 10 minutes but the extension is not staying unlocked. Every time I open it , it's locked again as it was before the update.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options
  • tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

Is this not obvious? 5.5 is the update that introduces lock sharing - what else could he have updated to?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you read other posts on the forums you'll discover people read about the latest features but think they have them even though they don't have the latest version. :) It's always safest to say what version you are actually using if you want the best advice: which, of course, is why I sought confirmation that @asukulu is in fact using 1P 5.5 for iOS.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @asukulu ,

Could you please check in your Settings > Security and ensure that 'Lock on Exit' is not enabled? If 'Lock on Exit' is enabled, then each time you move away from 1Password, whether it is the app or the extension, 1Password will lock.

I hope this clears things up, but if you're still seeing something weird, please do confirm your version information (both for the app and your iOS) as Stephen suggested.

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member
    Options

I had to put a pin code and that fixed it. Not sure why or why that information isn't in the knowledge base though.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @asukulu,

I'm not entirely sure I follow. Are you saying your lock settings are only respected when using a PIN, and not the Master Password? If using the Master Password (no PIN enabled) the extension always opens locked?

Please let us know.

Ben

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi yes that's exactly what I'm saying. By the way I am using iPad 8.4.1. 1password is the most recent, just updated a few days ago. Not sure what number that is but definitely the latest

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @asukulu,

Thanks for clarifying! I've spoken to our development team, and this is correct behaviour. When you do not have a PIN enabled, your Master Password is not stored in the iOS keychain. This means, that when you go into the app extension, it has no way to unlock automatically (there's no password in the keychain to reference.)

Does this make sense?

Not sure why or why that information isn't in the knowledge base though.

I'll pass these details along to our documentation team, I think this would be great to have in our guides!

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

On iPad with PIN (no Touch ID) I cannot get 1Password 5.5 to remember the lock settings between the extension and app. On my iPhone 6 Plus (with Touch ID), I do see the expected behavior.

iPad Air 1 settings (picture below)
    Lock on Exit: disabled
    Auto-Lock: 1 hour
    PIN Code: enabled

iPhone 6 Plus settings (picture below)
    Lock on Exit: disabled
    Auto-Lock: 1 hour
    Touch ID: enabled

Steps to Reproduce on iPad Air:
    1. Lock 1Password (Settings > Security > Lock Now) if it is unlocked.
    2. In Safari, browse to a website whose login credentials are stored in 1Password.
    3. Activate the 1Password share extension in Safari. You will be prompted for the Master Password.
    4. Authenticate with your Master Password.
    5. Fill in the login credentials if desired.
    6. Browse to another website whose login credentials are stored in 1Password.
    7. Activate the 1Password share extension in Safari.

Alternatively, for Step 6 you can launch the 1Password app instead of browsing to another website.

Expected behavior:
    1Password opens without prompting for Master Password.

Actual behavior:
    1Password prompts for Master Password.

It is reproducible every time.

On iPhone with Touch ID, I am not prompted for the Master Password again after authenticating via the extension.

iPad settings:

iPhone settings:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @verdi1987,

Thanks for sharing such a detailed description of what you're seeing! It seems that the Master Password isn't being properly stored in the iOS keychain. Let's try this:

• Go to Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings and enable 'Lock' and 'UI Lock' (just in case)
    • Disable the PIN code
    • Reboot the device
    • Then re-enable PIN code

Does this make a difference? If not, we'd like you to generate a Diagnostics Report from your iPad, which will include those handy log files:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @Megan.

Disabling and re-enabling the PIN resolve the issue. Thank you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @verdi1987,

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out!

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan. After upgrading to 1Password 6.0 on my iPad Air, I again encountered the issue described above (unlocking 1Password via the extension does not unlock the main app). I resolved the issue again by disabling and re-enabling the PIN. I did not encounter the issue on my iPhone 6 Plus.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@verdi1987: Thanks for the update! I've encountered some similar issues after upgrading myself, but as you pointed out, often simply re-setting will right things (for me, Touch ID was the culprit). You should be all set, but be sure to reach out if you encounter any further issues. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.